Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Headlights

This is a discussion on Headlights within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i got a new motor at oreillys for $65, Dont want to mess with changing gears, lifetime warranty so pull ...

Silver
    2002 Trans am WS6

i got a new motor at oreillys for $65, Dont want to mess with changing gears, lifetime warranty so pull it back out and get a new motor.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

woah wait, O'Reilly's sells the motors for under $100???!!! Dude if thats true that is badass!

Silver
    2002 Trans am WS6

yes it is i got it today and put it in, works great. it was 65.99 with tax.

Green
    94 TA GT

Be careful to pay attention to the direction the bolts go in. If you mount them with the bolts in from the wrong direction, the mechanism will get hung up on the protruding bolt end and nut. Take a close look at each bolt and which side of the motor the nut is positioned on, and put them back in the same way.

I called OReily and the part numbers they gave me for a 2002 Firebird are:

49-124 (Right side)
    49-125 (Left side)

There is a $20 core charge on them as well, so I guess they are taking the old ones back and rebuilding them and reselling em. They also listed just a gear for the motor, not sure if it is metal or plastic though.

I also installed the metal gear kit from Rodney Dickman http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html and have been real happy with the results. This cost me about $80 to do both right and left sides, so it was cheaper than replacing the motors with the Oriely ones, and I don't know if the Oreily motors have metal or plastic gears in them. It took a few hours, but wasn't too hard. The back bolt is the only one that is hard to get to. A 10mm Crafstman box end "Gear Wrench" made it go a lot easier. You will have to struggle with the bolts whether you rebuild it with new gears, or just replace it, so it seems like the Rodney kit is a better value. Once I got the new metal gears installed, I let the epoxy on the cover cure overnight and then reinstalled them. I got the total kit that included the new metal support and new dampers as well. The metal supports help prevent the stress from the motor breaking the epoxy bond. I also used the cheaper aluminum gear. This is the second set of motors I have rebuilt with his kit.
    Last edited by Fred H.; 06-15-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    Be careful to pay attention to the direction the bolts go in. If you mount them with the bolts in from the wrong direction, the mechanism will get hung up on the protruding bolt end and nut. Take a close look at each bolt and which side of the motor the nut is positioned on, and put them back in the same way.

I called OReily and the part numbers they gave me for a 2002 Firebird are:

49-124 (Right side)
    49-125 (Left side)

There is a $20 core charge on them as well, so I guess they are taking the old ones back and rebuilding them and reselling em. They also listed just a gear for the motor, not sure if it is metal or plastic though.

I also installed the metal gear kit from Rodney Dickman http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html and have been real happy with the results. This cost me about $80 to do both right and left sides, so it was cheaper than replacing the motors with the Oriely ones, and I don't know if the Oreily motors have metal or plastic gears in them. It took a few hours, but wasn't too hard. The back bolt is the only one that is hard to get to. A 10mm Crafstman box end "Gear Wrench" made it go a lot easier. You will have to struggle with the bolts whether you rebuild it with new gears, or just replace it, so it seems like the Rodney kit is a better value. Once I got the new metal gears installed, I let the epoxy on the cover cure overnight and then reinstalled them. I got the total kit that included the new metal support and new dampers as well. The metal supports help prevent the stress from the motor breaking the epoxy bond. I also used the cheaper aluminum gear. This is the second set of motors I have rebuilt with his kit.
    Great price for new motors, but I'd be concerned they are rebuilding them with the same nylon gears and they'll strip again and then you're out all that money.

Silver
    2002 Trans am WS6

I am not sure how they are rebuilding them. All i cared for at the time getting it fixed with the warranty i dont care if gear or motor breaks/quits i will take it out and get a new one. Thanks Fred for the link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information