Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Help me convince myself to get a TA over a G35

This is a discussion on Help me convince myself to get a TA over a G35 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman 15 inches?? No way you're making it through 15 inches of snow with any Subaru. There's ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    15 inches?? No way you're making it through 15 inches of snow with any Subaru. There's this thing called ground clearance - with that much snow, all you'll be doing is pushing it like a plow an going nowhere.

With snow that deep you need a full size SUV or truck with 4WD. No questions about it.

As for the OP - Get the T/A. It looks much better, gets the same or better fuel economy, and its got a much more reliable powertrain.
    I have driven with snow above my bumper yes and when going through banks it has come up over my hood and onto the windshield. I dont need to explain to you how it snows in Wisconsin and i have never missed work because of snow. Got my blizzaks for winter and im set, never been stuck i also dotn try things i know just wont work. But it takes alot for me not to try it. A trans am isnt a DD in winter, if it is your gonna miss alot of days of work, atleast where i live. There are times at work where i just walk around digging out peoples cars and pushing them out of the lot and then just get in my car and drive striaght through it. When i get in and out of my car the door moves a good 2 to 3 inchs out of the way when i open it and i go through that no prob.

IMO subaru does AWD the best, give me a longitudinally mounted engine with no transfer case anyday. Lsd up front and back 50/50 split. I have owned AWD DSMs and there AWD system is nothing compared to subies.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-12-2009 at 01:50 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I have driven with snow above my bumper yes and when going through banks it has come up over my hood and onto the windshield. I dont need to explain to you how it snows in Wisconsin and i have never missed work because of snow. Got my blizzaks for winter and im set, never been stuck i also dotn try things i know just wont work. But it takes alot for me not to try it. A trans am isnt a DD in winter, if it is your gonna miss alot of days of work, atleast where i live. There are times at work where i just walk around digging out peoples cars and pushing them out of the lot and then just get in my car and drive striaght through it. When i get in and out of my car the door moves a good 2 to 3 inchs out of the way when i open it and i go through that no prob.

IMO subaru does AWD the best, give me a longitudinally mounted engine with no transfer case anyday. Lsd up front and back 50/50 split. I have owned AWD DSMs and there AWD system is nothing compared to subies.
    Interesting, but I still can't see it being very good when the snow gets deeper than the bumper. No car would be. The Blizzaks help tremendously though, even on FWD/RWD cars I've seen those tires go through snow that you wouldn't think would be possible to forge through.

For the ultimate in snow traction I'd gladly take a full size SUV like a Chevy Tahoe with the Autotrac 4WD and a limited slip rear. Now that will go anywhere.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    For the ultimate in snow traction I'd gladly take a full size SUV like a Chevy Tahoe with the Autotrac 4WD and a limited slip rear. Now that will go anywhere.
    Im not disputing that

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I know what you mean by practicality, I went from a paid off truck to my ta back in January, best fuckin move I've made, G35= over-priced nissan, get a ta, with the money saved, mod it, or keep for assurance, TA FTW

silver
    99 z28

subarus

i never drove one, and i wasn't arguing with you. my DD for winter is a 97 explorer sport 4x4 and that thing goes straight thru almost anything, even when they plow my driveway in and its over my bumper, i plow right through-i got it with 140k on it for only 1800 bucks on craigslist and aside from needing a tune-up, its been a great vehicle for 1800 bucks, but my z, that thing sits still in 1 inch!! but it moves like a s.ob. on dry pavement! i know many of my friends like the awd subs, and ive been told that jeeps are actually the best for off road

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Z28onTHErun View Post
    i never drove one, and i wasn't arguing with you. my DD for winter is a 97 explorer sport 4x4 and that thing goes straight thru almost anything, even when they plow my driveway in and its over my bumper, i plow right through-i got it with 140k on it for only 1800 bucks on craigslist and aside from needing a tune-up, its been a great vehicle for 1800 bucks, but my z, that thing sits still in 1 inch!! but it moves like a s.ob. on dry pavement! i know many of my friends like the awd subs, and ive been told that jeeps are actually the best for off road
    I know you werent arguing with me, wesman said he doesnt think i could go through 15inches because it would be above my front bumper thats who my post was for. I paid 15k for my legacy with 28kmiles on it. I looked and looked and i couldnt find another car that had all this car had for as cheap. The only cars that were close were the audi AWD cars and the A4 comes with weak engines and the a6/early 2000s s4 cost way too much with 28kmiles on them. I got a real nice interior imo, great AWD, reliable engine, enough room for my daughter and anything else i need on daily basis, i dont have to look like a punk kid and drive a STI, 250hp/250trq stock and with 200 bucks in mods im at 310hp/330trq. Its a fun little grocery getter
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-13-2009 at 02:40 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ok so here's my though if you have the cash to get a G35 why not buy a Vette. You can get a nice C5 style for 20k and under. get a C6 for 25 to 30k with pretty low miles on them.

01 modded gtp

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Ok so here's my though if you have the cash to get a G35 why not buy a Vette. You can get a nice C5 style for 20k and under. get a C6 for 25 to 30k with pretty low miles on them.
    If I could get a vette I would, but I don't hink I have the $$$ for one. The G35 I was looking at was only $11,995 with 79,000 miles

01 modded gtp

I know you werent arguing with me, wesman said he doesnt think i could go through 15inches because it would be above my front bumper thats who my post was for. I paid 15k for my legacy with 28kmiles on it. I looked and looked and i couldnt find another car that had all this car had for as cheap. The only cars that were close were the audi AWD cars and the A4 comes with weak engines and the a6/early 2000s s4 cost way too much with 28kmiles on them. I got a real nice interior imo, great AWD, reliable engine, enough room for my daughter and anything else i need on daily basis, i dont have to look like a punk kid and drive a STI, 250hp/250trq stock and with 200 bucks in mods im at 310hp/330trq. Its a fun little grocery getter
    Hey what year is your legacy my mom is looking at a car and wants something fun and I think that a legacy would be good for her.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoiJoe View Post
    If I could get a vette I would, but I don't hink I have the $$$ for one. The G35 I was looking at was only $11,995 with 79,000 miles
    I've seen 98 to 2000 vettes in the 14 to 15k range if you don't mind 60 to 70k miles. I've seen one red 98 that was 10495 with 88k miles on it

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I got my 99 m6 ta which had 79,xxx (@83.400 now) for 9988, gave me 3k for my trade in, financed about 7400 after tt&l with gap ins, got a 4.7% int rate through a credit union and for 3 years my payment is $238, get a ta, you'll be smacking yourself along with any lsx owner you come across

silver
    99 z28

sti

youre right about that, all i see is punk looking teens or metro or homosexual looking dudes in sti's! HAHA thats funny. i'd love to get an audi or an infinity too, but all of them are pretty much out of my price range, subs too im barely getting by...Thats 1 reason Im so pleased with the LS1 powered cars, best bang for the buck...I had a 96 Cobra, a 95 GT, and a 85 GT 4 barrel 5.0, so as you can see, I actually used to be a die-hard mustang fan...but I contribute this mostly to the fact that, at those times, T/As and Z's were still very expensive in comparison to a 5L, so i never even bothered test driving one, because I couldnt afford them...Then I fell in love with the Chevy Silverado, my first, a 96 Z71 x-cab, i loved that truck, then a 99 z71 that turned out to be a total p.o.s. (trans blew out, manifold gasket, front-end rebuild, and the real shocker-my rear diff. took a shit from a stop while barely touching the gas! my bro's a mechanic and saved me at least 10,000 vs a dealership, the 99s are just garbage, they should have kept the old drivetrain in the new frame and body! but my 99 z is problem free-so far just an alternator and a window motor for less than 150 bucks-it was the first LS1 i ever drove, its easily the fastest and funnest car ive ever owned, sorry to blah, blah, blah, but i got nuthin better to do! laid off week 3 LOL

silver
    99 z28

ah brewtown

i didnt even notice you were from milwaukee! whada think about poor gokie? I think he got screwed! Sucks to get beat by 1 guy whos only in still because of a bunch of 12 year old girls in Arkansas, and another guy who takes it in the rear! maybe i see you around sometime, im on the south side off 60th and oklahoma, take it easy brewtown brother! you may find me at the shooters shop on 84th, letting my new taurus pt1911 .45 acp loose!

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Z28onTHErun View Post
    i didnt even notice you were from milwaukee! whada think about poor gokie? I think he got screwed! Sucks to get beat by 1 guy whos only in still because of a bunch of 12 year old girls in Arkansas, and another guy who takes it in the rear! maybe i see you around sometime, im on the south side off 60th and oklahoma, take it easy brewtown brother! you may find me at the shooters shop on 84th, letting my new taurus pt1911 .45 acp loose!
    Sorry didnt know Gokie was voted off

Nice, i live right off 86th and morgan, we live 5min apart if we catch lights lol
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-14-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Hey what year is your legacy my mom is looking at a car and wants something fun and I think that a legacy would be good for her.
    Mine is a 05. The 05-09 are the same with some minor changes in 08-09 and now the 2010 is new with 265hp and a 6speed manual only for the turbo models. But the 05-09 you can get auto if she likes it. If you really want a STI but dotn wanna look liek a ricer check out the 07-09 spec B legacy. Its the same engine as the regular GT but with beefy suspension, torsen rear diff and STI 6 speed, nav, alacantra leather. Its a nice car

You might wanna be careful though, i ran a 13.6 with a 4.9 0-60 time in my legacy and its auto so no 5500rpm AWD launchs for me. With a couple mods your mom could have a car faster than yours if you get the G35. Most stick legacys with my mods are running 12.9-13.2.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-14-2009 at 09:38 AM.

01 modded gtp

Mine is a 05. The 05-09 are the same with some minor changes in 08-09 and now the 2010 is new with 265hp and a 6speed manual only for the turbo models. But the 05-09 you can get auto if she likes it. If you really want a STI but dotn wanna look liek a ricer check out the 07-09 spec B legacy. Its the same engine as the regular GT but with beefy suspension, torsen rear diff and STI 6 speed, nav, alacantra leather. Its a nice car

You might wanna be careful though, i ran a 13.6 with a 4.9 0-60 time in my legacy and its auto so no 5500rpm AWD launchs for me. With a couple mods your mom could have a car faster than yours if you get the G35. Most stick legacys with my mods are running 12.9-13.2.
    I am going to tell my mom to look at the GTs they sound like reallly fun cars.

Arctic White, red/gray

I am going to tell my mom to look at the GTs they sound like reallly fun cars.
    They are not as much fun as a ls1 car but it can def do more things and still be fun.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6

g35's r nice but they dont have balls like a t/a. my friend even has the g37s and it still cant compete. t/a would be alot better choice in my opinion.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

G35 vs TA.... Two completely different cars. One is a Family Car, The other is a "Making a Family Car." LOL

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The T/A will most likely get little better gas mileage on highway if its a 6 speed, and on the dragstrip or oval track the T/A is gonna stomp on the G35.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information