Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

IM BACK! and yes with more Qs

Hey Guys!,
    Finally Back on. Out here in afghanland its a little hard to get on the site. But Ifinally got it working. So here are my Qs.

If I decide to roll over to a 402/408, will my current Headers work on them? (currently running ls1 BBK LTs).
    -If it comes down to head selection what style heads will work?

What "tweaks" will I need to perform on a T/A in order to run a 402/408? (i.e. differnt computer, wiring harness, fit and so on)

Heard talk of early model LQ4/LQ9 only being able to fit 4L80E due to the crankshaft, is this true and if so what years are affected?
    -Also, if above is true can it be allieviatted with aftermarket crank?

Well thats all I have for now, As for me im doing good. Hoping to make it home for my kid's birth in the late spring. Other than that just watching my step and dreaming up new ideas for the T/A.

Catch you all on the flip side.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Your exisiting headers should work just fine. LS heads come in two intake port styles - cathedral port and rectangular port. All the early engines, including our cars, came with cathredal port heads. You will absolutely need a tune to run that engine in your car. The crank reluctor may be an issue depending upon what you get - our cars have a 24x reluctor and the newer stuff runs a 58x. I'm sure some others will post more info -- but do the research and ask lots of questions to whatever supplier you choose.

Stay safe!

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Sorry, I can't help you with you engine question. I just wanted to wish you a safe return home for your kid's birth.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Sorry, I can't help you with you engine question. I just wanted to wish you a safe return home for your kid's birth.

Same here

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

PaJeff, as always thanks for the inf, you woudnt happen to know what heads are which when it comes to the intake port design would you? Oh and off topic but yesterday i wass skimming through some pics of T/As with weldstars and saw a pic your T/A next to a friend's of yours. Def looking good man. And to all thank you for the safe wishes. Anyone else with an answer to the Qs feel free to chime in.

Catch you boys on the flip side.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No problem and thanks for the compliment! You will need a cathredal port head to go with your current intake. I am semi-looking at a set of Trick Flows for our car. Others I have heard of are the Patriots and the stock 5.3 heads that have been re-worked for better flow. Shop around and you'll see several to choose from.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

well here's the thing, end state will hopefully be a maggie 122 feeding it. Trying to figure out if its possible on an 408 stroker right now. but if all i need to do to make my intake work with it is run cathedral port heads, then the same should run for the maggie.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Cowl clearance will be the issue with a maggie. I would tend to go the route 35th did with his ProCharger install if you want f.i. That is one slick setup and he has gobs of power under his foot.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Ya I lokekd into centerfugial style superchargers but im partial to the roots/twinscrew positive dispacement SCs. Don't know if you saw the GMHTP article on wastegating a Procharger and running a smaller pulley to build boost quicker then bleed it off but that almost changed my mind right there. cant remember the exact numbers but it def out performed the non wastegated car they tested along side it.

Alright so i think my Qs are answered, here's what i got let me know if I'm off any;

I can reuse my headers and as long as I run a cathedral port head a maggie 122 should fit. ( Ill double check with magnuson but does sound right )
    as fars as harness goes im good just obv need a tune after install

as far as the crank ensure proper reluctor is installed for setup.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds right. Only the intake ports are cathedral shaped -- the exhaust ports are essentially round and your headers should work on whatever you buy. You may also need to upgrade fuel injectors and your pump, depending on what they recommend.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

ya as far as the supporting mods to do that motor they will all be completed before that motor build goes in if it is what i decide to do for a setup in it. Pretty sure your tuned in to my "pulling the trigger part 2" thread. cant remember though. Any way that is the next major mod to go onto the car. Basically rearend and rear suspension. After that will be a PB th400 full manual w/ trans brake, then onto the front end and motor. Gonna take me a while to piece it all together now that i got a baby on the way. So for now im just gonna knock out the body work at the base hobby shop while i save up for part 2.

Thread Information