Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Insurance.... Holy cow

This is a discussion on Insurance.... Holy cow within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So glad my girl's parents are ex military. We're able to go through USAA. We pay $140/mo for her '04 ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

So glad my girl's parents are ex military. We're able to go through USAA. We pay $140/mo for her '04 Sentra and my '98 T/A. That's including a $100 comp deductable and $500 collision. Though I feel like dropping to $0 on my comp...

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Well guys I got the hook-up from haggerdy... 465 a year. My tahoe is my daily driver. The Bird will just have to be my every other day driver... lol

2002 Trans Am WS6

Has anybody ever actually filed a claim with Haggerdy or one of the other specialty car insurances? I would just be afraid they would try to find a loop hole out of paying or might make it difficult to get it repaird. I know with State Farm if I have a claim I just carry the car to the body shop and they fix it...no run around at all. IMO thats worth a little extra a month.
    2002 SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC WS6 #8497
    1996 ARTIC WHITE TRANS AM WS6
    1987 BRIGHT RED FORMULA 350
    1978 Trans Am SE

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Well I just got off the phone with them. They expressed that this policy is not for daily drivers... just occasional drivers. (take it for what it is) car shows and cruises etc... no 3 or 4 times a week driving to work. They said they take you at your word but at the same time it seems they could easily deny you if your in the wrong place when something goes down. Here is some stuff from their site...

Q. What kinds of vehicles qualify?
    A. The collector car market is broadening rapidly with hot rods, muscle cars, vintage pickups, historic race cars, sports and exotics and even some ’80s-era cars being collected today. Traditional antique and classic vehicles plus those mentioned above may qualify. To view a complete list check out our Do I Qualify page.
    Q. Are Hagerty’s “specialty” insurance premiums lower than “standard” premiums?
    A. Yes. Traditional insurance premiums can cost up to 5 times more than those offered by a specialty program like Hagerty’s. For example, Hagerty can cover a stock vehicle valued at $10,000 for as little as $110 per year.
    Q. What is the difference between Hagerty's "Agreed Value" coverage and other types of insurance coverage?
    A. Agreed Value insurance policies guarantee that you will receive the full insured value of your vehicle in the event of a total loss. There is no depreciation of a vehicle’s value with an “Agreed Value” policy, unlike an “Actual Cash Value” policy, which depreciates the value of a car as it ages, or a “Stated Value” policy, which generally requires an insurer to pay only “up to” the stated amount.
    Q. Does Hagerty have a minimum premium?
    A. Yes, generally it's $100, although some states may be less.
    Q. Do you write coverage for liability only?
    A. No.
    Q. Does Hagerty offer coverage for kit cars?
    A. Yes. However, they must be high-quality kits and replicate a classic that is at least 25 years old. The rate is $1.40 per $100 of value. We do not insure Cobra replicas.
    Q. Does Hagerty write coverage for comprehensive only?
    A. Yes "comprehensive only" coverage is available when a car is undergoing restoration, part of a display (such as in a museum) or placed in long-term storage. We do not replace coverage on a seasonal basis.
    Q. How many years of driving experience is required of an insured?
    A. We are happy to discuss coverage with all enthusiasts and able to consider drivers 18 years old and older. In some states, we cannot offer coverage to drivers with less than 5 years driving experience. Underwriting guidelines, including household driving records, will apply.
    Q. When is an appraisal required?
    A. We need justification for a vehicle's value if the agreed value requested is more than any of our current value sources. We also require value documentation for street rods and customs over $75,000. Please call our Auto Service Team at 800-922-4050 or e-mail the team at auto@hagerty.com for further clarification and assistance.
    Q. How many autos do you allow on one policy?
    A. There is no limit on the number of vehicles on a given policy.
    Q. How does Hagerty process endorsements?
    A. Generally, a simple endorsement can be processed via our website (see Policy Management) or right over the phone. Occasionally, additional information may be required, such as updated photos in the case of a restoration or modification. Photos can be mailed, or e-mailed which will speed up the endorsement process. Any additional documentation that is requested can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed.
    Q. Does Hagerty accept down payments on premiums?
    A. At Hagerty, we write a full annual policy, so full payment is required. For customer convenience, we do accept Visa and Mastercard payments for the full premium. If there are any questions regarding full payment of the premium, please speak with a customer service representative.
    Q. How many photos are required for each vehicle?
    A. We need one good photo for stock (original) vehicles. We need four photos for custom or modified vehicles (full vehicle, engine, interior, and trunk). Two photos are required for classic pickups (full vehicle and truck bed).
    Q. What are Hagerty's garage requirements?
    A. Hagerty requires that all collector vehicles be stored in a private, secure, locked garage. We will consider a variety of storage locations, including home garages and rented storage units. Any questions regarding storage should be directed to a customer service representative.
    Q. What is the maximum amount of liability coverage that can be purchased?
    A. In some cases, we can write liability coverage up to $1 million. But we cannot exceed the liability limit on the personal auto policy for the regular-use vehicles in the household. For customers with an umbrella policy, please keep in mind that we cannot exceed the liability limit on the underlying personal auto policy.
    Q. Does Hagerty's policy offer spare parts coverage?
    A. A. Yes. Our policy offers $750 of coverage. If you desire more than the $750 worth of coverage included in the collector auto policy, you can increase the limit of coverage for an extra premium. This coverage is designed for parts intended for the vehicle covered on your Hagerty policy.
    Q. Can I purchase coverage for spare parts that aren’t intended for the vehicle on my Hagerty policy?
    A. Yes. We offer coverage for any spare parts, whether or not they’re intended for the vehicle insured on your Hagerty policy. This coverage is provided on a blanket, unscheduled limit basis. No deductible applies for most losses, and up to $5,000 in coverage per item is available. No detailed inventories or appraisals are required; simply select a coverage limit that represents the full replacement value of your spare parts inventory.
    Q. How does Automobilia Coverage work?
    A. Automobilia Coverage is provided on a blanket, unscheduled limit basis. No deductible applies, in most cases, and up to $5000 in coverage per item is available. No detailed inventories or schedules are required. Simply select a coverage limit that represents the full financial value of your automobilia collection.
    Q. How does Automotive Tools Coverage Work?
    A. This coverage is provided on a blanket, unscheduled limit basis. A $250 deductible applies, and up to $1,000 in coverage per item is available. No detailed inventories or schedules are required prior to insuring your collection; simply select a limit that represents the full financial value of your automotive tools.

Hagerty offers insurance for hundreds of thousands of collector vehicles used for limited pleasure driving, car shows and club events across the country. We offer full coverage for a huge variety of classic, stock, and safely-modified vehicles, including:

Antique & Classic Cars
    Exotic and Special Interest
    Fire Trucks
    Lowriders
    Military Vehicles
    Modern Classics
    Motorcycles and Scooters
    Muscle Cars
    Replicas (High Quality)
    Street Rods
    Tractors
    Trailers
    Trucks
    Vehicles Under Active Restoration

Automobilia
    Automotive Tools
    Spare Parts

Hagerty does not offer an insurance product for:
    · Inexpensive home-built kits that do not replicate a classic vehicle
    · Any vehicles used for camping, off-road or utility-type driving
    · Pro-street vehicles modified exclusively with racing features such as roll cages, wheelie caster, nitrous systems, parachutes, etc. (Consideration may be given to show-use only vehicles)
    · Regular-use vehicles driven on a daily basis
    · Vehicles used primarily for commercial use
    · Motorcycles with performance modifications
    · Any vehicle modified with nitrous, nitro-methane or blown alcohol systems are ineligible.
    · Dune Buggies

We understand that a part doesn't have to be on your car to be valuable.
    That’s why we offer an increased limit of coverage for your collector vehicle’s spare parts. This coverage is designed for parts intended for the vehicle covered on your Hagerty policy.
    · The classic auto policy already includes $750 of comprehensive (other-than-collision) coverage for spare parts for the insured collector vehicle.
    · If you desire more than the $750 worth of coverage included in the collector auto policy, you can increase the limit of coverage for an extra premium.
    We also offer coverage for all your collector vehicle spare parts—even if they’re intended for a vehicle that isn’t covered on your Hagerty policy.
    The additional coverage is easy and affordable.
    · No inventories, schedules, appraisals or receipts required
    · $0 Deductible on most losses
    · Up to $5000 in coverage per item
    · Better coverage and loss payment than a homeowners policy

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    i'm 32 with 1 ticket for I think 10 over.....I can't recall I think it was 5 over cause they said it would give me no points..... I would've fought it but I just so happened to forget my wallet that day running late for work so I had no proof of insurance or nothing... lol Cop was cool though.

