Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pajeff02
  • 1 Post By *JC*

Headlight door issue

This is a discussion on Headlight door issue within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I've got a strange headlight issue that I've been trying to figure out. It's not the actuator for that works ...

Bright Red
    '02 Firebird TA WS6

Headlight door issue

I've got a strange headlight issue that I've been trying to figure out. It's not the actuator for that works just fine. My dilemma is that the drivers side head light door is interment. It works just fine and will come up every time once it's opened the first time. However when the car sets for an hour or overnight, it sometimes takes 2 or 3 turns of the headlight switch to get it to open. Once it does it'll open every time after that until the car sets again for an hour or more. The actuator is fine as I said, so, is there some other thing that might be causing this and where do I look? I'm fresh out of ideas on how to find the problem.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Are you hearing a grinding noise? If so, you have a worn out gear inside the headlight motor. They are cheap plastic and wear out fairly quickly(I had the issue at 60k). You can find brass replacements online.

If not, and everything is put together properly, check the plastic housing around the lights. Over time, the one on my driver's side became slightly warped (again, cheap plastic). It periodically catches on the bumper which hold the light closed. I took mine off and spent some time reshaping it as best I could back to it's proper form. Doesn't happen as often now as it used to.
    I'm so quick I could spit in the wind, duck, and let it hit the old lady behind me!

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Check your ground screws which are located beside the headlights when the hood is open.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Almost does sound like a weak wire connection somewhere. If the grounds are tight and clean, pull apart your connectors and inspect them for corrosion. Also, the wires are unprotected around the headlights and it is possible you have some wear and/or partial breakage in progress.
    024mula likes this.

Bright Red
    '02 Firebird TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Almost does sound like a weak wire connection somewhere. If the grounds are tight and clean, pull apart your connectors and inspect them for corrosion. Also, the wires are unprotected around the headlights and it is possible you have some wear and/or partial breakage in progress.
    Yes, I finally found the issue. It was like chasing a ghost because it only did it intermittenly. Turns out it was one of the connection clips in the car side wiring harness. That's the second hole to do that on the same connector.

Thanks for your help and everyone else's contribution
    pajeff02 likes this.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Glad you got it fixed.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I'll check mine out. Tonight mine did the passenger lamp none-popup again. It has done it intermittent also, no snagging, no grinding sound. Light illuminates in the bumper. Happened in pajeff's driveway, he manually rasied the lamp and I went home. I first stopped at sheetz and shut the car down, passenger lamp closed with drivers side, and lifted up along with the drivers side when I left. Electrical gremlin.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

This, to me, is the biggest hit against the Pontiac compared to the Chevy... just one more moving part to break.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Thread Information