Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How do I remove bulbs from dash panel?

This is a discussion on How do I remove bulbs from dash panel? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; PS, I knew I was'nt going crazy and the dash lamps mentioned were LED's not incondesant lamps.....

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

PS, I knew I was'nt going crazy and the dash lamps mentioned were LED's not incondesant lamps..

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Thanks Smittro, I will do just that. Appreciate it man.

Red

I remember you saying they were LED's, but somewhere along the way someone else chimed in and said they weren't, or this one was, the other one wasn't...ladedadeda. Anyway, I appreciate all your help man, thanks!!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

No prob..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    PS, I knew I was'nt going crazy and the dash lamps mentioned were LED's not incondesant lamps..
    <----- Owns a 93....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    <----- Owns a 93....
    <----Owns an 01..

Red

Man, sure is nice not having those lights on in the dash. They have been on since I bought the car a year ago and I finally got tired of them. Once again, I really appreciate all the pics and details on this thread. It's almost like driving a different car not having those LED's staring me in the face every time I get in the car...Now I wonder if everything is allright because they're off!!!! Just kidding. Cool thing is, now I have three extra LED's just in case others need replacement. Thanks guys!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Man, sure is nice not having those lights on in the dash. They have been on since I bought the car a year ago and I finally got tired of them. Once again, I really appreciate all the pics and details on this thread. It's almost like driving a different car not having those LED's staring me in the face every time I get in the car...Now I wonder if everything is allright because they're off!!!! Just kidding. Cool thing is, now I have three extra LED's just in case others need replacement. Thanks guys!
    No prob.. Now just remember LEDs' are polaric +/- Meaning; hook them up one way they light up. But hook them up another they wont..

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    No prob.. Now just remember LEDs' are polaric +/- Meaning; hook them up one way they light up. But hook them up another they wont..
    Are the LED's labeled in any way to discern which way they should be hooked up?

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

pic of said LED?

Red

I don't have a very good camera obviously. The automatic focus didn't work very well. The LED can fit inside your pinky nail with a little room to spare. If you can't see it, there are two leads that come off the bottom of the LED, the rest of the LED is glass.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

There's a trick to close ups with just about any camera. Look for a little flower icon. somewhere on the camera or options on the swivel bar. Depends what you have. That'll tell it your taking a close up and it will focus. My wife does this all the time.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

the leads should have different sized "Shoulders"... the long one is the cathode, should be connected to ground, and the other, the anode, to positive.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Are the LED's labeled in any way to discern which way they should be hooked up?
    the leads should have different sized "Shoulders"... the long one is the cathode, should be connected to ground, and the other, the anode, to positive.
    Not all of them are made that way, but usually (new) one pin is longer than the other, and some companies actually mark the on side with red coloring for the hot/+ side. Yet others do as FRE described. But if there's nothing marking it you can do a DC ohms test to give you the LED polls. Then you can mark the + side of the LED..
    You'll get a high reading when you have it the right way and a very low if any (depends on type of meter) the other way only mark the (+) under a high reading..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-28-2009 at 07:08 AM.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    There's a trick to close ups with just about any camera. Look for a little flower icon. somewhere on the camera or options on the swivel bar. Depends what you have. That'll tell it your taking a close up and it will focus. My wife does this all the time.
    I have a Canon Powershot A530 and I pushed the flower icon MF, and it looked like it was trying to focus but never did. When I took a pic of the LED, I thought I was going to have to get out the professional camera with the manual focus, but don't know if we have a download cable that will load pics into a computer.... anyway, I appreciate the info on the polarity. I have a digital multimeter I can use to identify the anode and cathode. Just a quick question....is the anode the lead with the larger piece of metal inside the LED? without pulling the multimeter out?

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

The forward voltage drop of an LED is damn near impossable with a DVOM, to be quite certain, you'd need an oscilloscope.... get a better pic of your led.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

if it is one of those flat soldered in LEDS....just put some dark fingernail polish over it or something....maybe some electrical tape

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Man, I did it, I took the cluster in the house, hooked up my soldering iron, and used my spring loaded sucker tool to suck the liquid solder away, then gently pulled the LED out after gently bending the LED prongs back to straight. I took out the ABS inop, TCS off, and BRAKE LED's out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    if it is one of those flat soldered in LEDS....just put some dark fingernail polish over it or something....maybe some electrical tape

Better pics of the led's yet, herc?

Red

Better pics of the led's yet, herc?
    No, FRE, not yet, I don't have the expertise to figure out the camera...ya have to be smarter than the piece of equipment you are using....guess I fall short in that area!!!!hahaha. The LED is unlike any you would buy, at least of the ones I've seen on different websites. They have prongs sticking out of the bottom of the LED, anode and cathode leads and the rest of the LED is glass shaped like the outline of an arched doorway and you can see the internals of the LED. I'll try to look online for a better pic than what I've posted...

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I've already extracted the LED from the printed circuit board as shared in the previous portion of this thread. At this point, we are simply trying to get a discernable pic of said LED.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information