Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

I'm stuck in between

Over the past couple of months i have been debating in my head whether i should get a Volant CAI or just a plain lid. I have a 99 ws6 and im a college kid with some money issues but if chose the Volant i could squeeze it out. what do you guys think? is there anyway i could get the lid and add something else to it to act like a CAI? please help me!

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    Over the past couple of months i have been debating in my head whether i should get a Volant CAI or just a plain lid. I have a 99 ws6 and im a college kid with some money issues but if chose the Volant i could squeeze it out. what do you guys think? is there anyway i could get the lid and add something else to it to act like a CAI? please help me!
    get rid of the lid and everything, get an open k&n filter and cut the restriction shit out behind the ram air vents..

works awesome on my car!!!!
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

White
    1998 Trans Am

Volant

I have the Volant and I picked up a aftermarket WS6 cheap($250) so I wouldn't feel bad cutting it up, like I would have paying 500 or more like most of the hoods cost and it works great and seals good against the hood to keep the air going where it belongs.
    Volant when new(over a year ago)

Dyed the filters red

After opening up the hood(rough cut). I have smoothed it out since the pic.

Wear long sleaves and a dust mask.Was alot of fiberglass dust.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

+1 for Volant CAI. i like it alot, works great

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i would go with the volant . . . but an option is a lid with a ftra or ssra in addition. haven't heard much comparison in the gains of between these two setups. if there is any difference its probably minimal.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

I would go with K&N FIPK kit. It adds 15rwhp but will cost you around $300 from Summit Racing anywhere else it could cost up t0 $500 which just isnt worth it. I hear the Volant CAI doesnt fit well.

The Generation II FIPKĀ® is K&N's ultimate performance product, designed to increase power by as much as 10%. Most FIPK's are street legal in all 50 US states and come with a Million Mile Limited Warranty. K&N intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction as they smooth and straighten air flow. This allows your vehicle's engine to inhale a larger amount of air than the OEM air filter assembly. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range. The filters on these kits are washable and reusable.

Cold Air Induction Ram Air: 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro 5.7L; 1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird 5.7L; FIPK Generation 2; kit includes piping, heat shield, and filter.

Estimated Horsepower Gain: 14.74 HP @ 5300 RPM
    Last edited by Numba1TA; 02-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

do you hear the "whoosh" sound with just a lid?

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

I have and like just a lid (slp here). simple clean not ruining anything by cutting things
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    I have and like just a lid (slp here). simple clean not ruining anything by cutting things
    and do you feel any gains?

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

not really jump in and feel the difference like wow people that say they do I dont really believe them but as far as throtel response I think that did up a bit. Kinda like when all the things add up then there is a difference or if you do a couple at once. I would just do the lid

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

My wife got me the SLP lid last monday, It was a bitch to put it on with out cracking it. To me, I can feel the difference. The throtle response got a lot better. But I already had some minor mods, like taking the rear ram air baffle out, K&N filter, throtle body coolant bypass, flowmaster mufler, and the free mods we can do to our cars. Best of all was the sweet woosh the lid does when I accelerate. Money wise it was worth the $89 I paid for it new.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

what if i got a K&N filter and a lid? would be a difference?

what if i got a K&N filter and a lid? would be a difference?
    better than stock but not better than volant. . . a significant difference tho? thats debatable

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

they say the lid gives you 10 rwhp. is that true? and is the volant really worth the 200 more dollars?

they say the lid gives you 10 rwhp. is that true? and is the volant really worth the 200 more dollars?
    honestly prob not . . but imo it is the best overall lid/cold air/ram air mod.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I think Volants are big, bulky, and take away from the beauty that is our engine bay...I think a lid makes for a much "cleaner" engine bay. I also have the FTP 85mm (really 100mm) Lid, so there is almost no restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I think Volants are big, bulky, and take away from the beauty that is our engine bay...I think a lid makes for a much "cleaner" engine bay. I also have the FTP 85mm (really 100mm) Lid, so there is almost no restriction.
    i can understand this. . and the ftp lid is nice. have you had any issues with it hitting your hood?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    i can understand this. . and the ftp lid is nice. have you had any issues with it hitting your hood?
    No, I have not...the current problem is keeping the silicone tube on the lid AND the TB. I deleted my MAF, so I had to buy a 6" long tube. The lid outlet faces at a downward angle and the TB is straight forward, so the angle difference is a strain on the brand new tube. I'm hoping the tube will stretch and form properly while the car is parked for the winter

White
    1998 Trans Am

No, I have not...the current problem is keeping the silicone tube on the lid AND the TB. I deleted my MAF, so I had to buy a 6" long tube. The lid outlet faces at a downward angle and the TB is straight forward, so the angle difference is a strain on the brand new tube. I'm hoping the tube will stretch and form properly while the car is parked for the winter
    What is the tube made of. if it's plastic like a PVC pipe material. Just heat it evenly with a heat gun and shape it to the angle and then cool it with water. I usually put a few ice cubes in a spray bottle when I cool mine pipes down.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I actally went with the Volant sice I find the lid boring looking. i do like the clear lids though. The Volants actally fit up good aside from the pain of getting the MAF and Volant toghter. Seals against the hood nice and after I did some cutting you could feel the biggest gain on the highway when you jump on it.

Thread Information