Results 1 to 12 of 12

Help me please

This is a discussion on Help me please within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I took my car to the track when i got it bout 4 months ago first run alt gauge came ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Crusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Indiana
    Posts
    43

    White
    2002 ws6, 70 Road Runner

    Help me please

    I took my car to the track when i got it bout 4 months ago first run alt gauge came on... New alt from GM installed....took it to track tonight first pass it did it again...What could be doin that???? Bout to set car on fire! ha ah

  2. #2
    cammed & slammed Kaotic_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville Tx
    Age
    26
    Posts
    983

    Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I took my car to the track when i got it bout 4 months ago first run alt gauge came on... New alt from GM installed....took it to track tonight first pass it did it again...What could be doin that???? Bout to set car on fire! ha ah
    what did it run?

  3. #3
    Junior Member Crusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Indiana
    Posts
    43

    White
    2002 ws6, 70 Road Runner

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    what did it run?
    13.52 six days after i got it...then died...Last friday spun its ass off 14.30 and died again..It wont stay runnin long enough for me to work on launchin it...I'm afraid to take it down there again ha ha

  4. #4
    cammed & slammed Kaotic_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville Tx
    Age
    26
    Posts
    983

    Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    13.52 six days after i got it...then died...Last friday spun its ass off 14.30 and died again..It wont stay runnin long enough for me to work on launchin it...I'm afraid to take it down there again ha ha
    sorry your having problems, go find a car just like yours in a parking lot that somehow still has the keys in it and switch cars haha. quick fix

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Start with a voltmeter under the hood -- check your battery voltage with the car off -- should be at least 12.4 or so. Then start the car and see if it climbs up to at least 13.2 or more. This will tell you if the alternator is charging.

    Two thoughts: One - Just because the alternator is new does not mean it is bad. Take it in and have it tested at your local Autozone or equivalent. Two - How is your battery? A battery on its way out can cause some real strange issues. If you have another side post battery available, swap it out with yours and see what happens.

  6. #6
    cammed & slammed Kaotic_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville Tx
    Age
    26
    Posts
    983

    Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Start with a voltmeter under the hood -- check your battery voltage with the car off -- should be at least 12.4 or so. Then start the car and see if it climbs up to at least 13.2 or more. This will tell you if the alternator is charging.

    Two thoughts: One - Just because the alternator is new does not mean it is bad. Take it in and have it tested at your local Autozone or equivalent. Two - How is your battery? A battery on its way out can cause some real strange issues. If you have another side post battery available, swap it out with yours and see what happens.
    yea when my battery was goin out weird stuff happened.. all the electronics acted strange, and it cranked up fine one morning to go to work and i worked 8 hours and then tried to go home and the battery was dead completely.. and i didnt leave anything on, took forever to jump it off then i drove 50min home and turned the car off and tried to start it again right after i killed it and it wouldnt do a thing. changed the battery and everything was alright

  7. #7
    Junior Member Crusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Indiana
    Posts
    43

    White
    2002 ws6, 70 Road Runner

    Thanx for input... Pontiac dealer fixed it last time (Prolly 3 or 4 months ago) and they have it again now..Car works fine until i run it at the track..at the end of the track check gauges light comes on and alt gauge in the red. It was fine at starting line. track is about 1/2 hour from my house. I drive it straight home then its done.. I run it thru on back roads all the time and never bothers it until Its at the track. SO weird. I have worked on cars my whole life and this thing puzzles me..

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    That is interesting. I know running at WOT with your AC compressor engaged is a bad thing. I think more than one guy on here has accidentally smoked their compressor. Never heard of any problems with alternators though. Let us know what you find...

  9. #9
    Junior Member Crusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Indiana
    Posts
    43

    White
    2002 ws6, 70 Road Runner

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That is interesting. I know running at WOT with your AC compressor engaged is a bad thing. I think more than one guy on here has accidentally smoked their compressor. Never heard of any problems with alternators though. Let us know what you find...
    I will soon as i figure it out..It has everyone i know sayin wtf?

  10. #10
    cammed & slammed Kaotic_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville Tx
    Age
    26
    Posts
    983

    Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

    simple, your car doesnt want to be at the track..

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Age
    34
    Posts
    97

    Black
    2000 T/A WS6

    Just an off the wall thought but have you checked to make sure all the cables and wires to the alternator and batt are in good shape and not grounding out some where? My brother had something similar happen to his truck and I think the cable coming off the alt had a bare spot and it was grounding out when he went down rough roads.

  12. #12
    Junior Member Crusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Indiana
    Posts
    43

    White
    2002 ws6, 70 Road Runner

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_ws6_00 View Post
    Just an off the wall thought but have you checked to make sure all the cables and wires to the alternator and batt are in good shape and not grounding out some where? My brother had something similar happen to his truck and I think the cable coming off the alt had a bare spot and it was grounding out when he went down rough roads.
    I will double check it when i get it back.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •