Hesitation from a stop

This is a discussion on Hesitation from a stop within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 98 trans am. Yesterday I installed a new ported and polished weiand ls6 intake with a 85mm ...

Black
    1998 Trans AM

Hesitation from a stop

I have a 98 trans am. Yesterday I installed a new ported and polished weiand ls6 intake with a 85mm inlet and a nitrous express 85mm throttle body. When it's cold it runs about 700 to 900 rpm an at operating temp about 1000 or 1100 rpm. From a stop if I press lightly on the gas it will hesitate for not even a second then go. Can anyone help me out. The idol is to high too

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Sounds like you need a tune unless you've had one since installing your mods - you didn't mention one so I'm assuming not. You could also try cleaning the MAF as a first quick approach, but I'm gonna lean more towards the tune. You're bringing more air into the car which changes the A/F tables and the car's computer is still thinking it's running on the stock ones.

Black
    1998 Trans AM

cool. i think a tune will do the job.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

I'd have to agree with Knight. You made some significant airflow changes. The computer may not know what to do with them.

It's also possible that when you were changing parts, something got banged around. You may want to have a good look at (and/or change) your TPS and IAC. The IAC gets nasty, so in moving it, it may have gotten unhappy.

I took the IAC out of my car about a month ago, and screwed it up putting it back in. Now sometimes it idles at 1500 RPM for about 15 seconds, and then backs itself down to normal. Sometimes from normal idle, it drops too much and stalls.

The only things I did that day were clean the IAC and MAF. I put the IAC in upside down (swapped bolt holes), because it was dark and I was tired, and I forgot rule #1, don't force anything. Now it sits loose in its bracket, so I'm sure it's broken.

TPS is a likely candidate for the car not understanding that you just moved the throttle, which could contribute to the hesitation.

After the tune, and you check out the IAC and TPS, if it still does it, something may not have been put in quite right, like a gasket wasn't quite in place, or something wasn't tightened all the way.

... and always remember, these are diagnosis without seeing the vehicle, so we could all be completely wrong.

Good luck.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    I'd have to agree with Knight. You made some significant airflow changes. The computer may not know what to do with them.

This.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    This.
    Them. Multiple places with airflow changes. I wasn't aggregating airflow changes into a single item, although I could see the assumption.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would say a good tune will fix it 99% of the time but if not it'll at least tell you where there maybe a issue
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

never rule out a vaccum leak, there sometimes tricky and do goofy things.
    ..but i also agree with the rest of you.

Thread Information