Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Help!! I have a 3rd Gen Fetish!

This is a discussion on Help!! I have a 3rd Gen Fetish! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by rideon1200 Well, I have some good news. I have been a member of 3rdgen.org for 5 or ...

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    Well, I have some good news. I have been a member of 3rdgen.org for 5 or 6 years and had several 3rd gens. You will not need to worry about someone buying your cars at those prices, so they will continue to grace your garages. Thirds have never caught on as collectors and there is no resale value in them. They do look good and are fun. Here is my 87 that I sold about 2 years ago.
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/100_0525.jpg
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...rebhttp://i918
    Ya I was a member there. I had an 88 Iroc 350 TPI with 50,000 original miles that I reluctantly sold about a year ago,,,got $9,000 for that car. An original paint and near mint unmolested car is still desirable to alot of people.

So I wouldn't say they don't bring decent money,,,if you have the right 3rd gen that is. Hell that's more than I've seen some decent 4th gens sell for lately

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    I really prefer the z28's of this era....
    Should have a couple pics of my 91 z28 in about half an hour. 23xxx miles all original beside tires and is pristine Let me know what you think. John

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

very cool.....I like it........when the moneys right I want a 92 z28 that I want to use as a daily driver.....yum!
    "I'll gut you like a fish!"

RED
    2002 FORMULA

OK, exceptions to every rule. I guess it depends how good a salesman you are. I should know, one of our guys sold a 2 ton changeout for 18,000. (the hvac guys are on floor now) But, if you are looking for a third now is the time to buy. Yes, unmolested will mean you will get owned by a Prius, they are slow. Minimum they are at least worth 4500.00 till October.
    Last edited by rideon1200; 08-03-2009 at 04:13 AM.

OK, exceptions to every rule. I guess it depends how good a salesman you are. I should know, one of our guys sold a 2 ton changeout for 18,000. (the hvac guys are on floor now) But, if you are looking for a third now is the time to buy. Yes, unmolested will mean you will get owned by a Prius, they are slow. Minimum they are at least worth 4500.00 till October.
    Not all slow,,,mine only had 2.77 gears and ran 14.60's at 94 stock. I bumped fuel pressure 4 psi and installed hooker shorty headers and edelbrock cat back exhaust and went 13.90's at 100 mph with tire spinning 2.3 60 foot times. Not too shabby for a couple of simple tricks. Very respectable car for what it was. Shucks my 02 SS auto with 3.23 gears only went 13.70's at 102 mph when it was stock.
    Really not that much difference in times considering the handicaps the 3rd gen had.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Thats why I said unmolested. The LG4 was a piece of crap. You see alot of thirds at the track, sure the hell not stock. If you are looking for speed the LS1 is the ticket. I have driven alot of cars, worked at used car lot in 80's. My Formula is the fastest stock car I have driven.

Thats why I said unmolested. The LG4 was a piece of crap. You see alot of thirds at the track, sure the hell not stock. If you are looking for speed the LS1 is the ticket. I have driven alot of cars, worked at used car lot in 80's. My Formula is the fastest stock car I have driven.
    If you are basing 3rd gen performance and resale value off of the LG4 then you are missing the big picture.

Plenty of other fast cars out there that aren't LS powered ya know.
    If your formula is the fastest stock car you have driven,,,then you need to get out more, you haven't driven everything.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

My favorite 3rd gens are the Formula 350, and the '89 Anniversary Trans Am.

Ride: Like any collectible, the top models are going to bring the higher prices. The LG4 was the base engine for the Formula and Trans Am. Yes it was crapt. Back in the day, it was a 2.2 Shelby Daytona's bitch at a stoplight. And that, my friends, was sad.

However, the pristine, low mileage TPI IROCs, Formula 350s, and GTAs are already bringing in some respectable cash... IF you can find one.

The car you posted a pic of shows a Formula hood and wheels, but a Firebird spoiler, and the markings "Firebird" on the side. You said it was an '87? That looks like a Firebird with a replaced, non-original hood taken from a Formula.

--
    Last edited by 2000LS1Bird; 08-04-2009 at 10:30 PM.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Actually the hatch had been replaced with a 86 Firebird. Had the third brake light a dead giveaway. The hood had the vin number stamped in, that was original. The front fender had been replaced and the front clip. The car did have the Formula wheels, the hood and it was a ws6.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

This is my first baby, had her since I was 16.. shes a 1989 Firebird Formula, i believe its a WS.6 or something cuz it does have the "performance suspension package and it did have "WS.6" centercaps ... she's clean inside and out with a little 305 that i rebuilt and a auto tranny i love her, she even has a name "Alaris" means "ruler of all"...

And i know i hate the look without a wing, but some fuckin idiots ripped it off when i was in highschool and i wanna get a 4th gen wing for it but i havent had the cash, i also wanna repaint her

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    ...Back in the day, it was a 2.2 Shelby Daytona's bitch at a stoplight. And that, my friends, was sad...
    My first car was a 1987 Shelby Z Daytona with the 2.2 Turbo and a 5 speed! We "played" with the wastegate a little bit, did a little intake and exhaust work, and it would keep right up with a stock Mustang GT automatic. 'Course, it didn't last long before it was making some odd noises deep down inside and got traded on my 1992 Firebird...with a 305 TBI and 700r4, which was a LOT slower.

Redline Kiwi Green/Black
    08'/02'/99'/97'/83'/82/81

Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    Third gens rock! I bought an '87 T/A a couple years ago and fixed it up. Now it's sitting outside waiting for a new harmonic balancer...or rather waiting for me to have time to change it.

I put a 4th gen rear end in it, 3.73's, Torsen, shaved handles and side markers, paint, etc, etc. I now have a LOT more in it thatn it'll ever be worth, and I want to sell it.
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    I will ALWAYS be a Third Gen fanatic. I have had more Third Gens than I care to admit. Go for it! i hate to sound so cliche but you can't have just one.

That is so cool. A Third Gen with a Torsen rear. Beautiful T/A!!!! Great combo and color!!! For years I wanted to have a Third Gen restoration shop called the Third Bird Sanctuary. My first car at 14yrs was a 84 Firebird with the Iron Duke. This was years ago. Long before Hawks, Next Gen and Classic. I was only 13 at the time. Mom thought I should be a marinebiologist.

Redline Kiwi Green/Black
    08'/02'/99'/97'/83'/82/81

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    This is my first baby, had her since I was 16.. shes a 1989 Firebird Formula, i believe its a WS.6 or something cuz it does have the "performance suspension package and it did have "WS.6" centercaps ... she's clean inside and out with a little 305 that i rebuilt and a auto tranny i love her, she even has a name "Alaris" means "ruler of all"...

And i know i hate the look without a wing, but some fuckin idiots ripped it off when i was in highschool and i wanna get a 4th gen wing for it but i havent had the cash, i also wanna repaint her

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

She stilll is stunnig regardless of the aero spoiler!! I have alot respect for you. It is not often enough to see someone with a 3rd Gen for so long. I feel your high school Bird torture. I went through that with my 84' Bird in high school. The crap that was done to my poor Arnie. Then again, I was the only female in a vo-tech auto class.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

87-89 gta black on black with ls6 and t-56,would be my choice.

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

it's funny that when the 3rds came out I didn't really like up....I'm a hard core 2nd gen fan...had a 77 and 79....then I got a 3rd Camaro SS and loved it.....I really want one another.....

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Doing a ground up restoration of my 87 GTA... with an LT1/t56 swap from the 305/auto.. LOTS of work.. LOTS of money.. but in the end I'm hoping its worth it.

Day I bought it...

Tore into it...

And the engine I was building..

-Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

An LT1 3rd gen?

Sounds cool. Keep us updated. If that's going to be a black GTA with a stock look but LT1 power, I'm going to be envious.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I've always dremaed of putting a ls1 in mine, but its only a dream.... but dreams come true ey

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    An LT1 3rd gen?

Sounds cool. Keep us updated. If that's going to be a black GTA with a stock look but LT1 power, I'm going to be envious.
    Yep.. she'll be a semi-sleeper.. I have my '88 Formula hood thats going on her.. as well as '82 front and rear bumper covers... but otherwise all badging will be removed, no moulding.. etc.. and of course keeping her basic black.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information