Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

How screwed am I?

I am thinkin about moving to California from Texas to finish my degree and I was wondering if I'll need to sell the hawk before I go. I have a 2000 with headers y-pipe and cats and !AIR !EGR. I know cali is really picky with that stuff, but how picky? Do they have visual inspections and do they know that a 2000 is supposed to have EGR? They are Mac headers if that helps. I think my cats are 49 state legal and I think I know which one is the holdout on that. I love my car, but after I get a degree I can get a vette or something, so I'll do it if I have to, but I'll miss her. Anyone from Cali have experience with exhaust nazis?
    2005 GTO QSM A4. K&N CAI, Pro M MAF.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

i think the only way you'll get screwed is if you register it in california. if you keep it as a texas registration and texas plates i think you'll be fine. all depends on how long your in Cali.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    i think the only way you'll get screwed is if you register it in california. if you keep it as a texas registration and texas plates i think you'll be fine. all depends on how long your in Cali.
    that's a good idea!!!

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

It'll be a few years at least. Maybe I can register in Texas using my dad or brother's address?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

i dont think they would make you register in california because my buddy has his cobalt in north carolina for over a year now and its still registered in ohio with an ohio plate so i would call and find out for sure and if you dont have to register it then don't.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Yeah the only problem is you might have to drive it back to Texas when you need safety inspections.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

or find a buddy at an inspection place

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

if you firmly believe you will not pass then i suggest driving it back to texas when saftey inspections are needed just becuase it would suck some major ass to make it legal in cali. that fuckin state sucks lol

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

i dont think they would make you register in california because my buddy has his cobalt in north carolina for over a year now and its still registered in ohio with an ohio plate so i would call and find out for sure and if you dont have to register it then don't.
    Unless you have a permanent address outside of the state then you are supposed to get the tags and plates and drivers license switched over within 60 days in NC. But unless you get pulled it usually is not a problem its just a bitch when you do finally go to do it. My ex had a hell of a time getting it all corrected when she finally did it after moving here from Maine.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

I would register it there if I thought it had a chance of passing California's strict smog checks and visual inspection. It won't. Since I'll be going to college full time anyway, I think I'll sell it before I leave Texas. Can't afford a car payment with a part time job and GI Bill doesn't pay that much.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

IN ohio i filed for Collector plates and was ok, I dont know abaout cali though.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk23 View Post
    I would register it there if I thought it had a chance of passing California's strict smog checks and visual inspection. It won't. Since I'll be going to college full time anyway, I think I'll sell it before I leave Texas. Can't afford a car payment with a part time job and GI Bill doesn't pay that much.
    But if you're just going for college, you can still call TX your home state using your mom/dad's address. I mean, fuck selling it dude, seriously!

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

I know, I don't really want to, but I don't think I'll be able to afford $285 a month plus insurance plus my wife's car plus my 2 month old baby's needs all while going to college full time. It's bad enough I'm going to have to live with my in-laws for a few years. I love my hawk, but i may have to sacrifice. I'll try to find another one someday. Or a vette, depends on the job i can get after school.

red

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk23 View Post
    I know, I don't really want to, but I don't think I'll be able to afford $285 a month plus insurance plus my wife's car plus my 2 month old baby's needs all while going to college full time. It's bad enough I'm going to have to live with my in-laws for a few years. I love my hawk, but i may have to sacrifice. I'll try to find another one someday. Or a vette, depends on the job i can get after school.
    With all that going on with you why then come to Cali when you can go to school local and be with your family and still have the car? What school you plan to attend at?
    1996 Z28 LT-1 (with basic bolt-on)

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Yep I'm in north carolina as well and I have no emissions but I just keept my ohio plates and it's worked out just fine.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

I buy it and baby it. lol

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

I'll be going to San Diego State. I would go local, but I have to work full time to pay rent and 2 car payments so it will take forever to get a degree. I can live with my in-laws in Cali, take the bus to school and get paid from the GI Bill and go to school full time and not have to work. I can get my degree in 3 years instead of 7 or 8 taking one or two classes at a time.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

how much you wanna sell your t/a for??

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

how much you wanna sell your t/a for??
    Don't know yet. I won't be selling until March, though. It's in really good shape, just hit 50k miles, new tires, dynoed at 332rwhp with just Macs, lid, and tune. It's an A4, too. I'm hoping to get $14k or so when the time comes.

2000 Trans Am

Speaking from experience ( i moved to cali from Illinois where there is NO emissions) They are very picky around here in regards to smog, as far as the safety check they do not have those in california so you are good there. And yes they do know that the 2000 TA came with egr that is what i failed for......so to be safe i would just leave it registered in texas, and if you get pulled over just tell them you are going to school here and that is why you haven't registered yet.........unless you are a resident in california (living here for more then 3 months and working here) you can have out of state plates, but since you are going to go to school no worries..........
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Thread Information