I FINALLY join the LS1 Trans Am family!

This is a discussion on I FINALLY join the LS1 Trans Am family! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I'm super excited about this. My dream car has been a '98-'02 Trans am, and I OWN one now as ...

Black
    1995 Firebird

I FINALLY join the LS1 Trans Am family!

I'm super excited about this. My dream car has been a '98-'02 Trans am, and I OWN one now as of this past Saturday. It came about bittersweet as I went to check it out in my now old car, a Pontiac Fiero, because the Fiero had been running like shit, and actually the engine blew up. Anyways it's a 1998, automatic, 151k miles on the body, and white. The only "bad" things is I need a new passenger ground effect as the old one was ripped off so if someone can point me in the direction of a cheap place to buy one that'd be great. Going to have the windows re-tinted as they look bad. Seats have crappy seat covers on the fronts as the leather is ripped pretty bad. Other than that it's VERY nice inside and out! Speakers sound like they're borderline blown when music is up loud so I'll replace those soon too.

Supposedly (I have to contact the shop that did all the work) it has a 6.0 aluminum GTO block, upgraded engine work like lifters/etc, upgraded transmission work, and so on. I know for a fact it has a flowmaster catback as I can see that with silverline tips. I was fine with the car being stock with the price I paid even without proof of said engine/transmission upgrades (about 40k supposedly on both, waiting to hear from that shop for proof) as they guy didn't have it, but I can tell it has some type of upgrades for sure as seems faster than a stock LS1.

I want to do it right with this car with treating it good and not going to shit, not that I neglected my old cars, but I also didn't give them supreme attention. So I want to change the fluids asap soon so I know they're fresh. What brands do you recommend for things like oil, coolant, etc? Also any relatively cheap performance or visual upgrades you recommend? So happy to have a "real" sports car for once. For example I've owned 2 third gen v8s, SEVERAL Fieros, and a V6 4th gen Firebird.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Welcome.....

Good idea in trying to get proof of what work has been done. Another good idea in doing the fluids. Add in spark plugs, check wires and air/fuel filter. That way you know 100% when they were last done.

Looks like you've been on here a while so you know about all of the cars quirks. Go over with a fine tooth comb. Make a list of stuff you find wrong or is questionable. Then decide what to do with them.

Check for SFC's/ with that 6.0 you'll need them more then ever. Find out if you still have the stock rearend. If so that will quickly become something you're going to replace with a 12 bolt or 9 in.

Google/Yahoo a place called Trans Am Creations. They should have the ground effect you're looking for. If you can't find them let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

for the oil use Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 air filter but first i would do a seafoam treatment (just look it up on youtube to see how is done is not hard) drive the car for no more then 300 miles then drain the oil and put new sparkplugs with wires i would go with msd wires and ngk spark plug's try ws6store.com there pretty cheap

for the Coolant use Dextcool gm approve you can get it at your local auto zone is red in color the fluid i mean. (but first flush the radiator out and the water pump buy a radiator flusher.)

then buy a gas filter and air filter (i would buy a performance air filter with a air lid is a pretty cheap mod) try ebay

then if you do have the stock 10 bolt get under the car to check it out if its leaking, if it is go ahead and service it with a new seal, and fluid.

do the breaks if you need it, and also drain the power steering with a turkey paster and add new fluid

for the paint buy sop,wax,and claybar and clean the paint really good.
    Last edited by reaper ws6; 10-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Yeah I'm gonna hopefully get the list of stuff done soon, and I agree with the maintenance. I already have a list I'm doing, but I'm sure I'll find more as I look over the car more. I also forgot to mention I have a U.S. Exotics WS9 ram air hood I had when I had my V6 Firebird, and I'm gonna have it painted and installed hopefully soon. I know about Trans Am Creations they appear out of ground effects though.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hey... where are the pics?

Congrats on the purchase!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here is a sticky I made for general routine maintenance. Should help out some.

General Routine Maintenance / Service Intervals

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

OP also check the for sale section, several members are parting out their cars.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Welcome back to the Birds Nest!

Thread Information