Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How much do you make?

This is a discussion on How much do you make? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; 280k. this is before my expenses. 48k after....

SOM
    2002 WS6

280k. this is before my expenses.
    48k after.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by Anwazi View Post
    I got mine with 85k on it for $10,200. They say you should only spend 30% of your yearly income on a car. ie: you make 30k, you should buy a car for 10k. That way you can actually afford it and other things. I don't know who "they" are, but it makes sense.
    That's funny when I was younger they said 5x your annual salary. Hence I bought a '81 200SX for $10K instead of a nice new 280zxt for $18K. I really wanted that Z car. ;-) But the 200SX was nice.

Firebirds were out of my salary range as well at that time....

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    That's funny when I was younger they said 5x your annual salary. Hence I bought a '81 200SX for $10K instead of a nice new 280zxt for $18K. I really wanted that Z car. ;-) But the 200SX was nice.

Click for full size

Firebirds were out of my salary range as well at that time....

Maybe the dollar was a little stronger back then. cars may have been less compared to what people made. I read that little "fun fact" somewhere. But truly, it makes sense. I pay 309/month for mine, but when you include insurance gas, upkeep...it's more like $700-800/month. i could be putting this money away for my retirment corvette fund! In ten years i could have $84,000. that's not bad.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Anwazi View Post
    Maybe the dollar was a little stronger back then. cars may have been less compared to what people made. I read that little "fun fact" somewhere. But truly, it makes sense. I pay 309/month for mine, but when you include insurance gas, upkeep...it's more like $700-800/month. i could be putting this money away for my retirment corvette fund! In ten years i could have $84,000. that's not bad.
    Still when you consider that most decent new cars are around 600$ a month before insurance, as long as you have something you enjoy and it's not breaking the bank you are doin alright. I pay 209$ a month and 50$ a month for insurance, maybe 30$ in gas a week. When the car is paid off in a year I'll be doin pretty good.

Black
    00 WS6

It does not matter what you make, it's what you save that counts. My 17 year old son has been working since April and has $2,500 in the bank. He only makes $8.20 an hour. I know he does not have any really expenses, but he needs to learn to save. He wants a camaro really bad, but I told him he has to have $5,000 in the bank before we will even talk about it.
    Last edited by qwk93ta; 10-05-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    It does not matter what you make, it's what you save that counts. My 17 year old son has been working since April and has $2,500 in the bank. He only makes $8.20 and hour. I know he does not have any really expenses, but he needs to learn to save. He wants a camaro really bad, but I told him he has to have $5,000 in the bank before we will even talk about it.
    That's really good. This sort of thing needs to spread like wildfire.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That's really good. This sort of thing needs to spread like wildfire.
    That is outstanding. You wouldn't believe the amount of college kids I see here in town driving brand new luxury/sports cars/SUV's that mom and dad paid for. Most of them have no idea what it means to keep a job and work for what you own.

Red
    2001 WS6

40k but i still live with parents i get alot of shit on that. I plan on buying a house soon had 98k saved in the bank then i bought my z06 so that kinda put me down to 30k but a house is next.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Not sure how you figure that. It depends where you live. I think shits way overpriced where I live. 30k in Wyoming and 30k in New York are two totally different things.
    lol tell me about it. a house that would go for a cool million here in vegas can be built on a 10 acre lot for 200k with land purchase included in cheyenne wyoming. high cost of living but if you have the know and drive for finding a good job you can make good money here. last year was my first year in my apprenticeship. i took home 40k. that is 45% of journemans wage.

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    lol tell me about it. a house that would go for a cool million here in vegas can be built on a 10 acre lot for 200k with land purchase included in cheyenne wyoming. high cost of living but if you have the know and drive for finding a good job you can make good money here. last year was my first year in my apprenticeship. i took home 40k. that is 45% of journemans wage.
    In the Midwest you can buy a very nice house for under 300k, I have an 1,100 square foot garage, makes it nice for working on cars in the winter. Your winters don't get very cold though......

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

In the Midwest you can buy a very nice house for under 300k, I have an 1,100 square foot garage, makes it nice for working on cars in the winter. Your winters don't get very cold though......
    I work at a mortgage company, there are some sweet deals right now.

Not that these are sweat deasl as they are in horrible detroit hoods but i saw 3 houses for sale in detroit for under 8,000 the other day. all 3 were 2 bedroom 1 baths with around 1,000 square feet.

white
    2000 Z28

its only cold up in the towers while they are being built. it gets real windy up high. but on the ground a hoody is enough. the only thing about the midwest is the drop in money if i wanted to transfer through the union. the bottom of the housing market is hard to foresee so alot of people, myself included got into houses for what was cheap at the time. but my house has a lot of sentimental value to me. so i dont mind hanging on to it. if ever i do sell it though it will be in more than 15 years for sure. the building trades here make plenty to stay comfortable, with plenty of extras, if you can keep working. but some trades have it easier than others as far as keeping work.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

About $58.8 a year. Retired Military and now work for Boeing. All after taxes and bullshit of course.

pewter
    2001 pontiac trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    That is outstanding. You wouldn't believe the amount of college kids I see here in town driving brand new luxury/sports cars/SUV's that mom and dad paid for. Most of them have no idea what it means to keep a job and work for what you own.
    I feel the same way! I hate seeing kids around here driving mommy and daddys corvette around. You know the kid driving it hasnt put a dime towards the car!

blue
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    About $58.8 a year. Retired Military and now work for Boeing. All after taxes and bullshit of course.
    i can wait to beable to pull that one off.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

full time student soo that comes out to about negative16k a year... oh wait i worked during summer so that puts me at about negative 13k for this year

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

70K and they pay for my graduate schooling, which amounts to about 6K a year. I graduate this fall with my MBA so I can only assume my pay scale will be bumped up nicely come my next review.

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    70K and they pay for my graduate schooling, which amounts to about 6K a year. I graduate this fall with my MBA so I can only assume my pay scale will be bumped up nicely come my next review.
    My company is only giving out an average of 2.5% salary increases. I have two people that work for me that have an MBA, they will not be happy like everyone else. This market sucks!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My company is only giving out an average of 2.5% salary increases. I have two people that work for me that have an MBA, they will not be happy like everyone else. This market sucks!
    I do agree here. My annual raise this year was 4%, which I was very happy with considering the market. I did get a 15% increase last year though, which although was long overdue, was much appreciated. This sort of raise from the corporation is pretty much unheard of unless you get a huge promotion, which I didn't even get a job-title change.

I overheard the accounting/finance person speaking with my boss about a week ago and they were talking about budgets for next year and my name was mentioned. Wishful thinking probably, but regardless, they know what my goals are. I have given them my plan of where I want to be within the corporation as a self-development tool.

If their plans don't correlate with mine, I will have to pursue other interests. I refuse to let this market keep me from making what I am worth, and from getting to where I need to be.

Black
    00 WS6

I have a $1,500,000 budget for 2010 down from $1,700,000 in 09.....most companies are cutting back. If you have a good job, don't move for a few thousand dollars, it's not worth it. I did that many years ago an had to work for a company I could not stand for about 1 1/2 until I found another job!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information