Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

I Dont Know why I have such bad luck...

This is a discussion on I Dont Know why I have such bad luck... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So the bird is at firestone getting injectors and plugs replaced.. $550 job.... Got a call today saying the pcm ...

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Update.

So the bird is at firestone getting injectors and plugs replaced.. $550 job.... Got a call today saying the pcm is to shit...

In my mind im thinking great here comes more $$ dumped in......

Lady "yeah well your pcm is all messed up so were replacing it and getting it flashed and reprogrammed for you at NO CHARGE"

Me " uhhmmm..... Really? For free? "

Im very suprised im not getting charged for this! What a blessing that is.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my guess would be they replaced the injectors and it didn't fix the problem so now their best guess is the pcm.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

^^^^ lol. I was told before the pcm is screwed up. So im getting new pcm, injectorss, and plugs. As long as that fixes it and I dont have to throw down more $$ im good.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, bud. Look at it this way....if this does fix the problem, you have replaced/rebuilt so much on your bird, the chances of something breaking anytime soon are probably pretty slim!

Hope it works out man!
    pajeff02 likes this.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

^^ thnx man. Hope you dont jinx me! Haha ill update soon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hopefully that's got it.....we've all been there. At some point you start thinking a can of gas and a match will fix it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

$550 for replacing a couple of injectors and plugs

Damn I need to start charging ppl I help!!!

I hope the new PCM fixes it for you.

Like Orion post - we've all been there. I had a 96 Firebird that for 2 years I couldn't find what the problem was. About 3 months before I had to go overseas for a yr I keep having misfires, blown plugs and wires, rough idle etc. I change the plugs and wires it would work fine for a month then turn to shit, changed the coils same thing. I left and told the wife let it sit, came back for about 7 months kept trying to find the cause, had to go back overseas for another yr, while there I research like hell. Then I found an article about how GM had a recall on the plate that the coil packs sat on - it was shorting out and caused all my problems. When I got back I swapped the piece. Car started and ran like a scolded child after that.

SO don't give up!!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

So not the fly wheel after all? That's good!

That price seems a little steap for repairs but every shop charges differently..

Glad you got it figured out before tearing into your trany..

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

UPDATE:

okay got the car outta the shop, new injectors, new plugs, new computer.

Car still has a vibration. BUT, Fireston said they reccommend changing my exhaust bc its in rough shape and vibrates alot... hint..
    When i drive it over a bumb a bang happens in the center console.

MY GUESS is the exhaust is connecting to the body and vibrating the hell out of it.
    IF YOU GIVE IT GAS LIGHTLY and move slowly it wont vibrate. I have tried to look underneath the car with it flat on the ground but i cant tell if the exhaust is hitting the floor or not. So any ideas??

Oh P.S. it takes a speed bump to make a bang sound like metal to metal. Im further reviewing, but ideas would be great. Sound is coming from center console only.

Its not the Hermonic Balancer bc well, i checked and im sure Firestone would have caught that.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The two most common clearance issues for F-body exhaust are the underbody brace in the area of the driver side floor pan and the panhard brace over the rear axle on the passenger side.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

^^ Hmm really.... It could be possible once the tranny mount was replaced, pep boys moved the exhaust upward.. didnt even noticed... I mean it CANT be the flywheel if it doesnt happen all the time. its not ALWAYS vibrating. 2moro i will put her on the ramps and see what is going on.

BTW: Exhaust is fully stock with just slp quad tips.

actually pretty damm loud too

But this makes sense right? Im not just dumb on the knowlege? Vibration happens at more harder acceleration and reving in park, bouncing over a bump metal to metal hit( like a metal baseball bat and hitting it with a halo pole)

Tranny shifts perfect, im talking about perfection. lol.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Again, not sure on V6 cars, but there is an exhaust support bracket that mounts to the transmission tail stock on the passenger side of V8 cars.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Again, not sure on V6 cars, but there is an exhaust support bracket that mounts to the transmission tail stock on the passenger side of V8 cars.
    Ill check it out. HOPEFULLY Smittro sees this!!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    Ill check it out. HOPEFULLY Smittro sees this!!
    Yes there is but there is a bracket welded to the factory intermediate pipe just after the cat,

and that slips into a rubber isolator which is (should be) pretty thick.

The braket comes off the pipe and then turns 90 degrees and then goes through the rubber isolator.

The thing is,, the bracket is exposed to wheather, becomes thin, and can easily bend, usually up and down.

I'd have to agree if you're still on the factory intermediate pipe,,,, time for new pipes.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what bushing did you put back in there poly bushing or OEM? The poly will transfer more vibration into the car but from the sounds of it I think your vibration is probably excessive. Did you make sure the exhaust didn't get moved around and is vibrating against the floor?

hmmmm....seems as though I may have called this on page 1 The only way you're going to find it is put it on ramps or stands and get under there. It may not physically be touching but rather extremely close to the floor board. You will have to loosen it up to adjust it. Good luck.....sounds like you're almost on the home stretch.

ps
    since it's doing it when "shocked" make sure you check all the hangers on it because that tells me the exhaust is moving around and if the hangers are doing their job correctly it shouldn't be moving at all.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

^^^ yeah yeah you were on the ball.. Good eye lol thank you! Ill do this, this weeknd.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    hmmmm....seems as though I may have called this on page 1 The only way you're going to find it is put it on ramps or stands and get under there. It may not physically be touching but rather extremely close to the floor board. You will have to loosen it up to adjust it. Good luck.....sounds like you're almost on the home stretch.

ps
    since it's doing it when "shocked" make sure you check all the hangers on it because that tells me the exhaust is moving around and if the hangers are doing their job correctly it shouldn't be moving at all.
    Glad you mentioned this.. There are only 3 hangers on the v6 exhaust iirc.

If you're on the factory intermediate pipe you won't be loosening those hanger bolts @ the cross member.

The bolt heads for the bolts that attach the hanger to the pipe will be rusted to round nubs.(ask me how I know lol),

you can bend the hanger though,

just be cafefull if it's heavily rusted it may be weak and break.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

^^^^ will do! I actually gave my exhaust a kick with my foot this morning bc I was very annoyed (prolly not the best thing to do) but it didnt vibrate once on my way to school. ill still check it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information