Help selecting a car

I'm looking to buy a 98-02 T/A. I noticed that you could get a basic T/A or you could get it with the Ram Air/WS6 package.

What does the Ram Air/WS6 package give me that is not in the base T/A (they both have the 5.7 LS1)? Is it really worth it?

One of the cars I'm looking at I think has a fake Ram Air set up (or maybe aftermarket). It has the Ram Air stickers on the hood, but doesn't have the WS6 on the rear end. Are these after market Ram Airs as good as the factory Ram Air setups?

Thanks for the help

Carl

LPM
    2000 Z28

To my knowledge the ws6 package is a hood, power steering cooler, and thicker front sway bar. Take that for what it's worth. The ws6's also tend hold value better than a trans am.

Feel free to correct me

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

blue
    2001 silverado

Good thread. I was just after this info. Found 2 nice TA,s and the WS6 is like 5 grand more....

LPM
    2000 Z28

As for the aftermarket hoods, the stock ws6 hood has baffles inside of it that greatly reduce any "ram air" that flows through it.

Any functional ram air hood, or one with the baffles removed will provide more air to the air box

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The hood is merely a cosmetic option. If you like it, great, but it doesn't make your car any faster. Also comes with 17" wheels.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Also comes with 17" wheels.
    Wasn't sure about that but had a feeling I missed something.

+1 on minimal gains if any from the hood

White
    1998 Trans Am

Depends on what you plan to do to the car. Mine is a normal TA with aftermarket WS6 hood debaffeled. I have changed all the suspension, ehaust, wheels, and intake so if it was a WS6 all that would be left would be the hood. WS6's are nice if you don't plan on doing alot of mods they do have the larger wheels, some suspenion upgrades, and a better catback as well I beleive. Depends on your plans and the price difference between them. $1000 or so get the WS6 since those hoods are expensive but I wouldn't pay $5000 more.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

like ryan said. It depends what you want from the car. If you plan on modding the piss out of it and changing stuff like the Heads and Cam, rear end, etc etc. Then id go with the base model TA. If youre trying to find a car that is pretty much stock to just drive around and get on here and there then get the WS6 because itll be easier to sell in the future for more money because it holds its value a lot better. Virtually theres not much of a difference between the two, just small features here and there.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

The ws6 option got you the ram air hood with raised air box, which uped the hp to 320. You also got a thicker front sway bar and 17 inch wheels that came standard with 275 rubber. Also you got a power steering cooler to help with the biggar rubber. A ws6 will hold its value better than a regular ta or formula but if your not worried about that you can spend that money on mods and be quicker than a ws6 for less than one.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

IMO, looks and "collectability"/"rarity" are what you get out of a WS6.

Performance is close enough to be neglected, IF you plan on modding. If your going to leave the car stock, I would go with WS6. If ypur going to mod it, you'll end up changing the things the seperate the two anyways.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can also look at the RPO code inside the driver's side door to tell whether or not the car is a real Ws6.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You can also look at the RPO code inside the driver's side door to tell whether or not the car is a real Ws6.

He had another thread asking similar questions that I hooked him up with the sticky threads on F-bodies & RPO codes.

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

Mine had the Rapter hood. I replaced the airbox with an open K&N cone intake. Then I cut holes behind the grills in the hood. I could feel the difference. I was very mindful about driving in the rain after that. Didn't want vapor lock.
    It's gotta be fast and sexy.
    93 Supra T 6spd,(1 of 197) 1K WHP build under way. Streetable!!!!!
    94 Supra Turbo(1 of 549) 600 rwhp on pump gas. 700+ rwhp on race fuel.
    http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/a...foronemore.jpg

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ "Hydrolock" is what can occur when water is sucked into the engine.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

And vapor lock happens when the motor is so hot that the fuel vaporizes while in the intake. Doesn't happen as much with modern cars as it would the old ones (carb, cast intakes, etc from the 70's on.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Not like you haven't gotten your answers but plain and simple, here you go. To the best of my knowledge...

WS6: Came with the WS6 hood, which yes is baffled and normally is $6-700 to buy a real one, so the hood is worth paying a little more for. The raised airbox also was included.

Came with 17" wheels, with 275/40/17's all the way around. The base TA had I believe 245/50/16's or something to that nature.

The muffler was slightly free'er flowing, but the piping was the same, 2 3/4".

Came with a 32mm front Sway bar, as opposed to... no idea lol.

Power Steering cooler.

Shocks/struts...not sure if the decarbons were on the base model as well? Someone can clarify.

Basically, even with "everyone does these" mods, you ditch the need for a WS6. Lid, there's your airbox. Exhaust, there's your muffler. Rims, there's your personal tire size. Suspension you can do as you please, it's more about the rarity as someone else said. Not saying they're rare but, f you're going to have a car that isn't made anymore, people like buying te "best" trim they came in. It's all your preference, you won't really have a faster car either way, though the WS6 is cooler . Plus you don't have to spend time getting an aftermarket hood.

Thread Information