Results 1 to 16 of 16

I want to put on wider tires and cant!!

This is a discussion on I want to put on wider tires and cant!! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So i have 285/40/17 all around and i have the old school ZR1 chrome rims on it. I asked my ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    99

    Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

    I want to put on wider tires and cant!!

    So i have 285/40/17 all around and i have the old school ZR1 chrome rims on it. I asked my brother (who put those rims on) why he didnt put on those rims but in 315s in the back. He said in order to put on that wide of a tire you need to take out a stopper and modify the wheel wells. Well sometimes when i take a turn hard (even with the 285s) and the tires spin i can hear rubbing or something back there. So this past week i lifted my car and took my back tires off to see whats going on, I saw that the tire sometimes does rub because there is a very small shiny part at the front of the back wheel well where it rubs. So can i put on 315s or no because of this???

  2. #2
    Member bouigha123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    194

    NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

    Is it rubbing on both sides? If not a adjustable panhard bar will center you rear end and allow you to run the bigger tires without rubbing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    Is it rubbing on both sides? If not a adjustable panhard bar will center you rear end and allow you to run the bigger tires without rubbing.
    This will help but the offset of the wheel is a bigger factor. On a 17x9 wheel you shouldn't really be running anything wider than a 275 anyway. 285 is about as wide as I would push it. Buy a new set from OEWheels. You can get them in 17x9 for the front and 17x11 in the rear with the correct offset to avoid rubbing.

  4. #4
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    I am pretty new to this new car tech, I am an ol' school muscle car guy. Big tires to me were G70-15 bias ply tires on steel wheels. That being said, my 02 Camaro SS has 275/40-17 Z rated tires. I would never see the benefit to wider tires unless the suspension was completely upgraded and it were on a track. Maybe I'm just old but my car has all most people want in a performance car and bigger, wider wheels and tires just don't make sense to me. JMO
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 10-30-2011 at 05:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I am pretty new to this new car tech, I am an ol' school muscle car guy. Big tires to me were G70-15 bias ply tires on steel wheels. That being said, my 02 Camaro SS has 275/40-17 Z rated tires. I would never see the benefit to wider tires unless the suspension was completely upgraded and it were on a track. Maybe I'm just old but my car has all most people want in a performance car and bigger, wider wheels and tires just don't make sense to me. JMO
    I can say the reason that I have big wheels in tires is not for performance but is for aesthetics.

  6. #6
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I ran 285's on my stock 17x9 wheels without any issues at all. In my opinion it's the perfect size for this rim width. It gives you a little sidewall bulge for rim protection, and just looks better as well. I never really liked the look of 275's on the 17x9. In my opinion that's about as small as I would go
    Looks like you are trying to suck the tires out to the wheels, I never really liked the appearance of that.

  7. #7
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    Do the 285's rub in the front from lock to lock ?

  8. #8
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Nope, never had that issue. But my stuff has always been at stock ride height too. Not sure what would happen if it were lowered, as that seems to be the case with so many.
    I can pile 4 people in the car without issues though, does that count as lowered

  9. #9
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    I can say the reason that I have big wheels in tires is not for performance but is for aesthetics.
    I had them for performance.
    The most contact patch I could get was needed....

    And it looked good.

  10. #10
    Senior Member 98maro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north bay california
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,973

    Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

    just hit the inner fender,,,thats the only thing that works,, i got a adj panhard bar, doesn't do shit,,,

  11. #11
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I had them for performance.
    The most contact patch I could get was needed....

    And it looked good.
    I wish I had them for performance but for now the 315s are just for looks. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to say I need them in order to hook up as well.

  12. #12
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    just hit the inner fender,,,thats the only thing that works,, i got a adj panhard bar, doesn't do shit,,,
    The adj. pan hard bar definitely helped me. I was rubbing only on the driver side when I was running my 18x10.5 DD C6 Z06 wheels with 295s lowered (eibach prokit). I installed the adj. panhard bar and now am running 18x11 wheels with 315s lowered on stranos with no mods and have no issues. The adj. panhard bar really brought the rear back towards the left side of the car.

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    The adj. pan hard bar definitely helped me. I was rubbing only on the driver side when I was running my 18x10.5 DD C6 Z06 wheels with 295s lowered (eibach prokit). I installed the adj. panhard bar and now am running 18x11 wheels with 315s lowered on stranos with no mods and have no issues. The adj. panhard bar really brought the rear back towards the left side of the car.
    When you start raising or lowering the car, you definately need that adjustable panhard because the rear will shift. Goofy setup.

  14. #14
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    When you start raising or lowering the car, you definately need that adjustable panhard because the rear will shift. Goofy setup.
    what's a goofy set up? how the rear shifts?

  15. #15
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    what's a goofy set up? how the rear shifts?
    I meant the rear suspension in general. Torque arms, panhard bars etc...somewhat expensive to make changes on.

  16. #16
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I meant the rear suspension in general. Torque arms, panhard bars etc...somewhat expensive to make changes on.
    No doubt in that. Change one thing and you really should change it all. Can really add up if you do it right and use companies like UMI or BMR.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stock wheels with wider tires?
    By Kamauxx in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 06:50 PM
  2. Wider OR stickier tires???
    By HowdyZ_28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
  3. wider tires...
    By secondgearscratch in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 03:28 PM
  4. Wider Tires
    By Team GM in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 06:42 PM
  5. Drivetrain problems with wider tires?
    By Batass in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 07:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •