Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

How fast does a 6sp/ls1 go

This is a discussion on How fast does a 6sp/ls1 go within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; hell im only 19 and thats way to damn fast for me i stick with the runs up to 130 ...

  1. #21
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    hell im only 19 and thats way to damn fast for me i stick with the runs up to 130 thats more than fast enough for me

  2. #22
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    I'm not interested in taking it to top speed really, I just want to know the HP requirements to make 6th a useable gear for top end. If it hits the rev limiter at 163-ish in 5th, what would it take to pull more mph in 6th? I know that the gearing is theoretically capable of over 200 mph, but at what HP would 6th be able to increase MPH over what you reached in 5th.

  3. #23
    Member nichoLaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    330

    Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    Some of you guys are nuts, I raced a new Camaro to 140 and was pretty nervous. Any little thing happens your fucked. Car moves over a lane, deer, who knows. Even though it was late on a highway and traffic was light. Maybe I'm just getting old.
    Just outta curiousity who won? but yeah 140 is fast on the street, I dont care who you are or how old you are lol, especially when youre adreneline is pumping from racing

  4. #24
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I'm not interested in taking it to top speed really, I just want to know the HP requirements to make 6th a useable gear for top end. If it hits the rev limiter at 163-ish in 5th, what would it take to pull more mph in 6th? I know that the gearing is theoretically capable of over 200 mph, but at what HP would 6th be able to increase MPH over what you reached in 5th.
    probably like 430ish at the wheels im thinking

  5. #25
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    Some of you guys are nuts, I raced a new Camaro to 140 and was pretty nervous. Any little thing happens your fucked. Car moves over a lane, deer, who knows. Even though it was late on a highway and traffic was light. Maybe I'm just getting old.

    I agree. Took ours to 130 once -- that was way fast enough.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    i took mine to 155 on the typical bolt ons and minor suspension work. Let me tell you though it was very dangerous because it was before i got my rear shocks, and it was on sportlines. Very very soft suspension, lol it was fun though.

  7. #27
    Senior Member REVNORR82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NEW ALBANY
    Posts
    1,462

    silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

    I got to 130 and thats when i realized the summotos should not go their scared the hell out of me!!!

  8. #28
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    probably like 430ish at the wheels im thinking
    WAY more than that.


    The amount of drag a car has at 160MPH is incredible. Takes a TON of power with that small of a gear (6th) to keep pulling.
    A stock one won't make it to the top of 5th. 187MPH at 6200RPM
    Top of 6th would be 277MPH stock....

  9. #29
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    Some of you guys are nuts, I raced a new Camaro to 140 and was pretty nervous. Any little thing happens your fucked. Car moves over a lane, deer, who knows. Even though it was late on a highway and traffic was light. Maybe I'm just getting old.
    I did it once, and I will NEVER do it again. I'll admit I was scared shitless. You have to realize @ 186mph you're doing 253 feet per SECOND (almost a football field per second). I was trying to hit 190, but the car just wouldn't go any faster, so I gave up. I knew the risks of going that fast, and I was willing to take them in order to have the bragging rights. Now that I have them, I almost never go over 100 unless I'm racing someone.

    We did this at 3am on a Sunday...there were no other cars on the road, and if I had seen a cop, I doubt he would have seen me, much less thought about chasing me.

  10. #30
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    WAY more than that.


    The amount of drag a car has at 160MPH is incredible. Takes a TON of power with that small of a gear (6th) to keep pulling.
    A stock one won't make it to the top of 5th. 187MPH at 6200RPM
    Top of 6th would be 277MPH stock....
    some mofo told me he hit 162mph with ease in a mostly stock vette (ls1) in 5th gear.....they cut threw the wind better BUT i didnt believe it that MUCH of a diff like he was saying sooooo idk

  11. #31
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    WAY more than that.


    The amount of drag a car has at 160MPH is incredible. Takes a TON of power with that small of a gear (6th) to keep pulling.
    A stock one won't make it to the top of 5th. 187MPH at 6200RPM
    Top of 6th would be 277MPH stock....
    ya i figured that. I was just being an idiot. 277mph is pretty fast if you ask me

  12. #32
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    WAY more than that.


    The amount of drag a car has at 160MPH is incredible. Takes a TON of power with that small of a gear (6th) to keep pulling.
    A stock one won't make it to the top of 5th. 187MPH at 6200RPM
    Top of 6th would be 277MPH stock....

    Okay, I'm with you there. Still, if 186 was reached at the limiter in 5th, AND you had the power to shift to 6th and INCREASE your speed (even by one mph) how much rwhp would it take? I'm not talking about redlining in 6th, just increasing speed in sixth that was not possible in fifth.

