Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 Trans Am

I wanna get on the Track..But need some help...

I have a 1998 WS6 Vert. A4

There are not many places around me to race, but there is an 1/8 strip about 15 mins away. I am not going to go to crazy with it, because I am currently a college student who's just glad to have a TA. I cant do many mods at this time. My TA is all stock. I am not sure what kind of 1/8 mile time i should run or the rules I would have to change to be "legal."

I am wondering what all I would have to do to be "legal" at this track. I would love to have a little competition and put this beast to the test.

Here are some rules I'm unsure about....

Auto Trans Reverse Lockout:
    Any non-OME automatic floor-mounted transmission shifter must be equipped with a spring-loaded positive reverse lockout device to prevent the shifter from accidentally being put in reverse gear.

Roll Bars:
    Unless otherwise required by your class: Roll Bars required on convertibles running quicker than 7.00 - 8.59. Roll Bars required on all cars (including
    T-tops) running quicker than 7.00 - 7.49.

Roll Cages:
    Roll Cages required on convertibles running 6.99 or faster than 135mph. Roll Cages required on all cars running 6.99 or faster than 135mph. - One exception: full-bodied cars running between 6.40 and 6.99, with unaltered firewalls, floor and body (from firewall rearward - wheel tubes permitted) can compete with just a roll bar. Faster than a 6.39 you need a chassis sticker and have the car reinspected every 3 years.

Liquid Overflow:
    All cars must have a recovery system or catch can (minimum of 16 oz.) for the car's radiator.

Drive-shaft loop:
    If you have slicks, you must have a drive-shaft loop. If your car runs 8.13 or quicker, you will need a drive
    shaft loop, even if you are running street tires.

Seat Belts:
    All cars must be equipped with an accepted quick release type driver seat belt. All cars in competition
    requiring a roll bar or roll cage, or as outlined by Class Requirements, require a Driver Restraint System as
    outlined below.

Driver Restraint Systems:
    A quick-release, 3-inch shoulder harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, is mandatory in all
    cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. Driver restraint system must be
    clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer. System must be updated at two-year
    intervals from date of manufacture. All seat belt and shoulder harness installations must be mutually
    compatible, originally designed to be used with each other, and produced by the same manufacturer. Cars
    using OEM or OEM type seat may route crotch strap in front of seat instead of through seat. Only those units
    that release all five attachment points in one motion are permitted. When arm restraints are worn with a
    restraint system that utilizes a "latch lever", a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint
    from accidentally releasing the latch lever. Protective cover not needed if system uses "duckbill" latch
    hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and
    installed to limit driver's body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower
    frame rails. Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing permitted for mounting. Check
    manufacturers instructions.

I would really appreciate any help I can get...
    Thanks!
    Last edited by NicksTA; 02-18-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added some Info

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had a friend who raced a stock convertible.
    It ran high 13's, but I remember him adding weight, driving with the headlights up, to cause air drag to slow the car down. He was very consistent, and won a lot of races with it. He didn't want a roll cage, so he kept it slow ! I figure you will be in the 8.3 - 8.6 range...

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by NicksTA View Post
    I have a 1998 WS6 Vert. A4

There are not many places around me to race, but there is an 1/8 strip about 15 mins away. I am not going to go to crazy with it, because I am currently a college student who's just glad to have a TA. I cant do many mods at this time. My TA is all stock. I am not sure what kind of 1/8 mile time i should run or the rules I would have to change to be "legal."

I am wondering what all I would have to do to be "legal" at this track. I would love to have a little competition and put this beast to the test.

Here are some rules I'm unsure about....

Auto Trans Reverse Lockout:
    Any non-OME automatic floor-mounted transmission shifter must be equipped with a spring-loaded positive reverse lockout device to prevent the shifter from accidentally being put in reverse gear.

Roll Bars:
    Unless otherwise required by your class: Roll Bars required on convertibles running quicker than 7.00 - 8.59. Roll Bars required on all cars (including
    T-tops) running quicker than 7.00 - 7.49.

Roll Cages:
    Roll Cages required on convertibles running 6.99 or faster than 135mph. Roll Cages required on all cars running 6.99 or faster than 135mph. - One exception: full-bodied cars running between 6.40 and 6.99, with unaltered firewalls, floor and body (from firewall rearward - wheel tubes permitted) can compete with just a roll bar. Faster than a 6.39 you need a chassis sticker and have the car reinspected every 3 years.

Liquid Overflow:
    All cars must have a recovery system or catch can (minimum of 16 oz.) for the car's radiator.

Drive-shaft loop:
    If you have slicks, you must have a drive-shaft loop. If your car runs 8.13 or quicker, you will need a drive
    shaft loop, even if you are running street tires.

Seat Belts:
    All cars must be equipped with an accepted quick release type driver seat belt. All cars in competition
    requiring a roll bar or roll cage, or as outlined by Class Requirements, require a Driver Restraint System as
    outlined below.

