Thread: Help

Red
    2000 trans am

Help

Does anyone else have a problem with their turn signal sockets going bad? If so what can I do to keep this from happening all the time?

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

On my 2000, I've owned it for a year now, and for the first time, had to replace the right front turn signal lamp. When I pulled out the socket from the housing, the lamp socket was partially burned on one side from what looked like excessive heat. I have read on other threads where some have drilled holes in the bottom to allow moisture to drain out. This would also allow heat to leave as well. Perhaps drilling another hole or two in the top corners would vent heat out better. The other option I've read about is converting over to LED lights which put out absolutely NO heat. This option seems to present a bunch of headaches and many other things you have to add in order to get the LED voltages in range so that they will work as they are suppose to. I.E. electronic flashers, resistors etc. Many that I have read about put the LED's in, and find that they don't work, or that they will not flash, and as a result, they have to add a different flasher or a resistor, which to me seems like too much trouble. But of course, I have not had the parking lamps/DRL's/ turn signal lights go out on a monthly basis like some have. I can't see spending $15 on one bulb and then have it not work and have to spend more money on things to make that $15 bulb work. If I did have that problem of too much heat that was causing the bulb to burn out prematurely, I would probably drill a couple holes in the top corners of the lamp housing, two in the bottom, which would allow the heat to dissipate and see if it alleviates the lamps overheating. If it didn't fix the problem, then I would do research on the LED replacement fix....here again, my opinion....

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

We at AutoTrix are of the opinion the major problem is the gasket on the sockets shrinks up and lets water in.

Other people on this board and others have had Major issues with the lenses getting cracked and letting water in.

If your lens is fine but moisture is still getting in, pick up some of our DRL gaskets (Link is in the sig) and you will have no more problems.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've found most people don't find the real problem with the moisture getting in. I had repeated problems for 6 months with my left side DRL/turn signal, and fixed it by taking car of the crack on the TOP of the assembly. I thought I had it fixed when I put in a new bulb socket, only the next time I drove in the rain, water got in again and blew out my bulb again. So, I removed the lens assembly (easy to do, use a 7mm nut driver under the car, easy as getting to the bulb), and found the top to be cracked. I sealed it with some silicone sealer, and no problem now for several months. You do not want any water getting in the assembly, so I don't advise drilling holes anywhere. If your gasket on the socket is bad, you should either replace it or get a new socket assembly.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

well, if you lift up your headlights and take of the black plastic covers you can see down on top of the DRL,

there is a black rubber cap on the back of it that you can take off, it covers a tiny hole that lets enough heat/air out to prevent any problems.

mine was starting to get foggy on the inside and when i removed that cap it went away instantly, hasnt been back since

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I wasn't aware of the vent that was already there to alleviate some of the heat buildup....I guess that means that if our sockets are having signs of burning or charring, we need to go fast enough to keep the DRL's cool !!!!!!! Hahahahaha. Just kidding. I once accidentally hit a dog in a construction zone that ran out from behind a warning barrel, couldn't avoid hitting it, but in the process, cracked my right front DRL housing and for months, I had to replace bulbs due to water getting into the crack. Only after replacing the DRL housing, did it alleviate the continual bulb replacements. On my 2000, here recently, my right front DRL went out, and in the process of replacing the bulb, the gasket that seals the bulb socket to the housing was folded on itself and most likely allowed water into the housing. I replaced the bulb, which, by the way was a trick getting the bulb to seat all the way down in the socket without breaking the bulb and made sure the gasket/seal ring was straight and flat. No problems since.

Thread Information