Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Headlight Wiring

This is a discussion on Headlight Wiring within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I actually just noticed mine are corroded a little too. Gonna have to go back in there later and rewire....

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I actually just noticed mine are corroded a little too. Gonna have to go back in there later and rewire.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Hard wiring as in soldering? Cutting the connector completely out of the circuit? I haven't looked at it in a while, but are the wires the same color on each side of the connector?

Your headlight actuator motor gears have stripped. You either need to buy a new headlight actuator motor from Autozone or replace the nylon gears with brass. Rodney Dickman has, in my opinion, the best kit on the market.
    The colors are not the same, so you will have to tg them before the cutting the connector out.

My issue isn't the gears. I replace both sides with the brass sets a while back. I think my motor is crapping out on me.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I have some good news on this. I was at the dealer yesterday and they have a bin with all kinds of pins for inside connectors. I was able to narrow it down to three that could work to replace the pin that broke. I don't think they have actual part numbers for these. Tonight I am going to try nad fix that pin and see if it works.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

You will most likely have to replace all of the pins, and definately both the male and female side. When I took apart my connector, the pins were intact. They were just so corroded, they wouldn't make contact. They are very brittle and trying to clean them will most likely destroy them.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I may be mistaken, but I thought the parts stores now carried weatherpack connectors for repairs like this. Granted, you would need to splice both ends into your harness, but it would maintain a removeable connection and still look fairly factory-ish.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Out of the three pins I had grabbed one one the perfect match. Was able to get it put into the conntector. I then spray electric contact cleaner on both connectors, took one of the other pins, which was the same thickness and length pin just a different connection to the wire and slid it into each of the female connectors just incase any corrosion had built up. plugged the connectors together and it works fine.

BLK
    00 Firebird WS6

On the same journey. Poor contact on the headlamp terminals was my problem. I twisted the headlamp contacts a bit (5-10 degrees) and voila, on reconnection, perfect function.

Blue
    05 Camaro

I realize this thread is five years old. However I would like to add my 2 cents on this. If you have terminals in a plug or wiring harness that have oxidized and not making contact, you can use a product called Ox Guard

Ox-Gard Anti-Oxidant Compound | Gardner Bender

It conducts electricity, so use sparingly. It has some grit in it so when you plug it back in, it makes bare metal. I had a plug on a controller that was going to cost some bucks to replace, not to mention a pan in the backside to do it. Used this and worked the plug in and out a half dozen times and it works like it supposed to now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information