98 ws6

Question I cant get my rear hatch to close all the way??

I recently purchased my new Trans Am after taking all your advice and a nice one...pics and details to come. The problem I am having is the trunk wont close all the way. You can stick your fingers in and lift it up basically. It closes and latches but there is a huge gap around the whole thing. It looks like its open all the time. I tried adjusting everything but had no luck. I just took the weatherstrip off and now the trunk closes perfect, but when I look through the crack I can see into the car. So now its closed but how do I keep the water out?! Anyone ever had this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I think I speak for all of us when I say we need pictures of this...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, pictures would help.

What condition is the weather stripping in? Is is soft and pliable all the way around?

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Also check the rubber bumpers and make sure they are rolled all the way in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

98 ws6

I checked everything....it seems like the rubber is holding it up from shutting all the way, it makes no sense!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGuy98 View Post
    I checked everything....it seems like the rubber is holding it up from shutting all the way, it makes no sense!
    Does it look new? Maybe the guy you bought the car from replaced it with a non OEM weather stripping. Or, perhaps they used some sort of dressing that actually hardened it

I don't know. But, you've pretty much narrowed it down the the weather stripping it would seem. Try replacing it.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i also vote on screwing the rubber bump stops in on the hatch. Mine are out a little to get rid of this awful squeek and sometimes it hard to shut the hatch..

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGuy98 View Post
    I recently purchased my new Trans Am after taking all your advice and a nice one...pics and details to come. The problem I am having is the trunk wont close all the way. You can stick your fingers in and lift it up basically. It closes and latches but there is a huge gap around the whole thing. It looks like its open all the time. I tried adjusting everything but had no luck. I just took the weatherstrip off and now the trunk closes perfect, but when I look through the crack I can see into the car. So now its closed but how do I keep the water out?! Anyone ever had this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Silver, listening to your assessment of the issue, my first guess would be your latch needs adjustment. Put the weatherstripping back on, as that is the only way to keep out the weather and the exhaust gasses and the noise. I have a '00 and have to 'slam' my trunk in order to close it. Lift out your plastic carpet cover where the rear latch is and check for looseness or if it has shifted. If you can latch the cover, but there is an airspace between the weatherstripping and the lid, your latch needs adjustment. You may need to 'slam' the decklid in order to make it latch with the weatherstripping glued in. Unless I misunderstand your issue, this should help. There has to be a perfect marriage between the bump stops, the latch, and the weatherstripping in order for it to function the way it was designed to.....
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 11-16-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: additional information shared to help the issue

Thread Information