Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Help!! I have a 3rd Gen Fetish!

This is a discussion on Help!! I have a 3rd Gen Fetish! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Why do I like this car so much? Its slow. Its not even an L69 H.O. (the preferred 3rd gen ...

  1. #1
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    Help!! I have a 3rd Gen Fetish!

    Why do I like this car so much?



    Its slow. Its not even an L69 H.O. (the preferred 3rd gen motor before tuned-port injection arrived in '85).

    But all I want to do is stare at it. Even thinking about buying one.

    I love that cowl hood, the paint scheme, and those early 80's aero-style wheel covers. Its just history on wheels.

    Do I need help?

  2. #2
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Why do I like this car so much?

    Click for full size

    Its slow. Its not even an L69 H.O. (the preferred 3rd gen motor before tuned-port injection arrived in '85).

    But all I want to do is stare at it. Even thinking about buying one.

    I love that cowl hood, the paint scheme, and those early 80's aero-style wheel covers. Its just history on wheels.

    Do I need help?
    Cut the mullet and move out of the trailer park.


  3. #3
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly+Glenmoore, Pa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,704

    Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Cut the mullet and move out of the trailer park.

    Yeah thats a start.

    No, I agree, its a sexy car except for the rims IMO.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    No way, 3rdgens are awesome.

    One of my favorite 'Birds is the '89 TTA, and I'd love to have a GTA with a LS1.

    I used to have a 88GTA L98, I loved that car and I really miss it. In a way I liked it better than my 4th gen.

    People make fun of them now, but for the time they were actually very impressive. The '82 Firebird was the most aerodynamic car sold in America at that time, according to motor trend, and they were also one of the best handling too. I remember reading the old reviews, I used to have a stack of early 80's motor trends my uncle gave me. They were actually quite impressed with them when they first came out, and raved about the handling.

    Think about it: In the '80's some of these cars had factory 4wheel disk brakes, aluminum driveshafts, and engine oil coolers.

    The same year Mustangs had NONE of those things, and 4 lug wheels too.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    85

    Blue
    2000 TA

    Buy it and drop an LS3 in it.

  6. #6
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    No way, 3rdgens are awesome.

    One of my favorite 'Birds is the '89 TTA, and I'd love to have a GTA with a LS1.

    I used to have a 88GTA L98, I loved that car and I really miss it. In a way I liked it better than my 4th gen.

    People make fun of them now, but for the time they were actually very impressive. The '82 Firebird was the most aerodynamic car sold in America at that time, according to motor trend, and they were also one of the best handling too. I remember reading the old reviews, I used to have a stack of early 80's motor trends my uncle gave me. They were actually quite impressed with them when they first came out, and raved about the handling.

    Think about it: In the '80's some of these cars had factory 4wheel disk brakes, aluminum driveshafts, and engine oil coolers.

    The same year Mustangs had NONE of those things, and 4 lug wheels too.
    Yeah, and those "aero" wheel covers were part of that goal to make it the most aerodynamic car GM had ever built at the time.

    They fell off, broke, and were canceled in '84 I believe. They're hard to find now.

    Rare 80's technology. Why do I care? Guess because I grew up in the 80's and an '87 Firebird was my first car.

    This isn't something I would drive everyday, obviously. But I just have this serious urge to "collect" it.

    --

  7. #7
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,045

    Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

    There is nothing wrong with the 3rd gen. Buy it and throw in an ls.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

    BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

  8. #8
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Yeah, and those "aero" wheel covers were part of that goal to make it the most aerodynamic car GM had ever built at the time.

    They fell off, broke, and were canceled in '84 I believe. They're hard to find now.

    Rare 80's technology. Why do I care? Guess because I grew up in the 80's and an '87 Firebird was my first car.

    This isn't something I would drive everyday, obviously. But I just have this serious urge to "collect" it.

    --
    Not a bad idea.

    Its one thing to drive a beat ass 3rd gen with rust holes and beer cans in the back. But a mint conditon, all original car like that would be kind of cool to have.

  9. #9
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not a bad idea.

