Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White
    2002 WS6

I hate speed lines

This is kind of a random topic, but i wanted to express my hatred form my ws6 speed line wheels. I hate them. I wish i had the other ws6 wheels. The old lady who had the car before me rashed the sh_t out of them and i just dont like the way they look anyway. Anyone else have any opinions on speed lines?

i think its time for new wheels.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I honestly thought they were one of the best looking stock wheel on the f-body. I bought a set and stripped the clear. Then began to polish and stopped because I sold the car. Polished out a LOT of imperfections.

But hey, if everyone liked the same thing we'd all be driving gay ass prius's or something from lack of creativity.

polished

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I love the speedlines

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+2 I like them too. So much that I bought a spare set off another member a few months ago. Three of our wheels had some curb rash that I sanded out and polished. The repairs blended the damaged areas well enough that you do not notice them, unless you really look close.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Definitely like my speedlines. After having owned a lot of chrome mags over the years that all eventually peeled and rusted the benefits of polished aluminum wheels are obvious.

Of course it's OK not to like them. Great thing is you've got lots of options. I think if I was going to swap wheels I'd grab a set of the gold snowflake wheels that Year One carries to fit the 4th gen. A little old and a little new all at the same time and I think they would look great on my car.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I hate them also. I wanted a WS6 TA since like 97 but was saving for a house. After getting in my house in December 2000 I was ready to get the car early in 01 and they had just started putting these monstrosities on. Some 01s still had the older wheels but I couldn't find a black one and the dealership couldn't garuntee if I special ordered it that it'd come with the 98-00 wheels. Needless to say I just went with a regular TA, wasn't gonna pay $3,600 for a hood and awefull wheels. (that I'd end up changing anyway)

It has a big wing!

Can't say I hate them but,I would pick the older style any day over the speedlines...

Now here's a wierd opinion, I actually like the WS6 swirlies over the speedlines...

So yes,my taste is strange!
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I didn't care for the Speedlines at first, but they grew on me over the years. Now I have a set on my Formula, and I love them.

I'm still a fan of the earlier WS6 wheels, and would probably have a set on my car if I had found them first, but I found a great deal on the Speedlines.

I think the Speedlines look better on the Formula though, it seems like the older style suits the TA better.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I didn't care for the Speedlines at first, but they grew on me over the years. Now I have a set on my Formula, and I love them.

I'm still a fan of the earlier WS6 wheels, and would probably have a set on my car if I had found them first, but I found a great deal on the Speedlines.

I think the Speedlines look better on the Formula though, it seems like the older style suits the TA better.
    +1 they have grown on me too. look on craigslist maybe you can find a set of polished 97-00 ws6 rims. I found a pair locally for $365 with tires in great shape with decsent nitto drag radials. And then sell your speedlines.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I've learned my new f-body fact for today. My wheels are called Speedlines...

And I like em too, the wider convex spokes look better than the standard thinner concave 5-stars that come on most cars anymore... (I think I used convex and concave properly)

black
    2001 Trans Am

i'm on the fence on these, in a way i like them, in a way i don't. like some has posted, they have some curb rash, but they do shine up nicely. but i won't be keeping the speedlines on mine, i found a set of wheels on tirerack.com that i really like

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

second favorite stock wheel right after SS 10 Spokes

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

the SS 10 spokes are nice....

Jumping away from stock wheels I have a set of Black z06 wheels on mine, and Ive seen a few other Trans Ams that had gunmetal ones and chrome as well, I think the z06 wheels are nice on our rides as well.

Given the 2 sets of factory wheels, I would prefer the "older" wheels over the "speedlines" for sure.

White
    2002 WS6

so it looks like there are some mixed opinions out there. i just needed to vent. the good news is, i'd rather have speedlines than a set of 16" hubcaps....

anyone have advice for bad rash? (not a bad rash, but bad curb rash) It looks like getting the clear off the wheels is a great option, but what about the wheels that are rashed 1/2 way around the wheel? any saving that?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Depends on how deep it is, what we used to to in the tire shop when people would come in is use an us a air powered rotary sander with real light paper or a buffing pad, as appropriate for the depth of the rash, and smooth it over blend it in with the original finish and clear it as applicable, its not a cure, but it does well at hiding it, again though, it depends more on how deep the rash is than widespread.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by UH60Driver View Post
    Depends on how deep it is, what we used to to in the tire shop when people would come in is use an us a air powered rotary sander with real light paper or a buffing pad, as appropriate for the depth of the rash, and smooth it over blend it in with the original finish and clear it as applicable, its not a cure, but it does well at hiding it, again though, it depends more on how deep the rash is than widespread.

^^ Exactly. I started with a fiber pad on my angle air grinder to blend and smooth the rougher spots. They were then wet sanded and feathered into the surrounding areas. After that, a little polish and they looked a whole lot better.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

I wish the old GTA rims would fit on our cars... I did a photoshop job a while back and I thought they looked great. I would also like the year one snowflakes but who can afford em... lol

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I forgot to add into my previous post, but if its pretty bad, as in deep, scuffed all the way around is no big deal, but if its deep or there's ANY gouges at all, ANY gouges, you need to make sure that they still seal properly and that there arent any cracks hiding out down by the mounting holes, both front and back. When I bought my WS6 the previous owner had some chromies on there that had some rash, and when we took them off to change them out the back sides of 2 of the wheels were cracked between the mount holes, which can be a very dangerous situation depending on when it decides to give, so give a good look for cracks too.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I think your best bet would be to smoot/blend like everyone else mentions. The goal when I polish wheels was to just try to get out enough to where I could wash without the mitt catching. If you can get that without digging into the rim too much, then you'll find at 5 ft, it's not noticeable unless you look for it. Speedlines are clearcoated, so you can remove and polish, fix that area and reclear or fix that spot and just see how noticeable without clear on the lip.

For more extensive damage look up a local wheel repair shop. Most charge about $125 per wheel, but the add material back and clearcoat so it looks good as new.

Black
    00 WS6

I have the older WS6 wheels on my 00 WS6 and I really like them, however, I might sell them to buy some wheels for the track.

Thread Information