Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

insurance question on an ls1 TA

This is a discussion on insurance question on an ls1 TA within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by boobs how about u think about it.. there is not one person in this world that can ...

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by boobs
    how about u think about it.. there is not one person in this world that can shift a 6 speed faster tahn and automatic tranny..
    Im 18 with a '99 LS1 Z28. I was 17 when i bought the car and my parents were nice enough to let me put it in their name. We have full coverage and I am the secondary driver. It saves so much - there is no other way to do it. We have allstate - I have no tickets or accidents (i think thats a mirracle at my age with an LS1) and the i have the good student discount. It is $2400 a year for my car under my parents name. (They have clean records too) If i was the primary driver it would have been something like $7000 a year.

As for that transmission get a 6spd. You can shift a 6spd faster than an A4 goes. Automatics have less rwhp than a 6spd. Also i think a 6spd is way more fun - for burnouts and racing. Go ride in a A4 then a 6spd and tell me which is more fun. And the A4 shifts sooooooo slow. You will be cruising all the time if you buy a T/A and the A4 will get boring.
    Also since i assume you are in high school everyone thinks that a manual is so badass. All the retarded people that get into your car are like "how does this work" Since most teenagers are losers and drive their parents car or something that they think is cool (like a grand am) get a manual. My parking lot at school has about 350 cars and i know of 3 that are manual. One is me, then another '99 Z28 and then a '01 mustang GT.

6spd for life!

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    l have a 97 LT1 formula and l am 23. l pay 100 bucks a month. by the way l ma married and never wrecked, never got any ticket.. clean record.

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ

As for that transmission get a 6spd. You can shift a 6spd faster than an A4 goes.
    man, nobody can shift as fast as auto in 6 speed.. l always say hands down 6 speed, more fun more power but about shifting.. auto never misses gear and shift smooth and fast!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by doodad.
    man, nobody can shift as fast as auto in 6 speed.. l always say hands down 6 speed, more fun more power but about shifting.. auto never misses gear and shift smooth and fast!
    and if you build up the auto, there's no chance in hell the standard can keep up...

there's a reason why almost every drag racer perfers automatics..

but I still wish I had a 6speed just for the fun factor... plus when I'm rolling at like 80mph on the highway and some crappy Cobalt SS comes up and wants to race... I wanna stomp them instead of only slightly beating them... the auto just isn't geared right for that

also... those super-charged Cobalt SS' are somethin' fierce... lemme tell ya... although when we punched it at 80, I pulled on him the whole time, and once we hit 100, I was pullin way past him cuz his tiny motor starting to wuss-out... but still... a 6-speed, I could have dropped it into 4th and just taken off...

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    and if you build up the auto, there's no chance in hell the standard can keep up...

there's a reason why almost every drag racer perfers automatics..

but I still wish I had a 6speed just for the fun factor... plus when I'm rolling at like 80mph on the highway and some crappy Cobalt SS comes up and wants to race... I wanna stomp them instead of only slightly beating them... the auto just isn't geared right for that

also... those super-charged Cobalt SS' are somethin' fierce... lemme tell ya... although when we punched it at 80, I pulled on him the whole time, and once we hit 100, I was pullin way past him cuz his tiny motor starting to wuss-out... but still... a 6-speed, I could have dropped it into 4th and just taken off...
    l didnt say nothing about A4s are slower or faster.. l just said autos shift faster.. fastest shifter cant shift as smooth as auto and as fast as computer.

also, at 80mph, l would have dropped to the 3rd

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

if you drop to 3rd, then won't you be at like 5k rpm anyways? seems like a waste if you have to immediately shift back to 4th... seems that you'd be better off tossin it to 4th

Don't list yourself as primary on the car do it as secondary. I have a 2001 Formula NHRA edition and I am 16 and it is $220 a month full coverage with state farm. Also kids can have fast cars. I mean I have a full-bolt on ls1 with ported heads and a custom ground cam and I drive the car everyday and go to the track just about every weekend and run it on motor and on the kit. So I dont want to hear young people dont need fast cars. I guess I'm just an exception and I am a highly skilled mofo.

Well you wouldn't have dropped to third with 4:10 gears. And if you did 5k wouldn't be too high especially if you spin your car to 6800 like me!!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Dude you should know your car better then that by now...if you have to go from a high roll make it inbetween 50-70mph. Otherwise the tranny will be in a "dead spot" and not downshift.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ
    As for that transmission get a 6spd. You can shift a 6spd faster than an A4 goes. Automatics have less rwhp than a 6spd. Also i think a 6spd is way more fun - for burnouts and racing. Go ride in a A4 then a 6spd and tell me which is more fun. And the A4 shifts sooooooo slow. You will be cruising all the time if you buy a T/A and the A4 will get boring.
    Also since i assume you are in high school everyone thinks that a manual is so badass. All the retarded people that get into your car are like "how does this work" Since most teenagers are losers and drive their parents car or something that they think is cool (like a grand am) get a manual. My parking lot at school has about 350 cars and i know of 3 that are manual. One is me, then another '99 Z28 and then a '01 mustang GT.

6spd for life!
    Stalled auto ....nough said

if you drop to 3rd, then won't you be at like 5k rpm anyways? seems like a waste if you have to immediately shift back to 4th... seems that you'd be better off tossin it to 4th
    with T/A. if l am gonna race and l am at 80 mph. l would definetely drop to 3rd and jump. l can drive T/A up to 100 mph in 3rd gear (maybe a little bit less).. well l would drop to 3rd l dont know other guys..
    Last edited by Musclefan21; 04-27-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Dude you should know your car better then that by now...if you have to go from a high roll make it inbetween 50-70mph. Otherwise the tranny will be in a "dead spot" and not downshift.

well I was driving on the highway at 80mph when the cobalt inched his way up to me... I'm not gonna immediately slow down to 60, then start racing him... doesn't work like that...

but definitely a 6speed would help in a situation like that...

05 Wrangler

well I was driving on the highway at 80mph when the cobalt inched his way up to me... I'm not gonna immediately slow down to 60, then start racing him... doesn't work like that...

but definitely a 6speed would help in a situation like that...
    Why not? Stick your hand out the window and motion to slow down...if he wants to run then he'll do it.

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1471
    Male, 22 years old, no tickets or accidents, college and safe driver discounts. Allstate 9986.00 yes the decimal is in the right spot. this is full coverage. Ended up putting it in my mothers name and it is something like 600 a year with me as a driver.
    wtf why so high/i can get like five t/a cars if not more insured.can u say rip off.

red
    2000 ws6

$510 a year for me. Homeowners will drop 20% off your car rates.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

that's why you just have the car in your parent's names.... (insurance-wise)

Awaiting Activation

black
    01 ws6

Yea im putting my trans am in my moms name with me as a driver and it's going to cost me 800 full insurance through all state 20 years old no tickets/accidents (that have been put on my record! lol)

soon to be T.A. owner

lol i think im goin for the lt1 now.

Black
    99 SS

yea my ls1 is on my mom's name, it only costs me 1,200 a year for full coverage, no tickets or accidents

soon to be T.A. owner

whats ur insurance company man.. thats cheap.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information