Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

HUD in F-Body??

This is a discussion on HUD in F-Body?? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; On a similar note... How bout dual zone climate control from a GP? It is such a nice feature when ...

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

On a similar note... How bout dual zone climate control from a GP? It is such a nice feature when you have a girlfriend who is ALWAYS cold and wants the heat on full blast even when its like 75 outside. I'm pretty sure the controls would fit but im not sure about the ducting and what all goes into that...

But I'm definately interested in this one! HUD on my old GTP was awesome!

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

i just done see how a HUD in an F-Body would be IMPOSSIBLE

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    The Windshield glass is different on the GPs for HUD/non-HUD cars....but I don't know how well it work work with Normal glass....
    Yeah... the difference was that they put a small piece of film between the panes when they molded the glass, right where the hud will shine on the windshield. It's more reflective than the windshield glass itself, but allows you to see through it. If you buy some window tint that has a very high light transmission rate (like 80 or 85%), cut it into a 4" by 4" square and apply it to the windshield in the right place, it should work just dandy. I may have to experiment with different types.
    Last edited by Kalepsis; 12-09-2007 at 09:29 PM.

midnight Blue
    '99 Trans Am ws7

I actually own a GTX and the HUD is Insane. I love it, and thought of how it would work, if you look at a regular GP with out HUD, the glass isnt tinted. I think if you were to just get a little tint on the windsheld.. Iknow it may be hard to have any Tint shop to do because its Illegal below the rear view mirror. I suppose the little bit of reflection shows the actual Display. now wiring it into your speed and all that may be the hardest part. And I know some of you would be way better at it than i would be. I think if theres enough will to do it, it can and will be done.

Keep us updated

Silver
    98 A4 TA

I just looked over the schematics I have, and they may not have everything I need in them, so I'm going to have to ask that if anyone has full system diagrams for a 98-02 TA and/or a 2001-series GTP, please send them my way via email to lordkalenth@yahoo.com. My registered email is my work email, and I can't access it at home.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Kalepsis, whats up with your lights? Where can I find them? Looks good.

blue
    1998 trans am ws6

that was one of the coolest features in my old 98 GTP i miss that car just a little bi

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by oreowizard View Post
    Kalepsis, whats up with your lights? Where can I find them? Looks good.
    It's something I'm fabricating myself. I bought some fog light housings with projector lenses, got an H3 bulb size HID kit from Ebay for $100 shipped, then fabricated a steel bracket to hold them up. I'm still working on the "tub" piece that surrounds the lights and seals off the engine compartment. Right now, there's a big hole on either side of my hood. Fiberglass has been uncooperative so far, so I'm looking into vacuum-forming plastics or other ways of doing it.

I am happy to report that even with big holes on the front of the car, the headlights and steel brackets are stable at 130+ mph. And selling the parts of the flip-up unit has completely paid for everything so far. All in all, I don't think I'll have to spend more than $300 making the whole thing. I'll post a write-up on the whole thing when I'm all done with it.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

there is some place that sells them actually forget where i saw them but it was some dress up accessory. i don't think it looked good on the WS6 hood versions. but kalepsis has those looking pretty good

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

I've looked for aftermarket light kits to dress up the lights and havent found much. Only OEM stuff from the parts house. Would like to find clear lenses nsted of the ones that arent really clear. Anyone know of any links to find the like.

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Thanks, guys! I'll post a lot more pics when it's all done... I plan to do plenty of work over the Christmas/New Year's break. As for the kit that I DIDN'T want, it's Breathless Performance:

http://www.breathlessperformance.com...53firebird.asp

(Scroll down to the bottom for 98-02) And their prices jumped another $100. I've seen one of these up close on a red 99 TA, and it's cheaply made, the mix-and-match lights look like crap, it's not even HID, and it's $1100!!! Freaking ridiculous! The only reason it's that expensive is because that company has a monopoly on it. No one else makes a fixed-headlight conversion for our cars. YET... Give me some more time, and I just might be able to market what I've designed... with real HID... for a LOT less.

And I got the HUD in the mail yesterday. I'm going to be taking my dash apart this weekend to see what I can see. First, I need to talk to Pontiac and see if I can get better wiring diagrams for my 98 TA, and some for the 01 GTP the HUD came out of.

Silver
    98 A4 TA

I've looked for aftermarket light kits to dress up the lights and havent found much. Only OEM stuff from the parts house. Would like to find clear lenses nsted of the ones that arent really clear. Anyone know of any links to find the like.
    You could do what I'm planning on doing... send your headlight doors to a company that does vacuum-forming, and ask them to make a clear cover in exactly the same shape. Afterthoughts Auto did it with the license-plate cover, so I don't think it would be too hard. Or are you talking about crystal-clear bulb lenses instead of the ones with diffuser lines?
    Last edited by Kalepsis; 12-13-2007 at 10:23 AM.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

which HUD did you get ?...the actualy GTP HUD or one of the aftermarket ones?

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    which HUD did you get ?...the actualy GTP HUD or one of the aftermarket ones?
    I bought one from ebay that came out of a wrecked 01 Grand Prix GTP. The switch has a 7-pin connector, and the hud has a 16-pin. I didn't get the wire harness with it, so I might have to go scrounging for parts somewhere.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

i want one with no diffuser lines. Like you can find for the 88-98 C1500s.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Yeah I'm not big on the lights on the link either.

Silver
    98 A4 TA

i want one with no diffuser lines. Like you can find for the 88-98 C1500s.
    I looked for about a half hour today, but I couldn't find any. My advice would be to go to Advance or Auto Zone and look at their catalogs and see if any companies make a crystal clear bulb to replace the H4703 (low-beam) or H4701 (high-beam) bulbs. I've seen some for the 82-92 models, but I don't remember if they made any for ours.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

its not actually a bulb, its the housing and one bulb together. On my truck, the lenses are clear and just change the bulbs out of the back of the housing.

Awaiting Activation

black
    01 ws6

which wire diagrams do you need specifically? i can get them all for you from my ondemand 5, this is an awesome project and would love to see more oni t

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

congratulations kalepsis for taking on the task...Not many would..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information