Black
    99 WS6

Headlight gear help

So I just replaced the headlight gear with another plastic one...i know i know. I put everything back together but it still grinds when I turn the headlight off...any suggestions?

Black
    1999 Trans am

For every gear there must be anouther. Check it.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

mine still ground when i put everything back together, even though the worm gear was fine. then i put 3 zip ties on to help the glue hold the backing on and all was good.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

www.rodneydickman.com the brass gear kit is a very simple install and comes with a bracket to help hold the motor together.put a brass gear kit in my t/a and it works very well.

Black
    99 WS6

turns out the motor was loose from the housing and the screw would wobble around causing the gear to strip...beat the 4 tabs in to make it tight and guess i hit it too hard because now the motor is shot. freaking hilarious

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

if it ain't one thing it's another.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    www.rodneydickman.com the brass gear kit is a very simple install and comes with a bracket to help hold the motor together.put a brass gear kit in my t/a and it works very well.
    This kit is the best idea. I got brand new GM motors off Egay and I DO NOT turn on or off the lights while above 25mph. This will most likely solve the issue for many years to come.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    turns out the motor was loose from the housing and the screw would wobble around causing the gear to strip...beat the 4 tabs in to make it tight and guess i hit it too hard because now the motor is shot. freaking hilarious
    Lol, yeah the magnets in small electric brush motors dont take well to beatings. Jars the magnets which can break and the magnet pieces stick to the armature keeping it from turning. Or the magnet position keeper pops out of its seat and the magnets themselves become stuck to the armature. If you feel like it sometimes you can take the motor apart and reseat the magnets and keeper if the mags are'nt broken. If you've already replaced it, you maybe can use the old one as a spare if you can get it working again. As long as the brushes are'nt shot, magnets are good, and there's not a whole lot of armature in and out play. In most cases with fieldless magnet motors, as long as the armature windings are'nt burnt and the winding leads are still attached to the commutator they can be rebuilt easily. Dont cost a thing if everything is'nt busted up inside. Just remember to mark the bell position cause a 180* turn in the bell will make an electric motor change polls and run backwards. Sorry for the novel. Just a thought....
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-16-2009 at 04:45 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Lol, yeah the magnets in small electric brush motors dont take well to beatings. Jars the magnets which can break and the magnet pieces stick to the armature keeping it from turning. Or the magnet position keeper pops out of its seat and the magnets themselves become stuck to the armature. If you feel like it sometimes you can take the motor apart and reseat the magnets and keeper if the mags are'nt broken. If you've already replaced it, you maybe can use the old one as a spare if you can get it working again. As long as the brushes are'nt shot, magnets are good, and there's not a whole lot of armature in and out play. In most cases with fieldless magnet motors, as long as the windings are'nt burnt and the winding leads are still attached to the commutator they can be rebuilt easily. Dont cost a thing if everything inside is'nt busted up inside. Just remember to mark the bell position cause a 180* turn in the bell will make an electric motor change polls and run backwards. Sorry for the novel. Just a thought....

The motors are sealed housings and cannot be opened except for the gear area.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    The motors are sealed housings and cannot be opened except for the gear area.
    If it went together it will come apart regardless of how. I bet if I throw it off a wall it'll come apart lol.(also notice/see where I said sometimes)

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pontia...dlights-3.html

To the OP this link may help..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-16-2009 at 04:51 AM.

Navy Blue
    1998 Formula Firebird

those brass gear kits can also be ordered at autozone and oreilly's, if you can find an employee smart enough to use a paper catalog to find it. But thats wher i got mine after going through three of the plastic ones.

Thread Information