Thread: Headlight stop?

White
    98 Trans AM

Headlight stop?

I have been as many T/A and FB owners, been fighting with headlight issues. First was the stripped gear so I got the metal ones. Worked fine for a while but now as some have mentioned my driver side light does not always go up. I saw some people mention something about a plastic stop or something that breaks off and that makes the light not go up / down. Looked around but really saw nothing that looked obvious. Anyone have a pic of where that stop is located...or where it should be? Thanks Ya'll !
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

It does not sound like a problem with a broken plastic stop IMO, the light cover would hit the bumper cover if it was broken, I would not think the stops would cause a open but a closing issue. You might want to lubricate the hinge points on the sticking headlamp; that is all I did to solve a headlight not popping up issue.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by my1973form View Post
    It does not sound like a problem with a broken plastic stop IMO, the light cover would hit the bumper cover if it was broken, I would not think the stops would cause a open but a closing issue. You might want to lubricate the hinge points on the sticking headlamp; that is all I did to solve a headlight not popping up issue.
    I agree. My stops are fine, but my drivers side headlight sometimes do the same. Haven't lubed 'em in a while, so I think I'll try that.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Unfortuently that is the down fall to the metal gear. I think it is just harder for the motor to turn so it makes the motor go bad eventually. I have the same issue with my 96t/a that got one of the motors gears replaced with the metal one. It just don't come up sometimes and you got to go pull on it or just try twice in a row. On my 98 I just did the rotate the gear trick and have not looked back. Since we are on the topic I think i'll offer some advice on these lights. Everybody complains about them, but I think its how you use them that breaks them. Ever get in your car and turn your lights in instinctly and immediatly slam the switch back off. Yeah that can't be good on that plastic gear. Also I NEVER turn mine on while i'm moving I figure the force of the wind slamming them up while your going down the highway can't be any good either.

Thread Information