Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

history of the ws6 question

This is a discussion on history of the ws6 question within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was just curious about something and thought maybe someone here can help me out. I know that since about ...

  1. #1
    Member ls1ws6ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    west monroe, la
    Posts
    246

    white
    1998 Trans Am

    history of the ws6 question

    I was just curious about something and thought maybe someone here can help me out. I know that since about the mid 90s or so it started being popular to " brand" a ws6 as a ws6. If that makes any sense. I know what I'm trying to say, sometimes it doesn't come out right.. anyway, ws6 being a performance package, how long has that rpo code been around? I'm just curious as to the history of the infamous ws6 package. Hopefully my question makes sense and someone can help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    the ws6 package debuted in the mid to late 70's but people didnt really start calling them 'ws6s' until the 90's

  3. #3
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    The WS6 RPO has been around since 1978 and has always primarily been a suspension option. The `78 Cars recieved stiffer springs bigger swaybars and harder bushings and a quicker steering ratio along with the 8" Snowflake wheels. In 1979 4 wheel disc brakes became part of the Pkg. By 1984 the Pkg included the first 16" wheel on an F-body (15th Anni T/A) and became Std on all 3rd gen Firebird Formula's which returned to the line up in 1987.

    The RPO was ressurected in 1996 along with the famed Ram Air of Pontiac's past and was named accordingly for the first time.
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 04-24-2010 at 10:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    The WS6 RPO has been around since 1978 and has always primarily been a suspension option. The `78 Cars recieved stiffer springs bigger swaybars and harder bushings and a quicker steering ratio along with the 8" Snowflake wheels. In 1979 4 wheel disc brakes became part of the Pkg. By 1984 the Pkg included the first 16" wheel on an F-body (15th Anni T/A) and became Std on all 3rd gen Firebird Formula's which returned to the line up in 1987.

    The RPO was ressurected in 1996 along with the famed Ram Air of Pontiac's past and was named accordingly for the first time.
    So my 1989 Formula is a WS.6?

  5. #5
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    IIRC, the WS6 option was an RPO code available in the 1st gen Firebird as a handling (bigger rims/tires, sway bars and better shocks) and brake package (front disc brakes). There was no exterior badging stating this though.

  6. #6
    Member ls1ws6ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    west monroe, la
    Posts
    246

    white
    1998 Trans Am

    Thanks for that information guys. Yet another reason I love this site. Not sure about something just and there is always someone on here that does. I love having info like that. Never know when you can use that. Just like a post I read earlier when a ricer tried to tell a firehawk owner there was no such thing as a firehawk! LOL. That ricer should visit this site and learn a few things before making an ignorant comment like that.....thanks again for that info

  7. #7
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    IIRC, the WS6 option was an RPO code available in the 1st gen Firebird as a handling (bigger rims/tires, sway bars and better shocks) and brake package (front disc brakes). There was no exterior badging stating this though.
    did not know this, thanks for the correction

  8. #8
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    IIRC, the WS6 option was an RPO code available in the 1st gen Firebird as a handling (bigger rims/tires, sway bars and better shocks) and brake package (front disc brakes). There was no exterior badging stating this though.
    1978 was the debut year for the WS6 RPO, anything prior to that would be classified differently.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  9. #9
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    1978 was the debut year for the WS6 RPO, anything prior to that would be classified differently.
    this is what i thought and couldnt find anything on google so about anything previous so.....

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NEW JERSEY
    Posts
    814

    PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    So my 1989 Formula is a WS.6?

    YES and so was mine

  11. #11
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    So my 1989 Formula is a WS.6?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    YES and so was mine
    Technically Yes but refering to them (3rd gen Formula) as a WS6 Formula is pointless since if the car didn't have the option it wouldn't be a Formula.
    Although the WS6 suspension was optional on the Trans Am and also Std on the GTA.

  12. #12
    Last of the Breed j nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Posts
    402

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

    Great info

    I was wondering about the WS.6 story. Now I know. What does M6 and A4 stand for, for our cars?

  13. #13
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    M6 = manual transmission, 6 speed
    A4 = automatic transmission, 4 speed

  14. #14
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    J Nix
    Here are some other common abbreviation used on here to:

    PTB - Ported Throttlebody
    SFC - Sub Frame Connectors
    P&P - Ported and Polished
    LT - Long Tube Headers
    H/C/I - Heads Cam Intake
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 09-07-2010 at 10:18 AM.

  15. #15
    Last of the Breed j nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Posts
    402

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

    Thanks

    Thanks guys. Very helpful. I will learn alot here. I have been looking for a good Forum. I had a hard time getting good answers from any one. Once I got on here, I get multiple answers with great options. Thanks again.

  16. #16
    Army of 1 wooddaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alachua, Fl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,733

    Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Technically Yes but refering to them (3rd gen Formula) as a WS6 Formula is pointless since if the car didn't have the option it wouldn't be a Formula.
    Although the WS6 suspension was optional on the Trans Am and also Std on the GTA.
    I did not know this. GTA's win.

  17. #17
    Member krese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brewerton, New York
    Age
    42
    Posts
    544

    silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I did not know this. GTA's win.
    GTAs were nice looking but formula 350s were generally faster due to a lot less weight. i know, i had a formy 350 and took out a few GTAs back in the day (1994ish)... formula 350 was a wolf in sheep's clothing

    i always thought it was dumb that GTAs came with the 305 as an option. although the 89+ 305 5speed was the only thing that gave me issues off the line... i always had issues jumping on this one dude's 89 (i think) IROCZ 5speed 305.... pissed me off.
    Last edited by krese; 09-07-2010 at 05:03 PM.

  18. #18
    Army of 1 wooddaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alachua, Fl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,733

    Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

    Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    GTAs were nice looking but formula 350s were generally faster due to a lot less weight. i know, i had a formy 350 and took out a few GTAs back in the day (1994ish)... formula 350 was a wolf in sheep's clothing

    i always thought it was dumb that GTAs came with the 305 as an option. although the 89+ 305 5speed was the only thing that gave me issues off the line... i always had issues jumping on this one dude's 89 (i think) IROCZ 5speed 305.... pissed me off.
    I had a 92 GTA 5.7. Had no trouble whooping on stock 5.0s most the time. If only they had offered the 350 with a 5 speed.

  19. #19
    Member krese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brewerton, New York
    Age
    42
    Posts
    544

    silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I had a 92 GTA 5.7. Had no trouble whooping on stock 5.0s most the time. If only they had offered the 350 with a 5 speed.
    yeah well, that 92 was no joke. you were king till the lt1s were abundant. i bet you miss that baby. 92 GTAs were rare.. well, around here anyway...

  20. #20
    Army of 1 wooddaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alachua, Fl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,733

    Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

    Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    yeah well, that 92 was no joke. you were king till the lt1s were abundant. i bet you miss that baby. 92 GTAs were rare.. well, around here anyway...
    I regret getting rid of it every time I see one. It was the Forest green color with the Taupe interior. Great looking color combo. Fewer and fewer of them(3rd Gens) out there. By far my favorite body style, the 4th gens are just better built and easier to make fast without swapping motors and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Membership History
    By BadTA00 in forum Request and Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM
  2. History question
    By Mike0202 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 05:29 AM
  3. History Question
    By ls1transam312 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
  4. The history of ls1.com
    By JoshieDoom in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 05:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •