Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm so impatient

This is a discussion on I'm so impatient within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Any gear-heads live in the Dallas DFW area, i'd like to meet up with a gearhead over there when i ...

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Any gear-heads live in the Dallas DFW area, i'd like to meet up with a gearhead over there when i get back for some help on mechanics of buying a ws6 or T/A pending on price range...i know meeting people online is kinda weird, but i'm pretty trusting, and when it comes to making an investment like this, i'd like to get all the extra input possible.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

One word of caution: if you test drive a Trans Am, be prepared for instant addiction. When I test drove mine, I bought it on the spot. I've NEVER done that when looking at a car, but I did it with this one!
    I looked and researched for months and months and looked at 4 until I found mine (the 4th one). I drove 110 miles ech way just to look at it, put a down pmt on it that day, and picked it up 3 weeks later (long story lol). These things are addicting, but just beware of pricing markups on a "ws6" car that is not really a Ws6!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by terrytheexpert View Post
    Any gear-heads live in the Dallas DFW area, i'd like to meet up with a gearhead over there when i get back for some help on mechanics of buying a ws6 or T/A pending on price range...i know meeting people online is kinda weird, but i'm pretty trusting, and when it comes to making an investment like this, i'd like to get all the extra input possible.
    Haha, I met a guy on here from the Philly area and we hang out all the time now lol. It's funny cause we went back to hang out with some cousins and freinds and they all asked, "how do you know each other?" I reply with, "we met online." (add in fag voice and limp wrist)

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I looked and researched for months and months and looked at 4 until I found mine (the 4th one). I drove 110 miles ech way just to look at it, put a down pmt on it that day, and picked it up 3 weeks later (long story lol). These things are addicting, but just beware of pricing markups on a "ws6" car that is not really a Ws6!
    Definitely make sure it's legit!! There is a stickied thread about it in the forum here.

They are addicting. I knew I wanted a Trans Am when I was messing around and got some guy in a black T/A one night with exhaust and stuff to go. He floored it and it shot off with a roar and it was love at first sight. I only had 2 days to look around for mine though (but I had been using Autotrader for a few weeks before that to track down their locations) since I had my dad come down 800 miles to drive me around to find a car (and didn't have but those two days). I found EXACTLY the colour I wanted, exactly the year and transmission, and the car was(and is) GORGEOUS and perfect in every way (except for that damn passegner window, but that is all of these things). I had test drove others before the one I got - the first being a white one, m6, 2000 model - and they felt weak compared to the one I ended up with. I guess I either got a factory freak (though it has exhaust) or the others were ragged out (which is something to be careful about too!). After I test drove my '02 pewter ws6, I knew it was the car to get, even if it was more expensive than some of the others - the quality was there, and it was a reputable dealership that buys nothing but sporty or rare cars that was well known and reccomended where I got it. Mine cost me $19,000 with 57-58k miles, but it was emmaculate and exactly what I wanted so it was worth every penny.

Considering there are older cars that get like 8-10 mph (or worse) that are still going up in value, I don't think gas prices rising is going to be a big factor in long term value of these cars. Temporarily, yes, but not long term. They actually aren't that bad on fuel economy. I get about 24-27 mpg on my 40 minute commute to school and back with several hills and a little stop and go in town (and crappy drivers driving 35-40 mph down the road in between with some WOT passes around them, lol), so mixed driving. Not bad, imo. I have a daily driver too I use almost soley for the purpose of it's a blast to drive too (a not so stock 1986 Thunderbird Turbocoupe, m5) and to keep miles off my WS6 and drive in the crappy weather... but it only gets like 24 mpg with the way it is..

I say go try one out! But don't get the first one you try, try several so you make sure to get one that runs really good - you'll know the difference under acceleration. These are wonderful cars and don't feel cheap at all.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Yeah I know what you mean about cars selling off of ebay. thats how i got my current car. although i bought it for less than it was on ebay for. cash in hand is a wonderful thing. That brings me to my other thing. At 15k+ I would not be even LOOKING for one till next year as i refuse to finance. I insist on paying cash and owning the vehicle outright on the spot. I actually have never driven any camaro or firebird of any year ever in my life. although i have gone for rides in two firebirds that i can remember. a 2nd gen and 3rd gen. I'm quite nervous about getting an abused vehicle since I do plan on making this my new daily driver. I spoke to a woman asking 9k for a 99 firehawk m6 only to find out it has 140k on the odo..... yikes!!!! explains the price though I also saw a black ws6 for 11,500 obo with 60k on the odo. don't know if it had any mods other than rims and 1.5 inch lowering though. Now even though I am not so fond of the lowering or the color black anymore.... at 11.5 obo with only 60k on it i would be very tempted to go after the best offer. of course the car happens to be halfway across the country from me so i could never see it in person.... if its not one thing its another...... sigh

also my father never got his 2k for his lincoln.... its now up with a buy it now at 1,500..... still no takers. i am seriously considering taking it off his hands since it was my first car..... always have a soft spot for your first!!! It really is a special 92 LSC though. i am going to be so sad to see it go..... just like i was sad when the 65 impala SS conv went. sigh... again. lol
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 05-02-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Still Too Young To Care

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I know what you mean I just bought my third F-body and I have paid cash for everyone. As far as finding a car it sounds like you have time so you will come across the right deal. I try to not settle for something when looking at cars...I wait til I find exactly what I want. My dad always used to say, just remember there is always a better deal out there. You having plenty of time you should be able to find the right car for you. Be patient

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Nice low mileage TA's and Formula's are getting harder and harder to come by. It took me almost a year to find a nice one and when I did, the dealer would not budge on the price. I even went as far as leaving the lot with a "no deal" attitude in hopes that they would me back in a couple of days. They didn't, and so I went back and manage to haggle them down 2k. I still ended paying 17k for a 02 TA with 30K miles on the clock. Granted, the car was nearly perfect and had all the options I wanted but... the color is what I absolutely had to have. The hard part beleive it or not... was trying to find a T-top non WS6 A4 that was either NBM or SOM in good shape. It was harder than I originally thought. I swear...it seems that there are way more WS6's out there than Regular TA's and Formulas.

Anyway, I don't think the current gas prices will have much basis on the going prices. People don't usually buy these cars for the gas mileage. Most people buy them for the excitment and driving experience. Alot more of these cars are becoming secondary/recreation type vehicles, that only get driven on weekends. Mine only comes out for fun and if the weather event looks questionable, it stays in the garage. Some people still DD them, but you are starting to see fewer of them on the road. I bought mine with pure fun factor in mind, not to drive it everyday to work.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I have owned 3 T/A's. 2000 TA M6, 1999 WS-6 M6, and my current 1998 WS-6 A-4. (A couple LT-1 Camaros as well.) Every single one has lasted over 150K (aside from my current car which is sitting at just over 100K) and I have never had to replace anything seriously expensive aside from synchros-shift forks on the manuals. I have never busted a rear end (knock on wood.) I do drive my cars like they were meant to be driven occasionally. As long as you take care of them, GM has engineered a quality product with the F-Body. I have been extremely happy with every single one of my cars. You just have to maintain them and they will last you for a long while. You do have to be willing to travel to find a good car for a good price though.

medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

One word of caution: if you test drive a Trans Am, be prepared for instant addiction. When I test drove mine, I bought it on the spot. I've NEVER done that when looking at a car, but I did it with this one!
    i did the same thing. i went to the dealership, saw my trans am, test drove it, haggled the guy down to 6750, and went home to get the money while they washed it for me. he wanted 7900 and i said 6500 and we settled at 6750. mine is a medium blue metallic non WS6 auto with 130xxx tho. but this is the cheapest i have found one in jesey.

good luck man

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

that's my other problem. It seems like these cars are so much more expensive in the NY NJ area. Yet I haven't seen any TA's.... nice ones... on the road in a long time. perhaps there is a limited supply around these parts. on a nice note, a friend of mine is a dealer and told me that he would keep an eye out for any nice ws6's he may happen upon. getting one at wholesale would be nice indeed! In fact he went so far as to say I could come with him to the auction sometime and check them out myself. Of course that would mean i'd be his driver for anything he bought but it also gives me the opportunity to look at some cars and maybe test drive. who knows maybe i end up with a great deal that makes me super happy.

Still Too Young To Care

Black
    1999 Trans Am

If you can go with him to an auction you should go...just make sure there are gonna at least be some T/A's there.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by griftymcgrift View Post
    i did the same thing. i went to the dealership, saw my trans am, test drove it, haggled the guy down to 6750, and went home to get the money while they washed it for me. he wanted 7900 and i said 6500 and we settled at 6750. mine is a medium blue metallic non WS6 auto with 130xxx tho. but this is the cheapest i have found one in jesey.

good luck man
    geez u bought it with 130xxx? i thought the life of the car was only about 130xxx or so..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Just a little update on my search for a bird. I saw a TA at a dealer. under 100k on the clock for a 99. Its midnight blue metallic sadly its an auto and NON WS6. but the price can't be beat.... 6,995 asking. if a dealer is asking that you can be sure it can be had for around 6. gives me hope for a dealer auction. Might be able to pick up something nice for around 10

Red
    2001 ws6

u ONLY want a bird? i metioned earlier in the thread theres a nice z28 with only 13k miles m6 for only 11k

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Just hold out til you find one that screams to you. I held off for a few years casually looking and got mine 2 years ago for 10,500 with 69K on the clock. My min requirement was a T/A 6sp. and I stuck to that until I found my baby. Good Luck!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Yeah I held out back when I was looking for my Mark VIII. At the time they were selling in the 12-14 range but one day i saw one pop up on ebay not far from me and before anyone bid i went to go look at it. liked what i saw and offered a little less than the starting bid cash. he took it off ebay that night and 24 hours after seeing it i drove off in my LSC for a price of only 6,500. It has been endlessly reliable and more than worth every penny.... heck if i had totaled it with the accident i would have gotten nearly every penny of my purchase price back 5 years after buying it!!!!! So i DO know deals are out there. but as the thread implies I tend to be impatient. The LSC search only took about 3 months. mind you it HAD to be a 97-98 Black LSC with a sunroof tan interior CD changer 10 spoke chrome rims and heated seats....... the only option i missed out on was the heated seats. Can't blame me for the price. BTW the second gen LSC was a rare item as well.

97-8 saw TOTAL mark VIII production at around 26,000 with roughly half being LSC's and almost half of those being black meaning to start I had a pool of 6,250 or less cars. now give them the tan interior and its about 3,000ish sunroof and we are under 2000. we still havent factored in the rims maybe 1,200 and the cd changer/heated seats prob less than 600 cars. So I have walked the rare car path before. although it seems that there were more birds produced from 00-02.

Finally..... yes it must be a bird. I can't see myself in a camaro. my father used to wear a jacket that had the heartbeat of america line on it and a 4th gen camaro. kind of liked the 99+ lights but something just seems cheaper about it when compared to the bird. nothing against them, my neighbors bf has an awesome 02 SOM Z/28 he bought brand new and I love it in that color. just not for me i don't think.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I know what you mean i like the ws6 more than any of them but like the looks of a SS over any of the firebird/trans am/formula non ws6 models. The hood on the WS6 and SS just set them apart from the others and i also like the super sports wheels and spoiler.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by terrytheexpert View Post
    geez u bought it with 130xxx? i thought the life of the car was only about 130xxx or so..
    All of mine have lasted well over 150xxx. It's all in how you take care of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information