Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How many of you run cats?

This is a discussion on How many of you run cats? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just thought of something. If someone were to gut their cats and have them stretched out a little so ...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I just thought of something. If someone were to gut their cats and have them stretched out a little so that they could be slipped over the end part of longtube headers and clamped down (to look like stock location to the uneducated eye) what kind of trouble could they get in if that one person at the testing place that knew what they were looking at happened to stick a mirror under the car and notice that the cats were inoperative? What do the laws say about that kind of thing?

black
    02 trans am ws6

i have shorty's headers not happy with sound if i remove cats would it sound better . i know shorty's was i bad idea but to late to cry know.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    What is e-check?
    emissions

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

I just thought of something. If someone were to gut their cats and have them stretched out a little so that they could be slipped over the end part of longtube headers and clamped down (to look like stock location to the uneducated eye) what kind of trouble could they get in if that one person at the testing place that knew what they were looking at happened to stick a mirror under the car and notice that the cats were inoperative? What do the laws say about that kind of thing?
    you fail, and u gotta go put cats on

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    you fail, and u gotta go put cats on
    Is that all? You couldn't get in any kind of trouble? I think I'm going to give it a try and see how real it looks. When someone decides to use their mirror at the test, it shouldn't be distinguishable as an inoperative set up from the angle they are looking at it from. (I don't think.)

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Is that all? You couldn't get in any kind of trouble? I think I'm going to give it a try and see how real it looks. When someone decides to use their mirror at the test, it shouldn't be distinguishable as an inoperative set up from the angle they are looking at it from. (I don't think.)
    no, you dont get it. when they do the actual emissions test, your Nox will be too high (One of the main things cats filter out), and your car will be considered a gross polluter. You will have to get it repaired, and then inspected by a referee, THEN you can get it smogged again. If you live in an emissions state, and your car is a daily driver, then just leave the emissions stuff alone. Its not worth it. But thats my opinion, do whatever you want

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

no, you dont get it. when they do the actual emissions test, your Nox will be too high (One of the main things cats filter out), and your car will be considered a gross polluter. You will have to get it repaired, and then inspected by a referee, THEN you can get it smogged again. If you live in an emissions state, and your car is a daily driver, then just leave the emissions stuff alone. Its not worth it. But thats my opinion, do whatever you want
    I don't know of any state besides Cali that does a tailpipe emmissions check on OBDII cars. Most just plug into the diagnostic port, pull the codes, check the readiness of the emmissions system, and if it all checks out then you pass.

So as long as you have the codes for the EGR/AIR/Downstream O2's tuned out, you should pass with flying colors.

Ohio was doing the sniffer test here on all cars 25 years old or newer.
    They did a visual both engine and under the car, then plugged into the diagnostic port (if you had one) and also the car was put on rollers and ran up to a certain mph or rpm while they tested emmissions at the tailpipe.
    The cost was $20 I believe, I never had to do it, as I moved out of the county before it was implimented,,,but it only lasted a few years until Ohio got rid of e-checking all together.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ohio was doing the sniffer test here on all cars 25 years old or newer.
    They did a visual both engine and under the car, then plugged into the diagnostic port (if you had one) and also the car was put on rollers and ran up to a certain mph or rpm while they tested emmissions at the tailpipe.
    The cost was $20 I believe, I never had to do it, as I moved out of the county before it was implimented,,,but it only lasted a few years until Ohio got rid of e-checking all together.
    Thats exactly what we have here. Anybody want to let me register my car in a non-emissions area?
    Last edited by mpunklil; 05-10-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typoed a wrong word

Black
    1999 Trans Am

They don't measure all the Nox and stuff here, they just do the OBDII plug in test. What I was worried about though was someone doing a visual test with a mirror underneath the car. From what I can tell they randomly do the visual-mirror test on every couple cars at the couple of places that I have been to to get my cars tested. I was just worried about getting in some kind of trouble, faking to make the car look like it has cats when it really doesn't. (Just in case my car got the random visual check with the mirror.)

