Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Installing a Firehawk hood on my TA

Hi all,

I picked up a genuine Firehawk hood from a local guy. In a stroke of luck, it's already the right color but needs refinished.

I'd like to install it on my TA and realize that I need to modify my bumper cover. I'm looking for advice from people who have done it, or anyone else who has advice. Like what's the best tool to use to cut it, how to create a template, etc.

Also, from what I've read it seems that the airbox used on the Firehawk is the stock TA/Formula box and NOT the WS6 box. The WS6 box would be too tall, right? So I don't have to swap the box out. The Firehawks had special lids, but the box is the same?

Thanks!

Jim

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Hi all,

I picked up a genuine Firehawk hood from a local guy. In a stroke of luck, it's already the right color but needs refinished.

I'd like to install it on my TA and realize that I need to modify my bumper cover. I'm looking for advice from people who have done it, or anyone else who has advice. Like what's the best tool to use to cut it, how to create a template, etc.

Also, from what I've read it seems that the airbox used on the Firehawk is the stock TA/Formula box and NOT the WS6 box. The WS6 box would be too tall, right? So I don't have to swap the box out. The Firehawks had special lids, but the box is the same?

Thanks!

Jim
    an original firehawk hood is hard to get to fit on a t/a bumper, firehawks came with a modifed bump.cover, good luck

if you had gotten a similer rapter hood you wouldnt have had to worry about it.

and the firehawks i've seen have the low rise box
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-19-2009 at 12:14 PM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

just use a dremel to cuz the bumper. . . I would just use the bottom of the nostril area to create your template using paper, thin cardboard, whatever. . prob have to do each nostril one at a time. Don't worry about the ws6 air box. . just put a lid on and be done with it.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    just use a dremel to cuz the bumper. . . I would just use the bottom of the nostril area to create your template using paper, thin cardboard, whatever. . prob have to do each nostril one at a time. Don't worry about the ws6 air box. . just put a lid on and be done with it.
    do the free ram air mod if you must

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

i went thru this when i put a hawk hood on my formy.we used a dremel for the cut,also the stock hood latch needed alittle fab work & the fit looked oem.youll need a lower air box,the ws6 ones won`t work

Black

Thanks all.

I have a 'base' TA so I have the lower airbox, so I'm good there.

I originally ordered the Raptor hood, but then stumbled across the Firehawk hood locally. It's already black, so I don't have to have the underside painted and the heat extractors were just too cool to pass up. I tried to cancel my Raptor order but haven't heard from them. There may be a brand new Raptor hood for sale in NJ soon.....

The guy also had the 'Hawk rims, which I snagged too. Can't wait to get it all installed, but I'm worried about cutting my bumper cover. But, if SLP can do it so can I.

Jim

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

maybe we should post pictures in a how-to thread, i'm curious as to what needs to be 'modified' to fit this hood. Although i'll probably retain my ws6 hood long into the future.

1998 Trans Am

Thanks all.

I have a 'base' TA so I have the lower airbox, so I'm good there.

I originally ordered the Raptor hood, but then stumbled across the Firehawk hood locally. It's already black, so I don't have to have the underside painted and the heat extractors were just too cool to pass up. I tried to cancel my Raptor order but haven't heard from them. There may be a brand new Raptor hood for sale in NJ soon.....

The guy also had the 'Hawk rims, which I snagged too. Can't wait to get it all installed, but I'm worried about cutting my bumper cover. But, if SLP can do it so can I.

Jim
    you mean the reverse ram-air scoops?

Black

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    you mean the reverse ram-air scoops?
    They're not on the back of the hood, though, like the Raptor. They're on the sides. There's openings under the hood on each side of the engine that are plumbed to the "heat extractors".

Jim

1998 Trans Am

They're not on the back of the hood, though, like the Raptor. They're on the sides. There's openings under the hood on each side of the engine that are plumbed to the "heat extractors".

Jim
    1:31

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esdKuLWiu48[/ame]
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-19-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Black

That's hilarious - I never saw that one before. I'll come up with some custom plumbing for those reverse ram air scoops. I could always use more power in reverse.

Jim

Black
    1999 Trans Am

dang it i watched the whole thing waiting for someone to deck the dude for touching their car. i know i woulda...u know he was worried was gonna c him...

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWS6 View Post
    dang it i watched the whole thing waiting for someone to deck the dude for touching their car. i know i woulda...u know he was worried was gonna c him...
    he has a 4.5 gen sprayed convertible, he was kidding, its a common misconception people have when they watch it

Black

So what worries me about the cut isn't the horizontal part following the edge of the hood, it's the vertical part between the nostrils. Is is 90 degrees? Or is it at an angle? It looks like it's pretty much 90 degrees but it's scary. Can anyone with a Hawk hood snap a pic looking straight down at the nostrils and from the side? I searched for pics on the 'Net and some come close but no cigar.

Thanks,
    Jim

Black
    1999 Trans Am

he has a 4.5 gen sprayed convertible, he was kidding, its a common misconception people have when they watch it
    convincing lol

Black
    2001 Pontiac

So what worries me about the cut isn't the horizontal part following the edge of the hood, it's the vertical part between the nostrils. Is is 90 degrees? Or is it at an angle? It looks like it's pretty much 90 degrees but it's scary. Can anyone with a Hawk hood snap a pic looking straight down at the nostrils and from the side? I searched for pics on the 'Net and some come close but no cigar.

Thanks,
    Jim
    There's three reference photos in this album.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/311355502JLZENU
    PM me an email address if you need something more detail & I'll take a couple photos & send'em to ya.

Install the hood & lower it to make some reference marks. (Yes, it will simply 'lay across the top of the area needing cut.') A good masking tape will hep make some reference cut lines. Get your dremel tool with a cut-off wheel & start grinding/cutting.

an original firehawk hood is hard to get to fit on a t/a bumper, firehawks came with a modifed bump.cover, good luck

if you had gotten a similer rapter hood you wouldnt have had to worry about it.
    They are not 'hard to get to fit to a T/A bumper'. Originally the WU6 optioned cars, (Firehawk option for the late 4th gen.), came to SLP with the OE GM bumper & all they did was trim them as noted.
    So what I meant was, it's not hard to fit at all. People do it all the time.
    Last edited by PontiacFan; 11-22-2009 at 12:32 PM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    PM me an email address if you need something more detail & I'll take a couple photos & send'em to ya.

Install the hood & lower it to make some reference marks. (Yes, it will simply 'lay across the top of the area needing cut.') A good masking tape will hep make some reference cut lines. Get your dremel tool with a cut-off wheel & start grinding/cutting.
    good photos. . the picture of the ram air ho gives a good contrasting view to the firehawk

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post

Maybe you should stop making comments about stuff that you don't really know the details about.
    not sure what your talking about? for the firehawk hood to fit the bumper needs to be cut,

whereas the rapter hood does not,

random internet search:

"i think the major difference is the center section where it meets the front bumber in between the headlights. For a firehawk hood, you have to modify the front bumper, but with the raptor you don't as it's designed to work with a stock bumper.

Raptor:

Firehawk:

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

i did what pontiacfan said.install the hood,lower it down & mark off the section that needs trimmed.its either cut it or buy a new fascia

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Douche Bag Perez Hilton knows about cars????

This guy must have been ass raped by an F-body many times....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information