Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Headlights are malfunctioning need help

This is a discussion on Headlights are malfunctioning need help within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So my headlights are acting very funny. whenever i unlock or lock my car my headlights pop up real quick ...

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Headlights are malfunctioning need help

So my headlights are acting very funny. whenever i unlock or lock my car my headlights pop up real quick and then down again and my drivers motor keeps spinning when its down for about 5 secs. does anybody have a clue where to start?

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

flip the gears in the motor 180 and it will be fine or put in brass gears. search on heres theres many posts about it

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    flip the gears in the motor 180 and it will be fine or put in brass gears. search on heres theres many posts about it
    +1
    Yep the plastic gear is worn out.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

i unbderstand the motor problem but why would both of my headlights pop up then down again whenever i unlock or lock my car?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

same reason. The plastic gear is worn out. I think it was explained once around here and i can't remember the exact reason. But believe it or not, fixing the gear will fix your headlight up and down when using the locks.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

i just saw the post on it... thanx guys for your help well now time to buy the parts

silver
    2000 formula

i was soooooo happy once i fixed mine........no more noise

Black
    2000 T/A Ram Air

Oddly enough, my car is doing the exact same thing. I was wondering since I am no mechanic, how much just to take it to dealer and get it fixed by mechanic.

black
    1995 transam

If you don't want to pony up the $$$ for the metal gears, you can get original type plastic gears at autozone. Go to they're website and do a search using 42400 as your search. Will lead to to the gears which are about $15 each. When you change the gear, make sure the motor and gear housing are firmly attached. There are 4 small metal tabs bent over, that tend to loosen up over time and cause gear to go bad. Not tightening these can even cause the metal gears to go bad.
    Last edited by cocobolo95; 07-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Just buy the brass gears. I bought my headlamp motor from Autozone and it crapped out on me just after 90 days! Don't waste your time on the plastic gears Brass is well worth the time and effort. Maybe 2 hours tops.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

the manuel raise and lower nut rubber boot

I have a 02 ws6 and it isnt as easy to get to that manuel raise and lower knob...it has a rubber boot over the top if I'm looking at the right knob. the hole that you have to reach into is not big enough for two fingers. Does this just pull off and how did yall get yalls off. then getting it back on is a good question after the rotation of 180 is done. please help

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by superman63 View Post
    I have a 02 ws6 and it isnt as easy to get to that manuel raise and lower knob...it has a rubber boot over the top if I'm looking at the right knob. the hole that you have to reach into is not big enough for two fingers. Does this just pull off and how did yall get yalls off. then getting it back on is a good question after the rotation of 180 is done. please help
    the rubber boot just pulls off, yes it's a tight squeeze, you can rotate it with one finger, it shouldn't be hard to turn.

if you have a set of these or anything similar, you can stick it into the top of the motor and rotate it, I believe the size is 1/4 inch if I remember right.

Last edited by justinmc978; 01-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

rubber boot

did you just pull it off with needle nose pliars and then how did you get it back on??? I dont want to tear it up if you know what I mean

1998 Trans Am

did you just pull it off with needle nose pliars and then how did you get it back on??? I dont want to tear it up if you know what I mean
    needle nose works, I didnt put mine back on, like you I found them to be annoying, and I don't believe they have a purpose, but it should slide right back over it, if not, the metal plate that you are trying to reach through comes off with a couple bolts, and will give you much more access.

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

what does that metal piece hold on the whole headlight assembly....I want to keep it all original and I guess it only having 11000 miles on it I want it like new....im kinda anal about stuff like that.....I guess when that side of gear goes then I could replace with brass and then put rubber back on lol
    Last edited by superman63; 01-23-2011 at 08:33 PM.

1998 Trans Am

heres a good video to help you, I completely understandthe anality when it comes to keeping things nice, no the plate does not hold in the headlight assembly.

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Install...ight_Gear/2024

so your car hasnt actually even broken the stock plastic gear then? I wouldn't even bother with it, heck mine has 130k and is still using the originals, just take care of them and they won't strip on you.

Black
    2002 Trans Am - Firehawk

Hey justinmc978,

Did you get that video off of my last post about it? That's the one I posted earlier today. Helpful...to a point. It is a bitch to do, but there is a satisfying feeling of doing it yourself. It's a tight squeeze!

SA

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

crazy thing

No I just bought this car and it only had 11000 miles ok but when I turned the alarm on the light flip up and down and make that god awlful sound so I got to reading and see that the gear stripped will do this...so i was going to do the 180 turn first and hopeful fix it for now and for awhile. what do you mean take care of it and it will last

1998 Trans Am

No I just bought this car and it only had 11000 miles ok but when I turned the alarm on the light flip up and down and make that god awlful sound so I got to reading and see that the gear stripped will do this...so i was going to do the 180 turn first and hopeful fix it for now and for awhile. what do you mean take care of it and it will last
    okay, yes the gear is stripped, I was under the assumption that with your low miles the gear had not broken yet, and you were just taking preventative measures.

when I say take care of it, doing stuff like opening and closing your headlights at a high speed will wear the gears out quicker, if there is snow or ice weighing the headlight down, opening them will definatly put strain on the gears, stuff like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information