Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Humor me...

This is a discussion on Humor me... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by BashamWS6 ...well...haha but your trans am is a beast... i was looking at the more subtle solutions ...

  1. #21
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    ...well...haha but your trans am is a beast...
    i was looking at the more subtle solutions now and the build up as my budget allows me...
    Mine is mild.

    Could have gone a little more nuts with it....although cost wouldn't have changed all that much. Just more into the heads.

  2. #22
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    well i was just thinking the 6.0L Iron with Stage 3 ported heads and the ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump, and a ported thottle body...
    i dont know what all is needed for the swap...care to summarize?

    and no i dont want this to be a drag car. i just want some power for...say...when i run into a Z06 or if i want to make a few passes. plus i figure TSP engines are built to take a little more abuse

  3. #23
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Just cam it with some heads for now and a intake. You'll be happy with that for now. May I suggest 228r cam, LS6 heads, FAST 92 intake and with your full exhaust then you will be making at least 430hp and that should be enough for you man. Save up money for more important things right now like COLLEGE for example. Sorry to sound like a father here but hey man we will have our LS9 Trans Am's when we are 40 and can handle that power, for now we are still somewhat kids and I know for a fact that I would go nuts with that much power and be really stupid. IMO.

  4. #24
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    First thing...
    TSP is selling a BARE LQ9 block for $750. No crank, no anything.

    My shortblock was $3750 from TSP.
    This is what you get....
    Click for full size
    No heads, no cam, no lifters, no covers, no pan, no intake, no injectors, just a rotating assembly and block (balanced and blue'd of course).

    Shortblock = $3700
    Heads = $1300 (if you go cheap)
    Cam and valvetrain = $750 (depends on the heads as well)
    New gaskets and bolts = $400
    Intake/TB = $400 (I have $1700 into my FAST)
    Suspension/tires (otherwise you basically waste the power) = $1300 min.
    Rearend = $2500

    Transmission when it gives out = $2000
    LABOR (you mentioned not doing the work yourself because of a certain reason that doesn't matter here) = A FUCKING LOT OF DOLLARS

  5. #25
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Just cam it with some heads for now and a intake. You'll be happy with that for now. May I suggest 228r cam, LS6 heads, FAST 92 intake and with your full exhaust then you will be making at least 430hp and that should be enough for you man. Save up money for more important things right now like COLLEGE for example. Sorry to sound like a father here but hey man we will have our LS9 Trans Am's when we are 40 and can handle that power, for now we are still somewhat kids and I know for a fact that I would go nuts with that much power and be really stupid. IMO.
    arent we already?

    but lets see...
    cam...... $300
    heads.......... $1800
    intake.......... $600
    dyno........... $400
    so about $3100
    compared to $7500+....and i could always transfer the heads and intake and cam into the 6.0 later on right?
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 12-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.

  6. #26
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    arent we already?

    but lets see...
    cam...... $300
    heads.......... $1800
    intake.......... $600
    dyno........... $400
    so about $3100
    compared to $7500....and i could always transfer the heads and intake and cam into the 6.0 later on right?
    sometimes...

    Anyways if you do go with a bigger engine down the road then our gonna want a bigger cam and better heads to go with it too

  7. #27
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    First thing...
    TSP is selling a BARE LQ9 block for $750. No crank, no anything.

    My shortblock was $3750 from TSP.
    This is what you get....
    Click for full size
    No heads, no cam, no lifters, no covers, no pan, no intake, no injectors, just a rotating assembly and block (balanced and blue'd of course).

    Shortblock = $3700
    Heads = $1300 (if you go cheap)
    Cam and valvetrain = $750 (depends on the heads as well)
    New gaskets and bolts = $400
    Intake/TB = $400 (I have $1700 into my FAST)
    Suspension/tires (otherwise you basically waste the power) = $1300 min.
    Rearend = $2500

    Transmission when it gives out = $2000
    LABOR (you mentioned not doing the work yourself because of a certain reason that doesn't matter here) = A FUCKING LOT OF DOLLARS
    ^^^^under certified and noob


    give me a few years...


    so bascally. put money down on suspension and transmission mods
    -MWC/Moser 9" $2700
    -T56 Level V $2400
    -LS7 Clutch/Master Cylindar/SpeedBleeder/Pro 5.0 $1020
    -UMI LCAs/SFCs/Panhard bar/Torque Arm $853
    -PST 3.5 Aluminum DriveShaft $420
    -Strano's/Konis $1050
    -Nitto's $1000+
    ..................$9,443
    am i missing anything suspension/chassis/tranny wise?

