Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Headlight Wiring

So about two months ago my passenger side headlight just stopped popping up when I turn my headlights on. Did some research on here and found that unplugging that plug and waiting a little while may do the trick. I also readiing tf that doesn't work try using unplugging it and spary it with electrical contact cleaner. Well unfortunately when I went to unplug the harness i noticed that one of the pins was so corroded it had broken off. My question is where is the best place to get the plug with the pins on it, or is it best to get both.

THanks for the help

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by kempfer99ta View Post
    So about two months ago my passenger side headlight just stopped popping up when I turn my headlights on. Did some research on here and found that unplugging that plug and waiting a little while may do the trick. I also readiing tf that doesn't work try using unplugging it and spary it with electrical contact cleaner. Well unfortunately when I went to unplug the harness i noticed that one of the pins was so corroded it had broken off. My question is where is the best place to get the plug with the pins on it, or is it best to get both.

THanks for the help
    I've been trying to find a new harness for some time now. I've decided to just solder and heat shrink the wires and be done with it. I will still be able to unplug from the lights themselves, so it really isn't an issue.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would stop by a dealership and get a part number then visit gmpartsdirect and get it there for way cheaper than a stealership.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I will check by the dealership for the part number

Red

Any update on this. I was S.O.L with my dealership, and was hoping you had better luck.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I have tried a few of the parts stores around but haven't had a chance to get to the dealer, will be trying tomorrow hopefully, but am leaning toward the soldering and heatshrink route. I also need to replace my passenger side window motor.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

www.gmpartsdirect.com Select Pontiac, agree, enter year make model. Then select front lamps or try electrical. It's kinda hard to tell what your needing because the part description is so vauge so a part number from gm would be very useful.
    Last edited by ICRAZY6; 09-01-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Also, my friend was having an issue like this and swapped the control modual (located on side of fuse panel) from my car to his to see if the control modual was the problem. Just throwing ideas out there. GL

Red

Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    www.gmpartsdirect.com Select Pontiac, agree, enter year make model. Then select front lamps or try electrical. It's kinda hard to tell what your needing because the part description is so vauge so a part number from gm would be very useful.
    Damn, vague is right. I THINK it's under front lamps, headlight components, connector. Not sure if it's 4 pin or 5. I'm thinking 4.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I could check but I'm already at the base and it's raining so I didn't drive the TA in. Oh, I'm not a spelling expert either.

Red

You shouldn't have said anything. I didn't catch the spelling error till you mentioned it...lol.

I'm trying to remember if the connector supplies current to the actuator, too. If that's the case it would probably be the 5 pin. I could be talking out my a$$ though...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Ive got a friend who's off work today and probably can go out to his car and let me know. I just need to know exactly which connector it is.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

guess what, His connector is corroded to. Looks like it's $28.11 for the 5pin connector.

Red

Yeah, the connectors are not a great design. They corrode very easy, and the pins are very brittle. Good to know it's the 5 pin. Thanks!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

No problem

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I was checking this price out from the dealership, and to get the full wiring harness attached to these connectors, you are looking at $1300.00. Unreal. I guess any weatherproof 5 pin would work, wouldn't it?

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I was checking for the dealer as well, the only 5 pin connector in the headlight assembly they couuld get was the femal for the module. Any 5 pin that looks like that with the same dimensions should work. I have tried looking in some salvage yards near me and no one had any Firebirds with the headlight wiring still in them. I am going to see about getting the connector repaired or just doing the soldering thing.

Red

I hard wired mine a few weeks ago. Wiring is fine, but now my freakin' headlight motor is whining and hanging up

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    I hard wired mine a few weeks ago. Wiring is fine, but now my freakin' headlight motor is whining and hanging up
    Hard wiring as in soldering? Cutting the connector completely out of the circuit? I haven't looked at it in a while, but are the wires the same color on each side of the connector?

Your headlight actuator motor gears have stripped. You either need to buy a new headlight actuator motor from Autozone or replace the nylon gears with brass. Rodney Dickman has, in my opinion, the best kit on the market.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I will have to check on the colors. You would think they would be.

Thread Information