Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Hood Question

This is a discussion on Hood Question within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Has anyone here with a fiberglass hood ever had the screws fall out?...

  1. #1
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Hood Question

    Has anyone here with a fiberglass hood ever had the screws fall out?

  2. #2
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Guess not

  3. #3
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Wait a minute. What screws fell out...for the hinges?

  4. #4
    Buried in Smoke black crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NE TX
    Age
    48
    Posts
    67

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

    I have not had any bolts come loose or fall out of my fiberglass hood since I bought it. I was worried about it though, so I used some red loctite threadlocker on the striker catch, because if it came loose or the bolts fell out of it while you were driving, well, bye-bye hood. I bought my hood from Suncoast Creations and one of their selling points was that they used metal backing plates at all attachment points so you were bolting into metal and not just fiberglass. You would think all fiberglass hoods have metal backing plates, I am not sure.

  5. #5
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Wait a minute. What screws fell out...for the hinges?
    Yeah...the screws in the hinges, in the back...not for the hood latch, came out and the screws are coming out of the rt side support strut. The shop initially said there's nothing they can do about it, but now they want to use a prop rod....
    Last edited by Mieux97; 07-13-2009 at 11:49 AM.

  6. #6
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    I have not had any bolts come loose or fall out of my fiberglass hood since I bought it. I was worried about it though, so I used some red loctite threadlocker on the striker catch, because if it came loose or the bolts fell out of it while you were driving, well, bye-bye hood. I bought my hood from Suncoast Creations and one of their selling points was that they used metal backing plates at all attachment points so you were bolting into metal and not just fiberglass. You would think all fiberglass hoods have metal backing plates, I am not sure.
    The shop didn't use metal backing plates...in fact...none came with the hood and they suggested using them. They bolted directly into the fiberglass and the screws and the striker catch came out. Shit....that was embarrasing!! They came out while I was at AutoZone putting fluid into the radiator while some chicks were watching....I have NEVER seen a hood go sideways...til then.

  7. #7
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    You car was jealous and wanted to teach you a lesson for looking at other hotties.

  8. #8
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    Next time just tell her, It transforms...

  9. #9
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Ouch!! Can you use longer bolts and use nuts and washers in the back of where the hinges and hood meet?

  10. #10
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Suncoast ws6 hood here. The captured nuts are held in with a bondo like substance. Broke one off on the sticker.Just put a nut behind it. Works good so far.

  11. #11
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You car was jealous and wanted to teach you a lesson for looking at other hotties.
    Damn!! I knew it

  12. #12
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Next time just tell her, It transforms...
    ...into a bed

  13. #13
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Ouch!! Can you use longer bolts and use nuts and washers in the back of where the hinges and hood meet?
    Wouldn't the nuts and washers have to fit in the holes where the screws went? Also, wouldn't the nuts/washer have to be larger in order to hold in place?

  14. #14
    Member waldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    617

    Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

    never had this happen.

  15. #15
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    Wouldn't the nuts and washers have to fit in the holes where the screws went? Also, wouldn't the nuts/washer have to be larger in order to hold in place?
    Get some larger hardware and fiberglass it all in with support plates. Smooth/paint.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Age
    33
    Posts
    402

    NBM
    99 TA

    I also have a suncoast hood since 01...never had a problem with the screws coming out...didnt use locktite either.

  17. #17
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    I also have a suncoast hood since 01...never had a problem with the screws coming out...didnt use locktite either.
    I didnt order from suncoast

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Age
    33
    Posts
    402

    NBM
    99 TA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    I didnt order from suncoast
    oh...well I can only speak for them...but I also haven't ever heard of those hinge bolts coming out like that on a fiberglass hood...good luck trying to get that fixed

  19. #19
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Get some larger hardware and fiberglass it all in with support plates. Smooth/paint.
    ^^

  20. #20
    Member Mieux97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    614

    White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Get some larger hardware and fiberglass it all in with support plates. Smooth/paint.
    may cost a pretty good penny...may have to get a new hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. question about ws6 hood
    By NE98LS1 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
  2. Hood question
    By Turner8396 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 04:21 PM
  3. Hood Question
    By eb52hill in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 05:40 AM
  4. Ram air hood question
    By blue02Z in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 09:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •