Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Horrible gas mileage/brakes squill hardcore

This is a discussion on Horrible gas mileage/brakes squill hardcore within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 I have never used ceramic pads before, so I'm not even sure if you need to ...

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have never used ceramic pads before, so I'm not even sure if you need to bed them. Bedding the pads involves a series of starts and stops where you get up to around 20-25 mph and then bring the car to a stop with a semi-firm pedal. You do this anywhere from 10-20 times and it heats the pads. This process, known as "bedding" acts to season the pads and helps them last longer.

If you have some free time on your hands, it may not be a bad idea to lube your caliper pins. It's a simple process and is cheap insurance considering the cost of brakes and rotors. Here's what you do:

1. Put the car up one end at a time and remove the wheel you want to work on first.

2. Grab a coathanger and cut it to fashion a short hook that is several inches long. This will give you something to hang the calipers from when they are removed from the bracket. You never want to let them hang by the hose.

3. Unbolt your caliper using a socket and a wrench on the flat part of the pin to keep it from turning.

4. After the caliper is removed, pop the rubber dust boot off of the bracket as you slide the pin out of its hole. If the pins are seized, you will need to also remove the bracket to work on them. The worst one I had was on the front of our T/A -- I had to turn the pin with a wrench as I heated the body of the casting with a propane torch.

5. Once the pins are pulled, clean as much gunk as you can out of the holes and also clean the pins and boots. If they are bad, you can run them on a wire wheel or polish them with emory cloth. I flush the holes out with brake clean and twist the corner of a shop rag down the bores. I then blow them out with compressed air to remove any remaining debris.

6. Liberally coat each pin with synthetic caliper grease. The grease will want to push out as you insert the pin, so I always slide it in and out a few times and add some grease. When it is fully lubed it will almost have a vacuum effect and hold the pin in as you try to pull it out. Don't forget to reinstall the boot before inserting the pin and make sure it fully seats to form a good seal.

7. Reinstall you caliper and wheel (bracket first if you had to remove it) and then go on to the next wheel.

Unless you experience problems, the whole job should only take about an hour. Again, it is cheap insurance and our cars are known for seizing the pins if not properly maintained.
    alright sounds easy enough, and ive just been waitin on some decent weather so i can get back to tinkerin with her. I got few cans of 3M brake cleaner and some caliper paint as well so this will be a nice project

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Front o2s and rear o2, cat prolly should have been replaced 60k ago mine took a dump @ 76-78k-ish High mileage can also cause reduced fuel mpg's. Get the RP oil out of it and use the K&N to hold down your trash can liner. Have the tranny reprogrammed for firmer shifts. What do you mean "you dont rod on it cuz it's a v6???" If you just put around all the time that's not good for her either. I don't beat on mine either but I put her to the floor to blow out the carbon build up on the valves. Won't hurt to feed some speed into her once in a while. (Smittro does'nt condone street racing) But the interstate is a good place to get her up to a speed you're comfortable with and sustain it for a while.. But to be totally honest with you she's just wearing out and getting tired bro..
    alright then, and when i said i dont rod her around im sayin im not one of those people that peels out of the sonic parking lot cause a mustang pulled in or somethin like that but on the highway ill give the old girl everything she can handle when its open road and after every new upgrade or basic fix i test it out see what the difference is so the valves are free of carbon trust me : )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information