    Its one thing to drive a beat ass 3rd gen with rust holes and beer cans in the back. But a mint conditon, all original car like that would be kind of cool to have.
    +1

  10. #10
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Don't even need a LS motor. Find a 89 Aniversary with the Recaro seats and the GN Turbo six. Fast and lots of aftermarket parts for the GN should be adaptable

  11. #11
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    damn,just today i was thinking about how i should have bought my friend's 87 gta.i was black with a tpi 305,slow as hell (16.30 in the 1/4)but a great car to cruise around in.would be awesome with a ls1 or ls6.

  12. #12
    Member Cronex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    367

    Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    damn,just today i was thinking about how i should have bought my friend's 87 gta.i was black with a tpi 305,slow as hell (16.30 in the 1/4)but a great car to cruise around in.would be awesome with a ls1 or ls6.
    Not only would it look sexy, but also have balls to take on todays competition when needed.

  13. #13
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    yeah, i wish i could go back to 1997 and buy the gta.

  14. #14
    Junior Member Mastermindc3pro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    28
    Posts
    78

    burgundy
    1991 Pontiac firebird

    3rd gens are sweet, alot of fun to play with, i have one and my friend also has one. However their just hard to keep up on especially with the economy is so bad, hard to keep saving for parts, seems like always a step behind. I jsut replaced the distributor module on mine, fuel pump, and then a few quick fixes

  15. #15
    A friend of mine has a 00 T/A, when his son reached driving age he wanted one too but he was not about to put an ls1 in the hands of a kid so he bought him an 86. The son lives w/ his mom in the middle of nowhere and drives on alot of gravel roads so he made the mature decision to give it back to dad and get a truck. His dad (my friend) keeps it garaged and has started to restore it, I shake my head and tell him to make it the DD and park the 00, at least in the winter, or sell it and get a DD. He says no he wants to keep it and "collect" it, I say whatever. He also says 86 is the absolute bastard year, when he goes looking for parts there's a slew of stuff from 82-85 and 87-92 but no 86, so if you ever buy a 3rd gen stay away form 86.

  16. #16
    Junior Rocketeer jimmi7769's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Russiaville, Indiana, United S
    Posts
    186

    Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

    I read through this and thought, Man I'd love to have one of those Garnet GTA's with the gold wheels.

    And what do you know went to ebay and here one is.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318

  17. #17
    Homebrew Master irishpenguin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    leesburg, florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    572

    Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

    i had an 89 for 4 years and that stupid bitch always pissed me off. damn pass key security crap thingy. sometimes it didnt wanna start, so i'd have to wait 10 minutes and try it again. i loved it though........sold that bitch!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bridgewater, VA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    134

    Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

    Third gens rock! I bought an '87 T/A a couple years ago and fixed it up. Now it's sitting outside waiting for a new harmonic balancer...or rather waiting for me to have time to change it.

    I put a 4th gen rear end in it, 3.73's, Torsen, shaved handles and side markers, paint, etc, etc. I now have a LOT more in it thatn it'll ever be worth, and I want to sell it.



  19. #19
    $ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Waco
    Posts
    1,186

    2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

    Here it is, the answer to all of your dreams. A mint 1991 GTA code 8774 BRIGHT RED with saddle interior and only 64000 miles. I am the 2nd owner and the previous owner was a coworker's wife. This car is immaculate inside and out. It needs paint in the obvious spots from license plate mounting in 3 separate locations within inches of one another ( previous owner). Leather is perfect other than scuffing on driver bolster from exiting and entering the seat. No tears, holes, nothing. Has the 350 TPI with all the 245 h.p. it came with. Factory airbags as well. You talk of sexy this is my favorite year of all and I own several 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens!! $ 10K if anyone is seriously interested PM me.






  20. #20
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    Nice cars!!

    That '91 GTA runs strong. Best car GM made that year, IMO.

    How much you wanting to get for that '87, LT4Hawk?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what is your fetish?
    By blackbird0230 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
  2. If you have an Anime fetish....this is for you.
    By FSANE in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 07:53 AM
  3. Ok I admit it......I have a fetish for Miniguns
    By 91Z28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 08:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •