Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How many of you run cats?

This is a discussion on How many of you run cats? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by ATCharming hmm.. even my shop teacher told me that removing cats wouldnt increase power, but it could ...

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    hmm.. even my shop teacher told me that removing cats wouldnt increase power, but it could even decrease it due to lack of backpressure.

i asked him about doing it to my lumina just for fun (no flaming please lol) and he told me it was a bad idea....
    I gutted my cats just recently, and noticed a difference in the LTFT's instantly, the car was adding a tad more fuel so I had to adjust.
    What I am saying is, it free'd up the exhaust system to the point where the engine now wanted more fuel, thats a good thing.
    If you take a cat converter and look inside, it's packed full of a honey comb mesh with very very small openings and does nothing for HP. Think of it as breathing,,,pull your shirt over your mouth and try to breath, then remove the shirt and feel the difference. Poor example but you get the idea.
    Anyone serious about making high HP with their cars will remove these, they are a bottle neck in the system.
    On a stockish car you may not see so much gain (mine is stock but I have future plans) but if you plan to make a fast street car and make big HP numbers,,,removing the cats makes it that much easier. Larry.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I gutted my cats just recently, and noticed a difference in the LTFT's instantly, the car was adding a tad more fuel so I had to adjust.
    What I am saying is, it free'd up the exhaust system to the point where the engine now wanted more fuel, thats a good thing.
    If you take a cat converter and look inside, it's packed full of a honey comb mesh with very very small openings and does nothing for HP. Think of it as breathing,,,pull your shirt over your mouth and try to breath, then remove the shirt and feel the difference. Poor example but you get the idea.
    Anyone serious about making high HP with their cars will remove these, they are a bottle neck in the system.
    On a stockish car you may not see so much gain (mine is stock but I have future plans) but if you plan to make a fast street car and make big HP numbers,,,removing the cats makes it that much easier. Larry.
    i see... thanks for the explanation. so removing them would only increase overall performance?

oh, sooo, it would sacrifice gas mileage since the engine wants more fuel? or would it increase gas mileage due to improved efficency? or no change?

I noticed no change in mileage after I gutted them, just noticed the computer was trying to add a little more fuel to stay at commanded A/F ratio, but mileage didn't change.
    I added a little fuel in the tune so the computer didn't have to compensate so much, but again, no change in mileage.
    This is only temporary and more of an experiment on my part just to see if it had any affect on sound, perfomance etc....my intention is to install long tube headers with an off road Y-pipe anyway, and I thought I would play a little until that happens.

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    I don't.

I'm a smog tech.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    be careful man, BAR will throw your ass in jail

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Im in southern CA, so im screwed. We got visual, and then sniffers on a dyno. They are trying to make it so that if you have modified any of the emissions systems, that they can impound your car. Not sure if that is in effect yet or not. Simply, everything I buy for my car has to pretty much be "C.A.R.B." legal. Thats just so that it will pass the visual inspections, then I have to worry about whether or not it will pass CA's strict sniffer/dyno testing.

Silver
    Formula 1998 Manual

No fuckin' emission tests or even inspections down here in Canada, Qc . . . FTW here for that at least

phantom grey
    1999 z-28

maricopa county, buckeye

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

cats here ....no testing where I live

Red
    1999 Trans Am

If I do remove my cats, would I still need to weld bungs in the straight pipe to put the O2 sensors into the uncleaned exhaust or would I leave the sensors out completely. Also where can I get O2 simulators?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Also I was told that removing my cats would make my car louder, is this true? I have a magnaflow catback, sounds awsome but quiet. :-(

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bill8706 View Post
    Also I was told that removing my cats would make my car louder, is this true? I have a magnaflow catback, sounds awsome but quiet. :-(
    louder yes

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bill8706 View Post
    If I do remove my cats, would I still need to weld bungs in the straight pipe to put the O2 sensors into the uncleaned exhaust or would I leave the sensors out completely. Also where can I get O2 simulators?
    You want to keep the rear O2 sensors in place if possible.

You can get O2 "simulators" from eBay, they are basically spark plug non-foulers that you screw into the bung, and then screw the O2 senor into that. It situates the sensor far enough from the exhaust that it doesn't pick up the extra emmissions, but close enough that it won't throw a code not sensing any exhaust gases.

Or you could just have a tuner delete the rear O2's when you get a custom tune. Thats the preferred option

Black
    2002 T/A WS6

havent dont it yet on my t/a but i gut all cats on everything i buy.... after time they will clog up and start causing your engine to work harder over time this gets worse and you will eventually see a decrease in hp and mpg...... you might see this on the first ls1's now since its been almost 10 years but more likely with lt1s and older vehicles

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by trent_s View Post
    Move to Illinois....except Chicago.
    i pass emissions and have no cats. im in chicago
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Quote Originally Posted by Black02TA View Post
    havent dont it yet on my t/a but i gut all cats on everything i buy.... after time they will clog up and start causing your engine to work harder over time this gets worse and you will eventually see a decrease in hp and mpg...... you might see this on the first ls1's now since its been almost 10 years but more likely with lt1s and older vehicles
    They go bad even sooner than that sometimes. My 02 SS had both cats replaced under warranty,,,first one with 30,000 miles and the second one went bad at 52,000 miles. Now they both sit on the shelf and I installed another pair that are gutted, I didn't want to gut a pair of practically brand new ones

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

i have dogs instead of cats....

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    i have dogs instead of cats....

A4|Lid|Catback|Free Mods|Pacesetter LT's|Tune|12.78@109

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

dam it does any1 have emmissions this sucks for me too live in western pa

Nope never had to. But I pick and choose where we move to and make sure a particular county has e-check or not.
    10 years ago Ohio was going to implement e-check in Clermont county so we packed up and moved over another county to avoid it. Been here ever since.

Now my wife and I want to move back west to Arizona,,,been doing my homework out there as well, since Maricopa and Pima counties both have e check we are avoiding Phoenix/Tuscon like the plague and looking at houses up in Prescott which is Yavapai county,,,no e-check up there

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nope never had to. But I pick and choose where we move to and make sure a particular county has e-check or not.
    10 years ago Ohio was going to implement e-check in Clermont county so we packed up and moved over another county to avoid it. Been here ever since.

Now my wife and I want to move back west to Arizona,,,been doing my homework out there as well, since Maricopa and Pima counties both have e check we are avoiding Phoenix/Tuscon like the plague and looking at houses up in Prescott which is Yavapai county,,,no e-check up there
    What is e-check?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information