  8. #28
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    It all depends on what order you plan on doing things. And how far you eventually plan on going with it.

    A solid base is worth every dime though.
    Our cars with a good suspension and 350RWHP are a TON of fun to drive.

  9. #29
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    yeah its fun now...i love these cars...always have and probably always will
    well not now with 3/4" ice and a possible bent rod/lifter/etc.etc.

    ill probably end up with the rear end, new tires/rims, ls7 clutch kit, and LCAs this summer.

    wish i knew more about engines and shit. id love to get into this stuff but i guess im skidish about getting under the hood and making a $1000 fuck up...

  10. #30
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    It all depends on what order you plan on doing things. And how far you eventually plan on going with it.

    A solid base is worth every dime though.
    Our cars with a good suspension and 350RWHP are a TON of fun to drive.

  11. #31
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    dude.. these cars with a V6 are fun to drive....just not as easy to get into trouble

  12. #32
    Army of 1 wooddaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alachua, Fl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,733

    Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    dude.. these cars with a V6 are fun to drive....just not as easy to get into trouble
    I have good suspension, and just under 430 RWHP (In 80 degree weather and florida humidity.) I smile every time I start my car (As my neighbors all scowl at me) and it is an absolute blast to drive. It only cost me around 3K to do the heads, cam/exhaust/gears. Its a small cam too, good daily driver. I bought everything piece by piece and the majority of it used. You can do it on a budget as long as you look for deals on here and Tech and craigslist. I bought an LS6 intake for 100$ on craigslist. I just drove to Mississippi and back a couple weeks ago. I averaged 25.5 MPG on the highway, not bad for a H/C car with 373's( you were talking about mileage somewhere.)

    You're young. Plenty of time to save up for a bigger motor later on. 430RWHP is PLENTY to have a good time. Plus, if you are going to go insane with power you want to have enough $ saved up to A: buy a Daily Driver and B: make sure you do things right with your car.

    Be safe and try not to get tickets. I had a 97 Z28 when I was 17 and my driving record paid dearly for it...

  13. #33
    Member godless-phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    culver city, Ca.
    Posts
    459

    Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    "im constantly changing my mind..."

    ...because your 17 ...haha, just messin with yah

    dont try and make it a drag car you will NOT be happy with it. i promise a mild cam wheels tires and all the suspension upgrades will bring such a big grin to your face each and EVERY time start her up

    dont make the same mistakes so many others do and go over board with a DD

    +1 to this

  14. #34
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    your 17, your mind will change a lot more before you make up your mind.

    cam it, do some wheels 224R 228R no bigger please. do LOTS of handling improvement mods you will be happy you did! and as i always say..install SUB FRAME CONNECTORS FIRST! save your car some hard times and do it a flavor.
    good luck on any decision you choose though..enjoy the car. just not to much lol
    man i cannot wait till we do mine lol

  15. #35
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    alright. well then. lets talk about heads, cams, intakes/TBs

    and question. i notice in '99 they put 26lb fuel injector when the 98&00-02 had 28lbs... would larger fuel injectors help?

  16. #36
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    As you increase the engine's ability to ingest air -- ie. heads, cam, intake, you also need to make the appropriate upgrades to your fuel system. There is a formula for sizing injectors once you know what you want to go with.

  17. #37
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    alright. well then. lets talk about heads, cams, intakes/TBs

    and question. i notice in '99 they put 26lb fuel injector when the 98&00-02 had 28lbs... would larger fuel injectors help?
    yeah talk to TmexicanA he did the cam in his ws6 and his dads gto so he kinda knows whats up and what to look out for

  18. #38
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    You need to keep your injectors at right around 80% duty cycle when WOT.
    Anymore and it is time to step them up.
    Also do not want to go too big.

  19. #39
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    well i figured that if i went with the ls6 intake and ported TB...and with my exhaust...then i would need to atleast step them up to 28 right?

  20. #40
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    well i figured that if i went with the ls6 intake and ported TB...and with my exhaust...then i would need to atleast step them up to 28 right?
    Doubt it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Military Humor
    By robcas47 in forum Military Members
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
  2. Some UPS Humor
    By SMWS6TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 11:12 PM
  3. A little humor
    By KahanaReef in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 05:54 PM
  4. Look if you have a sense of humor
    By 01ws6er in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
  5. Rice Humor
    By RainMan in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •