BlueBird

Headlight problem

When I lock/unlock my car the headlights go up and when they go back down there is a very loud noise for 5 seconds or so. It sounds like a compressor recharging.

I know the lights are supposed to flip up like that when there is a problem. The last time, only one was popping up because the other motor was bad. Now they both pop up and then make this noise, which only comes from the driver's side. Could this still be the motor? Is there a good install doc anywhere for the motor?

White
    2003 Ram 2500

my headlights are doing that right now. but the drivers side goes down and the pass is staying up and i just hear the motor running. not sure if its stuck or the gear is stripped. havnt had time to take it apart doing that tom. anyone got any ideas on whats going on. let me know PLEASE

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

gear

I had that problem, u can listen to the motor and tell which side it is. It is most likely the gear u can fix it for free the first time. Just flip the gear 180 degrees put it back together and see if that helps things. If it doesnt then its time to buy a new light motor.

Red
    WS6 M6 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 1 badblack transam 01
    I had that problem, u can listen to the motor and tell which side it is. It is most likely the gear u can fix it for free the first time. Just flip the gear 180 degrees put it back together and see if that helps things. If it doesnt then its time to buy a new light motor.
    actually there is a better fix with a brass gear

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/

it will walk you thru the repair with either a new brass one or using the plastic one in the headlight motor.

when i did mine i found alot of corrosion on the head that connects to the gear. so i cleaned it out with brake cleaner holding it up and so any spray would not drain into then motor and repacked the assembly coating the entire internals so when i epoxied the housing back together if i was at all sloppy it wouldnt glue the motor inplace.

goodluck and watch the video a couple of times.....

White
    2003 Ram 2500

well i got the motor out come to find out the plastic gear has been replaced with the metal brass one already. but when the person glued the back back on it they didnt glue it right or good enough and my back is gone so the gear was just sliding out of the motor. so im guesing i have to go buy a new motor and then switch out the gears and glue the backing back on

BlueBird
    is there anyway to build/alter a better window motor? The problem with them is even more repetitive!

White
    2003 Ram 2500

well when to the parts stores first. well oreilys gave me a price of $70 but then they told me that they couldnt get anything cause GM must have pulled them off the shelves so i go to the GM dealership and the guy is like i can get u one here tom for $180 bucks. what does GM think its shit dont stink that they can jack the price up $110 bucks. all i need is the cover and im not paying $180 bucks for it. if any body has a junk one laying around and would sell it to me so i can have the cover that would be great.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

does any one have a junk headlight motor for a 98 up firebird i dont need it to work i just nee the cover off of it. someone has to have a junk one laying around.

Red
    WS6 M6 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by transam98
    well i got the motor out come to find out the plastic gear has been replaced with the metal brass one already. but when the person glued the back back on it they didnt glue it right or good enough and my back is gone so the gear was just sliding out of the motor. so im guesing i have to go buy a new motor and then switch out the gears and glue the backing back on
    I got mine at napa for 49 in kc with a 1 year warranty.......goodluck man

White
    2003 Ram 2500

advance auto parts cant get them and o' reilys cant get them either maybe i can try napa then. thanks

Autozone had them but they seem to be out of stock. I had the same thing happen to me, the cover came off. I ended up getting a used motor off of ebay.
    Chuck
    98 Trans Am
    86 Fiero GT

White
    2003 Ram 2500

autozone can get them for me but its $87 and i really dont have the money to go out and buy one does anyone have a junk one laying around mine is fine and still works i just need the backcover someone out there has to have a junk one laying around. thanks

Thread Information