Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Installing a Firehawk hood on my TA

This is a discussion on Installing a Firehawk hood on my TA within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by PontiacFan There's three reference photos in this album. http://rides.webshots.com/album/311355502JLZENU PM me an email address if you need ...

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    There's three reference photos in this album.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/311355502JLZENU
    PM me an email address if you need something more detail & I'll take a couple photos & send'em to ya.

Install the hood & lower it to make some reference marks. (Yes, it will simply 'lay across the top of the area needing cut.') A good masking tape will hep make some reference cut lines. Get your dremel tool with a cut-off wheel & start grinding/cutting.
    Thanks. I'll do that. I'm bringing the hood to be refinished next week, so I probably won't be cutting for another couple of weeks.

Jim

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Douche Bag Perez Hilton knows about cars????

This guy must have been ass raped by an F-body many times....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Thanks. I'll do that. I'm bringing the hood to be refinished next week, so I probably won't be cutting for another couple of weeks.

Jim
    Post pics....

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Douche Bag Perez Hilton knows about cars????

This guy must have been ass raped by an F-body many times....
    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    he has a 4.5 gen sprayed convertible, he was kidding, its a common misconception people have when they watch it
    thats what i thought also

Black

Post pics....
    I definitely will!

Black

Here are pics as it is now. I needs a little work on one of the corners but is otherwise ok:

Jim

Black

Well, the hood is done.

The guy did an amazing job. The corner on the right side of the pic needed reconstructed, as did both back corners (the back corner damage was the result of my own faulty method of transport). I talked him into cutting the fascia for me and buffing out the fenders and nose to more closely match the new paint on the hood. I'm bringing the car to him tomorrow.

I'll post pics when its all done. I've got the Hawk rims on it. Just need to remove the TA badges and put the Firehawk ones on.

Jim
    Last edited by turbojimmy; 12-28-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Very nice

sweet looking hood

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    1:31

I TKE IT HE LIKES IMPORTS OR MUSTANGS, AND HAS BEEN ASS RAPED ONE TO MANY TIMES BY FBODS AND VETTES

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    sweet looking hood
    Thanks! I've only had the car for 8 months, and I love it, but always wished the hood was a little more aggressive looking. Then it kind of snowballed into making a fake something. I was leaning toward the WS.6, but I figured if I was going to make a fake, I may as well do a Firehawk. I like the wheels better and the more subtle nostrils on the Hawk hood.

Jim

Black

I have a question for those who have done this:

The body guy called tonight and said that when he trims the fascia, that I will lose all the support of the tabs that are attached with pushpins to the upper rad support? He says it looks like it will sag? I don't have the car here so I don't know what he's talking about.

Anyone have any pics of that area after it's modified?

Thanks,

Jim

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I don't have any pics on hand but I do have a hawk. The hawk uses a modified bumper fascia specific to the model. considering the bottom of the hawk hood lines up with the bumper its reasonable to assume that the standard TA fascia has its attachment points higher than the hawk does, in other words too high for the hawk hood. It would be a neat trick getting someone to fab lower attachment points to an existing bumper though I'm sure anything is possible. If he has to cut them off the problem I can see is, aside from possibly sagging.... without something holding the fascia secure you could end up with it flapping in the breeze on the highway possibly contacting the hood and just generally not looking right while at speed. I'd say figure out how to secure it and don't let it sag.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I don't have any pics on hand but I do have a hawk. The hawk uses a modified bumper fascia specific to the model. considering the bottom of the hawk hood lines up with the bumper its reasonable to assume that the standard TA fascia has its attachment points higher than the hawk does, in other words too high for the hawk hood. It would be a neat trick getting someone to fab lower attachment points to an existing bumper though I'm sure anything is possible. If he has to cut them off the problem I can see is, aside from possibly sagging.... without something holding the fascia secure you could end up with it flapping in the breeze on the highway possibly contacting the hood and just generally not looking right while at speed. I'd say figure out how to secure it and don't let it sag.
    The general consensus here is that the fascia is not specific to the model - that SLP modified the factory fascia. So I'm now wondering which is accurate? If I need to fab something I can, I just wasn't expecting to have to.

Thanks,
    Jim

Black

False alarm. He got it trimmed - the mounting tabs stay in place.

Jim

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

good to know. I wasn't sure what SLP did to the fascias but I know that the stock ones don't line up. If anything were to ever happen to my front end I'd for damn sure insist that it come out looking exactly as it did. Too many hawks have crashed and turned into WS6's well... WS9's though don't hawks start as WS6's?

This thread needs tons of pics of fit and finish once your car is ready. The SLP hood is pure sex

Black

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    good to know. I wasn't sure what SLP did to the fascias but I know that the stock ones don't line up. If anything were to ever happen to my front end I'd for damn sure insist that it come out looking exactly as it did. Too many hawks have crashed and turned into WS6's well... WS9's though don't hawks start as WS6's?

This thread needs tons of pics of fit and finish once your car is ready. The SLP hood is pure sex
    I'll put up pics.

Ran into a snag, though. When transporting the SLP hood over, it slid to the back of my truck and busted off both corners (on the back of the hood, by the windshield). Not having my stock hood for reference, the body guy reconstructed the corners based on how he thought it should look. He did really well, but was off a few mm at the edge. If you look at the Firebird fenders, they curve in along that back edge of the hood and the hood does the same. When he opened the repaired hood, it cracked one of my fenders.

So now he has to grind down the corners of the hood to meet the fender lines, repair the fender, and respray the hood and paint the fender. Gonna be a little while :-(

He's a good guy, I'm not pissed at him, especially since I suspect the car may have been hit in the front before anyway (I'm the 2nd owner).

Here's a pic. It's hard to see what you're looking at, but he's drawn the revised corner and circled the crack. If you stare at it long enough it becomes clear :-)

Jim
    Last edited by turbojimmy; 12-30-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Added Pic

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Son of a, ...
    Damn-it!

He should have had some kind of template, or a better plan of some type in the beginning, ..., Oh well, another bump in the road.

Would you intersted in some stainless steel Firehawk emblems?!?
    If so, send me a PM.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    Son of a, ...
    Damn-it!

He should have had some kind of template, or a better plan of some type in the beginning, ..., Oh well, another bump in the road.

Would you intersted in some stainless steel Firehawk emblems?!?
    If so, send me a PM.
    I know, I left him with the broken corners. I thought he'd use those as a template. Oh well, sh*t happens. He'll make it right. It's just metal, plastic and glass. The good news is that now the fenders will be blended into the hood.

Firehawk emblems for the car? Like brushed stainless? I might be interested. I already got vinyl replicas though. They appear to be very close to the 'real' ones.

Jim

Black

The car is finally done! I'm picking it up in a couple of hours. Here are pics the body guy sent:

Jim

Black

Couple more pics. And yes, the emblem is crooked. The guy did a great job otherwise, and inexpensively, so I can't complain. I'll straighten it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information