    450-475 rwhp? I mean the newer Z06 hits 199 with 505 crank HP so that's about 420 rwhp or so. Granted, it's lighter, better aerodynamics, but still there has to be a point where 6th will accelerate to top speed for an f-body.
    Last edited by jad628; 10-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.

  13. #33
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    A lot of it has to do with gearbox.
    .5 gear (like our 6th) isn't meant to gain speed...just maintain it.
    I imagine mine would probably pull a bit after the top of 5th...but I have 4.11's.

    I am guessing it would take 550+ at the wheels. Probably more. Hard to pull forward at 185MPH....basically trying to pull through a wall.


    Dom....C5 shouldn't have a problem.

  14. #34
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

    Dom....C5 shouldn't have a problem.
    cool cool.....i was trying to explain to him, in a fbody its not that EZ and kept saying its all the same and whatnot

    and he was also saying 6500+rpms is safe for a stock ls1....witch i also disagree BUT thats just my .02

  15. #35
    Member blackbird0230's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    828

    Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

    Not trying to be a know it all by any means but they said on top gear (the bugatti episode) that to get to 100mph it only takes about 200hp or so, and that for the car to get to top speed *250 mph from there requires an extra 700 or so hp. Of course, that's the bugatti but I found it quite interesting.

  16. #36
    Member BrntWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Land of the FOID
    Posts
    330

    SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

    Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Just outta curiousity who won? but yeah 140 is fast on the street, I dont care who you are or how old you are lol, especially when youre adreneline is pumping from racing

    We raced from a 70 roll and I had to shift into 3rd. Much to my surprise he was able to hit 2nd so he instantly put 1.5 - 2 cars on me. I was reeling him in slowly but I couldn't get around him before we shut down.

    Both M6 cars (obviously), he had a cold air intake I have full exhaust, lid, TB. He's a buddy so next time we'll go from a 60 roll.

  17. #37
    Member BrntWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Land of the FOID
    Posts
    330

    SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I did it once, and I will NEVER do it again. I'll admit I was scared shitless. You have to realize @ 186mph you're doing 253 feet per SECOND (almost a football field per second). I was trying to hit 190, but the car just wouldn't go any faster, so I gave up. I knew the risks of going that fast, and I was willing to take them in order to have the bragging rights. Now that I have them, I almost never go over 100 unless I'm racing someone.

    We did this at 3am on a Sunday...there were no other cars on the road, and if I had seen a cop, I doubt he would have seen me, much less thought about chasing me.
    This made me laugh, sig worthy.

    Cop wouldn't have been able to chase you because he would have choked on his donut and died when his radar read 186mph...LOL

  18. #38
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    52MPH in 1st at 6200RPM on a stock size tire.

    www.f-body.org/gears
    Assuming every calculation is perfect, yes.

    I did a little test today, my rev limiter is set to stock, 6200 I believe. In first gear, I was bumping into the limiter at 49-50 MPH. In 2nd gear, it was hitting it at 73-74 MPH. I know my speedo is accurate to +/- 1 MPH by timing it at 60 MPH (takes 1 minute at 60 indicated, to go 1 mile, assuming the highway markers are accurate), and the GPS agrees.

    Didn't want to try 3rd or 4th, but I am thinking those calculations are optimistic a bit also. Tire sizes will always be a variable, not all 275 40 17s have identical installed heights. Even as tires wear their diameter gets smaller, so maybe that's why I wasn't getting over 50 in first, my tires are nearly worn out.

    My Snap-on scanner was showing 6100-6300 RPM, it does not have a good resolution at those RPMs like it does below ~3000.

  19. #39
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    My Snap-on scanner was showing 6100-6300 RPM, it does not have a good resolution at those RPMs like it does below ~3000.[/QUOTE]

    ^^^^should have gotten a MATCO scanner..lol

  20. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    63

    Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    Not trying to be a know it all by any means but they said on top gear (the bugatti episode) that to get to 100mph it only takes about 200hp or so, and that for the car to get to top speed *250 mph from there requires an extra 700 or so hp. Of course, that's the bugatti but I found it quite interesting.
    I too saw that episode. If true, that's insane.

    Love that show and have pretty much every single episode on my media pc hooked to my 52" LED tv for some top gear goodness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FAST 90 on LS2
    By Mr. Luos in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
  2. 150 mph is a lil fast
    By SycoJoe69 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
  3. Ls1 Go Fast Parts*.Needs to go Fast!!
    By king_speed in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
  4. check out this fast ass supra!!! then a crazy fast honda...
    By got-a-ls1 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •