Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help! Is my car worth it?

This is a discussion on Help! Is my car worth it? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Yeah I am hoping that you guys are right the wheels and exhaust is a nice touch and I think ...

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yeah I am hoping that you guys are right the wheels and exhaust is a nice touch and I think its a necessity because the old wheels and tires made the car look too plain. If i get 10k for the car I may have lost about 5k or so but after paying the car off I should have about 7k to play around with and when i finally sell my black 86 ta and get my income taxes I should be looking at either a bike and truck or a new ws6 lol

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Back in 09 when I was shopping, I saw people selling lightly modded 98-99 TAs with that kind of mileage asking for 10K or more. Don't know if they sold em for that price, but I remember many in that asking range. If you're not in a rush, I think you can probably make that price.

Do you still have the original rims, exhaust, and anything else you replaced? Maybe you can part those out seperately to help make a little more dough?

_
    No good deed goes unpunished.

It has a big wing!

Around here in south Tx, your car would probably be a $7500 obo car...

I kind of side with the idea of keeping it... it looks fantastic,sounds like you have already dumped some cash into it (I'm surprised how nice that hood's fitment looks!) and from what you have said,you know the history on it... THAT! Is really good in my opinion.

Like my Firehawk,I bought it from my brother who is moving and needed the money. He was the second owner and has always maintained his cars and the first owner REALLY babied it.Except for some bug etchings in the black paint on the front facia,I think she looks and RUNS like new!

Did mention she has 100K miles??? These cars when well maintained just run and run and run! Did I also mention that his DD TA ( a 98') has 180k miles just like 67CamaroRSSS?? It's a 2.73 geared A4 that still squawks 2nd on a launch!

Good luck in our choices man..

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

You can talk all you want about mileage and how these things will run on forever. And I understand that, being a former and current LS owner. But try to go on and preach it to the general public

This being the reason why the OP may have to wait a little longer to sell it for the amount he feels he should get (and justifiably so). Sooner or later, somebody with some LS1 knowledge will come along and appreciate the car and the upkeep that comes with it.

Forgot to mention, if it were me, I'd keep it as well, pay it off, then take out a loan on the car of your dreams, while keeping your current ride a DD. Next year, if I don't upgrade my water toy, I'll be searching around for a nice GTO or G8

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    You can talk all you want about mileage and how these things will run on forever. And I understand that, being a former and current LS owner. But try to go on and preach it to the general public
    Agreed...

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

put some 3.73's on it and the thught of selling it will wash right out out of your mind

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    Around here in south Tx, your car would probably be a $7500 obo car...

I kind of side with the idea of keeping it... it looks fantastic,sounds like you have already dumped some cash into it (I'm surprised how nice that hood's fitment looks!) and from what you have said,you know the history on it... THAT! Is really good in my opinion.

Like my Firehawk,I bought it from my brother who is moving and needed the money. He was the second owner and has always maintained his cars and the first owner REALLY babied it.Except for some bug etchings in the black paint on the front facia,I think she looks and RUNS like new!

Did mention she has 100K miles??? These cars when well maintained just run and run and run! Did I also mention that his DD TA ( a 98') has 180k miles just like 67CamaroRSSS?? It's a 2.73 geared A4 that still squawks 2nd on a launch!

Good luck in our choices man..
    Yeah to get the hood painted and done professionally to look like that my father who had it installed had to spend 500 for the hood and 600 for the paint job. Took about 2 months to get it all correct but I think it turned out good. I know these cars last for long after 100k miles but its not exactly the perfect car to start digging into the internals at this point and I want something faster lol

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Back in 09 when I was shopping, I saw people selling lightly modded 98-99 TAs with that kind of mileage asking for 10K or more. Don't know if they sold em for that price, but I remember many in that asking range. If you're not in a rush, I think you can probably make that price.

Do you still have the original rims, exhaust, and anything else you replaced? Maybe you can part those out seperately to help make a little more dough?

_
    I sold the stock wheels and tires for 300 bucks but that was because they were just the basic abs wheels with 295s on the back and the fronts were bald. Other than that I dont have anything else =/ Thanks for the advice, I know that around here the price seems right for the car because there arent many, commonly i see cars with about 70-80k miles but they are asking 12-13k so i figure 10 isnt to much to ask

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post

This being the reason why the OP may have to wait a little longer to sell it for the amount he feels he should get (and justifiably so). Sooner or later, somebody with some LS1 knowledge will come along and appreciate the car and the upkeep that comes with it.

Forgot to mention, if it were me, I'd keep it as well, pay it off, then take out a loan on the car of your dreams, while keeping your current ride a DD. Next year, if I don't upgrade my water toy, I'll be searching around for a nice GTO or G8
    I dont know what to do, you make it sound so easy but im just so young lol. I get out of college with my bachelor's next year and god willing I find a good job maybe I will be able to afford a 12 second daily driver and a 10 second street car lol

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    put some 3.73's on it and the thught of selling it will wash right out out of your mind
    how hard is the job to switch to 373s and does it affect gas mileage much? I have been told to switch from my 323s to 373s before but I dont know much about the job

yellow/black
    2002 Trans Am CETA

I honestly can't even see the miles on your car. It looks great for the miles. I'd say save your money and keep this one. I wish I'd saved some money when I was younger. Having said that, do what you want, its your car. Like some others said before, good thing is you don't HAVE to sell right now so it wont hurt to put it up for sale and if you are not happy with the offers just don't take them.

On a side note, today on the powerblock Courtney showcased an 89 Mustang with 689,XXX miles on it, original eninge and trans. Car is driven by a female in sales and the car is maintained by her son.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks =) Alot of people dont expect the miles on the car and hopefully someone will see how well the car has been maintained even if it has 100k miles on it. If not, like everyone suggested I will just keep the car. This morning I woke up to an offer from a guy wanting to trade me a 85 corvette with a rebuilt engine and a bunch of stuff done to it but im more interested in either a bike or a new ls1 car =)
    Last edited by smkn gts; 04-11-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

100,000 is indeed the magic number for used car buyers, you may even have more interest in it before it passes into six figures, so may want to try selling it now rather than later.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    100,000 is indeed the magic number for used car buyers, you may even have more interest in it before it passes into six figures, so may want to try selling it now rather than later.
    I agree and I know I will hit 100k this summer if I dont sell it, I drive the car alot since I am young I cant really afford to keep both cars insured and make payments only working part time with full time college =(

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    I dont know what to do, you make it sound so easy but im just so young lol. I get out of college with my bachelor's next year and god willing I find a good job maybe I will be able to afford a 12 second daily driver and a 10 second street car lol
    I'm young as well, 24, and I've got more than just the camaro. Don't need to brag or showboat about what I have, but it's all about intelligent/cautious investments. Buy smart, don't sit on a good buy, and keep upgrading, that's what I've learned to do, and it's worked out well. But it's your car, your money, your situation, can only tell you what I've done and plan to do.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks for the advice. I think im going to post the car for sale and just leave it alone for now. If I get any bites then good but if I dont, its okay because I dont NEED to sell the car. Hopefully next year ill be done with school and I can buy my dream car and maybe if I still have this car keep as a DD when I can afford it lol

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Thanks for the advice. I think im going to post the car for sale and just leave it alone for now. If I get any bites then good but if I dont, its okay because I dont NEED to sell the car. Hopefully next year ill be done with school and I can buy my dream car and maybe if I still have this car keep as a DD when I can afford it lol

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Thumbs down

Yup perfect, if someone is willing to pay for it great, if not no sale.

yellow/black
    2002 Trans Am CETA

Good for you bro, now you're thinking with your dipstick (not that you weren't before). Your education will pay you back later. Good luck.
    02 CETA #654 7800 miles
    09 G8 GT liquid red, sport/premium/sunroof red/black int
    07 Tahoe LS

...you'll know it's me when I come through your town
    I'm gonna ride around in style, I'm gonna drive everybody wild
    'cause I'll have the only one there is around

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Dealers here in Houston are selling stock- lightly modded t/a's from 11-15k ( at least they're trying to anyway)... A member on this site sold his lightly modded ws6 for $11xxx here in Houston as well. There's also a guy down the street from me with 2 lightly modded t/a's and he's askin $13xxx for one and $14xxx for the other. Hell, there's a guy on craigslist sellin a 99 formula with a rod through the block for $4500. I'm sure these cars will sell for close to what they're askin. Houston is prime for these cars it seems.
    Last edited by jiveass; 04-11-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information