Driver Restraint Systems:
    A quick-release, 3-inch shoulder harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, is mandatory in all
    cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. Driver restraint system must be
    clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer. System must be updated at two-year
    intervals from date of manufacture. All seat belt and shoulder harness installations must be mutually
    compatible, originally designed to be used with each other, and produced by the same manufacturer. Cars
    using OEM or OEM type seat may route crotch strap in front of seat instead of through seat. Only those units
    that release all five attachment points in one motion are permitted. When arm restraints are worn with a
    restraint system that utilizes a "latch lever", a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint
    from accidentally releasing the latch lever. Protective cover not needed if system uses "duckbill" latch
    hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and
    installed to limit driver's body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower
    frame rails. Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing permitted for mounting. Check
    manufacturers instructions.

I would really appreciate any help I can get...
    Thanks!
    well that sucks. i would have to have alot of stuff just to run my car at that track. but i have a friend with an auto t/a non ws6 with a lid and catback and a few little things and the fastest time hes ran its a 8.59 in the 1/8. so your car will prolly run 8.90-9.00. maybe a tad bit faster if you can get a good launch. theres no way you will make 8.30s or 8.60s the way our car is now... Good Luck man!
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

8.6 is no man's land 4 a vert. just too heavy, especially stock. I'd look for an 8.9-9.1, depending on the track conditions. U definitely won't need a roll cage. best of luck and have fun with it.

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    8.6 is no man's land 4 a vert. just too heavy, especially stock. I'd look for an 8.9-9.1, depending on the track conditions. U definitely won't need a roll cage. best of luck and have fun with it.
    Just how much heaver is a vert compared to a coupe?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I dont think any that will be required for your car. Your car already has a coolant recovery tank. Just go race and have fun.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

150-200 lbs., depending on type of transmission.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post

blau-green
    2001 T/A

Cool question

Hi guys,I have one maybe stupid question but I wanna be sure,when you race do you turn off your TCS or keep them on?Thanx

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

first off most tracks almost all have a mandatory helmet rule. driver must where a dot approved helmet.

I shut my tcs off when i race other wise you wil bog out on the launch

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by screaminbird View Post
    first off most tracks almost all have a mandatory helmet rule. driver must where a dot approved helmet.

I shut my tcs off when i race other wise you wil bog out on the launch
    this is what i was going to say

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by camaro071 View Post
    Hi guys,I have one maybe stupid question but I wanna be sure,when you race do you turn off your TCS or keep them on?Thanx
    Ya, You will def need that off. I shut it off every time I get behind the wheel. Is that a bad thing? I just like to know I can give it every bit of power I can at anytime. I think my 93' Pathfinder has more power than my TA with the TCS on. Should I keep that on more often?

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

There are not many places around me to race, but there is an 1/8 strip about 15 mins away.
    Yeah man I raced at MAM alot back in Highschool (93 Grand Am FTW!) so I know alittle bit about it.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Just go race and have fun.
    Totaly agree. If you go to MAM on Friday/Saturday street nights, as long as you drive your car there (not trailered) they have always just done a quick once over. Everytime that I have went there, I park my car fill out the paper work some guy checks under the hood, makes sure nothing is loose and checks to see if you're leaking anything. Then you're good. Simple as that. Now I have seen them look over the car that were trailered in...And it was atleast a 30-45 min deal. I think the only problem I ever had getting past the inspection was that my battery was alittle loose and I have to tighten a bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by screaminbird View Post
    I know MAM has a helmet rule that is manditory if you go over X speed or X time. I forget what it is. I am sure you are able to find it on their website or give them a call.

But to be honest with you, I havnt been to MAM in about 4 years. So things might of changed. But that how it was when I was going there. Hope this helped.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Helmet would be a good idea no matter how fast you go. Check your battery and make sure it is secure. Sometimes the tray cracks near the headlight and the battery is loose. They will fail you in tech for that. Just run it as is. If you go too fast they will not let you run again but you will know what safety things you have to add to race again.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

the helmet rule is a nhra thing and i think its any thing faster then 13.99 in the 1/4 i dont know about 1/8.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

But to be honest with you, I havnt been to MAM in about 4 years. So things might of changed. But that how it was when I was going there. Hope this helped.[/QUOTE]

Awsome man...Helps a ton..

Do you have any idea how much it costs to race there. I would def. love to be able to go there to keep my driving record clear and my insurance down. Thanks alot for the input tho... I dont know too much about much, so keep it coming.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The Helmet rule is 13.99 and faster for coupes. All convertible drivers are required to wear a helmet and have the top up. If they run faster then 13.49 they need at least a hoop.
    Your Stock car should be fine just go and have fun.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

Do you have any idea how much it costs to race there.

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah if your running a Fbody at MAM you will be really lucky if it runs a 9.0 or better stock with street tires.

The best I could do there when I was close to stock and with street tires was a 9.00.

Dont get your hopes up racing the 1st time, just go to have fun, and get a feel for the car on the track before you go all hard core into it.

TNT was $20 last summer.

I had 1 occasion at MAM that they didnt even make me pop my hood....but I did drive it in.

They didnt make me wear a helmet until I ran a 8.2.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

grab a helmet and go racing...you'll be legal. The helmet thing is just a good idea whether it's a rule or not.

Thread Information