Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Angry Help! What is rattling?!?!

Here's what's happening... when I accelerate I hear a rattle (not everytime, only about 3 times per week), sounds almost like a tin can dragging. I have even gotten out and looked under the car just to make sure. Nothing there. I have had the muffler(s) checked, new cats, tune-up, all 02 sensors replaced, new brakes-discs and rtrs. Nothing shows up as wrong on the dealership computer and no probs. with the temp. and it's shifting fine (automatic). Nothing is loose underneath either. WTF is it??

Also, does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Memphis/North MS area? I need to have some a/c work done and do not want to get ripped. I need a condenser and dryer replaced and was just told there is a little rust in the radiator. Thanks!

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

do you lt's if so it might be them hitting

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Is ur exhaust modified? Maybe the y-pipe is lose.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

The exaust is stock. Could that still be a problem? Thanks!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    do you lt's if so it might be them hitting
    ???

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BdAsBrd01 View Post
    ???
    just incase the ??? was you not understanding what was said he means do you have long tube headers? which you already said your exhaust is stock so dont worry about it I had that problem with my headers. I suppose the manafolds could be rattling though.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    just incase the ??? was you not understanding what was said he means do you have long tube headers? which you already said your exhaust is stock so dont worry about it I had that problem with my headers. I suppose the manafolds could be rattling though.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Wasn't sure what he meant.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Theres a real good chance this isn't it, but you might check your passenger seat springs.....I know it sounds crazy, but a few months back I heard a sound that I could swear was something metal dragging under the car and then I put my hand over on the passenger seat and it stopped. They made a rattling sound like something dragging under the car when they would vibrate.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Theres a real good chance this isn't it, but you might check your passenger seat springs.....I know it sounds crazy, but a few months back I heard a sound that I could swear was something metal dragging under the car and then I put my hand over on the passenger seat and it stopped. They made a rattling sound like something dragging under the car when they would vibrate.
    Thanks, I'll check that too. I'm not ruling out anything at this point. Its weird and hasn't happened with one of the mechanics in the car so they have no clue.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Here's what's happening... when I accelerate I hear a rattle (not everytime, only about 3 times per week), sounds almost like a tin can dragging. I have even gotten out and looked under the car just to make sure. Nothing there. I have had the muffler(s) checked, new cats, tune-up, all 02 sensors replaced, new brakes-discs and rtrs. Nothing shows up as wrong on the dealership computer and no probs. with the temp. and it's shifting fine (automatic). Nothing is loose underneath either. WTF is it??
    ive have a similar sound that started after my transmission was rebuilt . . . mine only happens on acceleration and at about 1500-2500 rpms. i was thinkin it was a heat shield but have never found one that seems loose enough

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Is it constant or just for a moment?

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Could be the honeycomb in your cats..

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Also, does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Memphis/North MS area? I need to have some a/c work done and do not want to get ripped. I need a condenser and dryer replaced and was just told there is a little rust in the radiator. Thanks!

mine did the same thing. its probably your cats. when i took mine off and put the lt's on. my cats were loose.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Is it constant or just for a moment?
    It's just for a moment and only when accelerating below 45.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Is it only when you first start, or does it happen at all after you've been running for awhile.

What I'm getting at is. Every once and awhile I hear what sounds like a tin can hitting the ground as well, but very loud and I know that it is my exhaust. Got louder after I hollowed out my muffler. Are you absolutely certain that it's not your exhaust? Pay attention to your rpms. If it's in the middle of a shift then you will know that it's your exhaust. It's easier for me to tell cause I'm manual and can wait before excellerating again.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I had an annoying rattle and it turned out to be the jack was lose. I dont have the spare in there anymore but I left the jack in. I tightened it down and the rattle went away.

Thread Information