I am through state farm now I think. I go through one of them agencies who have like 20 companies who they are supposed to find the best price for you.
    My house is through home owners so I think I am gonna have to see where I can cut some corners.

I did this over the phone so I'm hoping if I can actually get down there and talk to someone maybe I can get a better price.
    state farm and all state are the highest-fuck them. use progressive, that's what I have. They'll actually let you remove insurance and add it on a daily basis. So what i do is during the week, i leave the t/a with comp only, then call them on friday and put it back on full coverage for the weekend-call them on sunday night or monday morning and drop it back to Comp only. save's me a shit-ton and they never hastle me for it. Any wrecks I've had they quickly tend to.

also, they give me multi car discount for 3 cars, home-owner discount, family [married] discount. I'm now paying $650 for 6 months with the Phoenix on comp, or $1100 for full coverage on all 3 cars.
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 09-04-2008 at 11:46 PM.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    state farm and all state are the highest-fuck them. use progressive, that's what I have. They'll actually let you remove insurance and add it on a daily basis. So what i do is during the week, i leave the t/a with comp only, then call them on friday and put it back on full coverage for the weekend-call them on sunday night or monday morning and drop it back to Comp only. save's me a shit-ton and they never hastle me for it. Any wrecks I've had they quickly tend to.

also, they give me multi car discount for 3 cars, home-owner discount, family [married] discount. I'm now paying $650 for 6 months with the Phoenix on comp, or $1100 for full coverage on all 3 cars.
    I have Progressive and am pretty happy with their rates (as mentioned in my earlier post) but here's the defining factor when I spoke to a body shop about how different insurance companies work with them.

Most big insurance companies (Geico, Progressive, etc.) really push them to reduce costs by getting reproduction replacement parts and NOT OEM parts. They're pretty hard to get around with this. Ofcourse most people will be happy with their fit/finish but people like us who obsess over our cars are gonna be pissed off when things don't line up correct/etc. and we realize cheap reproductions have been pushed on the body shop by the insurance company. I think he said Statefarm and a couple of other smaller companies dont do that and they'll happily pay for original parts. This is something I have to verify with Progressive.

Also, there's a guy on another forum who had his Modded Mustang insured through Hagarty and he had an agreed upon value of a pretty high amount to cover all his mods. Well, he got in a bad accident and even though the cost of repairs exceeded the value of a stock Mustang, they wouldn't write it off 'cos of the "agreed upon" value which was like double that and paid for the huge body shop bill. So even though the car was a write off in the eyes of another insurance company, Hagarty fixed it and he's driving around in a modded salvage equivalent car ... hmmm

I'm gonna be checking into other companies just for the fun of it. I don't mind paying a little bit higher knowing that they'll take good care of you when you DO have an accident.
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 09-05-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Progressive replaced my Batmobile's bumper/fender with OEM no questions asked. I also took it to a reputable shop who prides themself on qaulity.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Nice thing about USAA is that they are not expensive and make sure your care is properly repaired with OEM parts. When I wrercked my old Cavalier they said they only had 3 shops in the city that were certified by them. This of course got me thinking great im going to be stuck going to some crappy little shop. Nope one of their shops is the local Chevrolet dealerships which also has one of the largest collision repair shops in Greensboro and they are one of the highest rated for quality in the triad. After the repairs had been done the appraiser said that he could not even tell that it was involved in a front end collision.

black
    1999 trans am ws6

mine is through american family. I have a 91 k1500 and a 99 ws6. Total for the two is just over $500 every six month. Both have full coverage with the ws6 having a $250 deductable. I also have house insurance through them as well. Guess I'm doing pretty good compaired to some of the others I've read on here.

2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    After the repairs had been done the appraiser said that he could not even tell that it was involved in a front end collision.

I am sorry...but you need to find another appraiser then. They may have done a great job but there are always tell tell signs that are fairly easy to find if your know what your looking for. I have NEVER seen car that had been fixed by a body shop (doing commercial repair work) that didnt have some issues somewhere...its just a matter of how picky you are I guess.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Progressive replaced my Batmobile's bumper/fender with OEM no questions asked. I also took it to a reputable shop who prides themself on qaulity.
    That's the whole point, a reputable repair shop that takes pride in their wont back down from using quality parts. Most do though, so it good to know who's working on your car. The repair shops just don't like working with them though 'cos it's such a hassle to get them to approve OEM parts when the insurance company keeps pointing them at reman. parts that are half the cost. The customer does have the right to demand OEM though, but not every owner is like that and they're just happy to get the car back.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 97ramsst View Post
    I am sorry...but you need to find another appraiser then. They may have done a great job but there are always tell tell signs that are fairly easy to find if your know what your looking for. I have NEVER seen car that had been fixed by a body shop (doing commercial repair work) that didnt have some issues somewhere...its just a matter of how picky you are I guess.
    It was all body damage no frame damage at all. It was all OEM parts. It was done by a USAA certified repair shop which means they have to do top notch work. Also this guy is very picky about the work when its done, USAA would not hand over the check until he and I was satisfied with work done on the car. He always handles our cars and I have two brothers that both have had their fare share of wrecks and I have personally seen him pick apart a body shops work. While it may have not been perfect it was one of the few times that he could say it looked like it just roled off the assembly line. Of course it helped that the car was less then a year old.

Blue
    2000 Firebird

Wow I cant believe how low it costs you guys. I'm 20 and have NJ manufacturers and 4 years ago when i got my 2000 v6 bird they said if it was a v8 it would cost me 3300 a year and the v6 was 2100.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by silvershot07 View Post
    Wow I cant believe how low it costs you guys. I'm 20 and have NJ manufacturers and 4 years ago when i got my 2000 v6 bird they said if it was a v8 it would cost me 3300 a year and the v6 was 2100.
    it doesn't start going down much until you have a college degree, hit 25 and get married ... lol ... which was my case

Pewter
    1999 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by silvershot07 View Post
    They told me the same thing, thing is im 15 so that doesnt help any, i really want my dad to put it on his name and put me on his buick lasaber. lol

red
    1999 Firehawk

Alot of cars it's not to hard to tell if they've been repaired or just taken apart. Much harder with the F body, with plastic components and steel quarters most F bodies look like they've been wrecked from the factory. It's impossible in a high production car to get the different materials to have great fit, color and texture to the paint. I've see brand new silver camaros that needed to have panels resprayed prior to delivery because the color was so far off.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6 m6

I'm 21 and active duty Navy, so i went to geico(Government Employees Insurance Co.), which quoted me around $1350 a year then to USAA (which is for military/ mil fams/ and prior servicemembers) and got insured for a little under $1200 a yr with a $250 deductible... its a pain in the butt, but its the price to pay for such an awesome car!!! i personally have a bad experience with state farm, because of the fact that they penalized me so much for one of my past vehicles being vandalized.. i think they are GARBAGE!!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
    So glad my girl's parents are ex military. We're able to go through USAA. We pay $140/mo for her '04 Sentra and my '98 T/A. That's including a $100 comp deductable and $500 collision. Though I feel like dropping to $0 on my comp...
    WOW!!! makes me wish i was married..... for the price difference.... is that full coverage?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme_rob View Post
    WOW!!! makes me wish i was married..... for the price difference.... is that full coverage?
    Yea that's full coverage. she's at $500/$500 deductible and i'm at $500/$100 for collision/comp respectively.

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

I just bought insurance today through allstate and fuck... Im paying $438.82 a month thats over twice the amount of my car payment they said im a high risk with one accident and two driving awards......... and only being 19

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information