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

i didnt really check to see if this was said so i will say it... after a certain year(aka our years) obdII sensor is used to check emmisions instead of the good ol trusty probe, so u bring ur car to a shop like i got down the street and they mask ur o2 sensors that tells the obd2 that everythings good

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

dumb question cuz i dont have emissions here, but what if u have cats on for the test and just take them off the next day? unless im missing something i dont see why everyone on here isnt saying that thats what theyre gonna do

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    dumb question cuz i dont have emissions here, but what if u have cats on for the test and just take them off the next day? unless im missing something i dont see why everyone on here isnt saying that thats what theyre gonna do
    I thought about that, but just figured it would be kind of a pain to put them on and then take them, even if it is only every couple years. Plus most people (myself included) want LTs, meaning that their Y or X pipe would actually have to me modified to allow for the addition or the removal of cats...I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I thought about that, but just figured it would be kind of a pain to put them on and then take them, even if it is only every couple years. Plus most people (myself included) want LTs, meaning that their Y or X pipe would actually have to me modified to allow for the addition or the removal of cats...I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    i would think that it wouldnt be a bad idea to do that every couple years in order to obtain the optimal exhaust to your taste.

if ur desired exhaust system is that important to u, i think every couple years wouldnt be that bad

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

im pretty sure the only way to go with lts is a ory so itd be kinda stupid to try n fit cats on there... you can.. but you'd hack away at the pretty ceramic coating

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    i would think that it wouldnt be a bad idea to do that every couple years in order to obtain the optimal exhaust to your taste.

if ur desired exhaust system is that important to u, i think every couple years wouldnt be that bad
    Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be that bad. I know theres a lot of people on here that wouldn't mind doing it every couple years. I just don't know if I would want to continue to add them and then remove them every couple years. I suppose if it wasn't to hard to do I would, I just can't see how I would do it without making some kind of removeable (clamp on) section of the X or Y pipe that would go in the place of the cats when they're not in use. Thats with the LTs of course.

Thats exactly what I would do. If I ever got in a situation and had to e-check my 02 Camaro, I would do one of several things depending on how picky they are.

If they want the cats in the original location then I would remove the long tube headers and off road y-pipe and reinstalled the factory manifolds and cats, and then burn the factory tune back into the car, have it checked and go right back to the house and reverse everything.

If they weren't picky about the location of the cats I would make a section on the off road y-pipe to install a pair of aftermarket cats, that could then be removed for a section of pipe. It would be easy to weld some flanges on there and make the whole operation simple, just remove bolts, install/replace and your done.

e-checking is a real pet pieve of mine and I don't mind going out of my way to do what I want to my car. Luckily this 02 camaro is the only car I have that would be affected anyway,,,since most of the stuff I own is from the 60's and early 70's, and most states don't bother with stuff over 25 years old

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

No pussies here (cats) lol i run pacesetter LTs with full 3" true dual X pipe mandrel bent into twin 18" billets and out the rear and i love em so glad i went with what i did and you dont need to worry about the sniffer for emissions if you car is 2000+ i think it is cuz after that date its OBD II and all it is is a ECU plug in, which as long as your not throwing an SES light or havent thrown one in the past week your good 2 go and then a visual inspection which you may need a "friend" to over look that....

But i've had no problems with it and makes good power...Or you can get the cats from catco the hi flow ones and put thoes on which are a direct fit bolt in (correct me if i am mistaken) or just gut yours...

Do what suits you best and your driving capibilites dont go solely for power cuz if it's too loud and aggrivates everyone or the po po or a pain in the ass to get it inspected, that aint worth a few extra ponies if thats not ur perogitive!!!

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

for you people who live in OBDII test only emissions...simple fix. Put a hollowed out or high flow cat AFTER your ORY. simple, easy, and "legal"

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

for you people who live in OBDII test only emissions...simple fix. Put a hollowed out or high flow cat AFTER your ORY. simple, easy, and "legal"
    or you can do it the simple like he said lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information