Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humor me...

Impounded

Humor me...

Possible Swap?
    yes i realize money...
    this summer i'll be buying my some goodies (MWC 9", UMI LCAs, UMI Swaybars, UMI SFCs, Koni's, Strano's, etc. etc.)

So my suspension should be able to handle more power...
    well being my car has 86,000 and will probably be close to 90,000 by the end of summer. ive been looking around...

looks like a fan favorite are the LQ4/LQ9..
    well TSP has a GM 6.0L Cast Iron Block for $750
    yes i know...cast iron is heavy and will add some 85-90lbs
    but i read where this will work with my headers for my LS1 and that its a pretty easy fit in our cars.

whats your thoughts? Opinions? or other ideas or suggestions?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Dont go by what others thing do what you want in your car how or whatever application you want your car best for, and you being 17 how do you afford these things?

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Dont go by what others thing do what you want in your car how or whatever application you want your car best for, and you being 17 how do you afford these things?
    well.. ive always been a car freak.. so ive always worked to save for a car
    so ive worked since i was 13 (around my grandparents farm) and then i got another job on top of that so i had two jobs for the past...4 years.
    well my parents bought me a firebird for my xmas/16th bday present being my bday was 8 days after xmas
    well i totalled that last february and insuence gave me almost $7000 (they paid 4500).
    i bought my TA for $9200...then i had a gurl back into me causing an estmated $3000 of cosmetic damage well it ended up only costing $2200
    ...blind luck basically

and im basically going by whats the best value in terms of HP to $ to easy of install
    but im still debating on all the possiblilities...who knows... i might sell this and buy a newer WS6 or something else...im constantly changing my mind...
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 12-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

So technically all your money should be going to pay an unbelievably high car insurance rate...with all those resent accidents and the fact that you drive a high risk car at a "high risk" age group.

Just giving you a hard time.

Now to answer your question, I would only go to the iron 6 LQ4/LQ9 if you can justify the weight penalty. What I mean is, if you're gonna make BIG power, then go for it.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I'd just beef up the LS1, forged internals and a bore...good luck holmes

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

your 17, your mind will change a lot more before you make up your mind.

cam it, do some wheels 224R 228R no bigger please. do LOTS of handling improvement mods you will be happy you did! and as i always say..install SUB FRAME CONNECTORS FIRST! save your car some hard times and do it a flavor.
    good luck on any decision you choose though..enjoy the car. just not to much lol

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    your 17, your mind will change a lot more before you make up your mind.

cam it, do some wheels 224R 228R no bigger please. do LOTS of handling improvement mods you will be happy you did! and as i always say..install SUB FRAME CONNECTORS FIRST! save your car some hard times and do it a flavor.
    good luck on any decision you choose though..enjoy the car. just not to much lol
    I would def cam it, with some heads intake tune and what not first thats what I am doing to mine first. And their is no point in buying a whole new ws6 if you already have one now lol be a waste of money.

Impounded
    well the first wreck only raised me like $100 per 6 months...and the second wasnt my fault so... tickets would be a bad thing for me but luckily my deferals have saved me except i got an unsafe start on my record now (which was crap...the s10 and civic in front of me didnt get pulled over for their peel out)...so that push it up again... but the thing is...my insurance is better than any of my friends...and theyre driving suvs/trucks/v6 4door cars...so ive been lucky again.

as for big power. of course thats what i want haha.
    but i want an engine that will take my headers too being theyll only be a year or so old when i get the swap. weight. i can easily shave 90lbs in the car (jack and spare and racing seats etc.....and my hood is aftermarket thanks to wreck so i already shaved 20lbs there)
    but the reasons im leaning to the 6.0L is because it can take up to 10lbs boost right off the start because its iron and its $750 for the block...of course idk if a tunrkey engine would be a better value...
    my question is...what would be the way to go if i was looking for the following:
    easy install---no BFH needed
    horsepower to money ratio
    work with my LS1 Kooks 1 7/8 headers
    work with alot of the same LS1 set up
    but something that i havent thought of...gas mileage...id like to keep it around the same
    some threads i looked at say go with a built up LS1...but i feel like i could get more stock HP with a bigger CI engine thats stock for now and the build up on that...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    my question is...what would be the way to go if i was looking for the following:
    Yes, its a direct swap
    ????
    Yes, its a direct swap
    Yes, its a direct swap
    but something that i havent thought of...gas mileage...id like to keep it around the same
    Throw that idea right out the window
    some threads i looked at say go with a built up LS1...but i feel like i could get more stock HP with a bigger CI engine thats stock for now and the build up on that...
    Answers above in bold

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    well the first wreck only raised me like $100 per 6 months...and the second wasnt my fault so... tickets would be a bad thing for me but luckily my deferals have saved me except i got an unsafe start on my record now (which was crap...the s10 and civic in front of me didnt get pulled over for their peel out)...so that push it up again... but the thing is...my insurance is better than any of my friends...and theyre driving suvs/trucks/v6 4door cars...so ive been lucky again.

as for big power. of course thats what i want haha.
    but i want an engine that will take my headers too being theyll only be a year or so old when i get the swap. weight. i can easily shave 90lbs in the car (jack and spare and racing seats etc.....and my hood is aftermarket thanks to wreck so i already shaved 20lbs there)
    but the reasons im leaning to the 6.0L is because it can take up to 10lbs boost right off the start because its iron and its $750 for the block...of course idk if a tunrkey engine would be a better value...

Yea you can but it will be about the same because of the fact the block will be heavier lol.

Impounded
    Cutlass...is that for all the engines at TSP? or are their exceptions? im new to swaps

and by HP to $ ratio i mean whats the biggest bag for my buck...

im just looking for a bigger engine that will work with alot of ls1 components so i dont have to completely swap everything under the hood.
    i figure that fuel/wiring/oil systems and a tune wll be necessary

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The LQ4 and LQ9 are in the Gen III LS series of engine. So it is physically identical to the LS1 in your car. All exhaust, motor mounts, and every other engine accessory will bolt up exactly like your LS1. Its a no brainer swap

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

But if you plan on dropping in a stock 6.0, you're gonna make your car slower. Its heavier and its horsepower is the same or less then your current LS1

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    But if you plan on dropping in a stock 6.0, you're gonna make your car slower. Its heavier and its horsepower is the same or less then your current LS1
    I am actually going to say depends on the stuff he throws into the block.

Impounded
    would TSP's 427 cid LS3/L92 Aluminium Stroker Short Block work?
    or should i go with 6.0L iron block with a 408 CI rotating assemblies, LS6 intake, LS6 oil pump, better than 26lb fuel injectors, and a good set of heads and maybe a small streetable cam...looking at about $6k-7k?
    or am i ignorant here?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not ignorant.

Just not up on what those kind of motors require or cost.

Impounded
    know of any good write ups then? ive been searching but apparently im missing...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Suspension, rear, motor, tires, maintenance...

I have well over $20K into mine. Motor is around $10K itself.

Impounded
    ...well...haha but your trans am is a beast...
    i was looking at the more subtle solutions now and the build up as my budget allows me...

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

dont try and make it a drag car you will NOT be happy with it. i promise a mild cam wheels tires and all the suspension upgrades will bring such a big grin to your face each and EVERY time start her up

dont make the same mistakes so many others do and go over board with a DD

Thread Information