Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2002 ws6

head/cam question

How much will it cost for top of the line head/cam install for parts labor complete install cost me, looking for big duration very lopy cam sound not woried about driveability, not a dd. And the closest place around champaign illinois to do all of this

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Im paying a little over 2k
    With parts and tune

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cancam99ss View Post
    Im paying a little over 2k
    With parts and tune
    for heads, cam, and install????? That's definitely not the norm. A set of heads alone will cost you $2k+. It really depends on where you have the work done on the install costs. I bought budget heads and cam set up and I was out $2300 in just parts. Top of the line heads will be $2000-2500 by themselves then factor in probably another $600 or so for a cam kit. After that it just depends on what labor you get charged. I would guess you're looking at $5-6000ish for all of it installed. That's a guess.

Red
    99 Z28

Call Tony Mamo and you will be good to go.

red
    2002 ws6

who is tony mamo, and where is he located?

Red
    99 Z28

He is from AFR.. Do a quick google search of him and you will see how many people are satisfied with his work and the reputation he has.

red
    2002 ws6

There in new york, how hard will this be to do myself, easier to pull the motor?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

FLP and Speed Inc are in IL...Speed Inc being pretty reputable.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no.....you can do it with it all in the car. How mechanically inclined are you? LS1howto.com has a step by step write up on doing the swap. Pretty easy really.....just time consuming. Save you a couple thousand dollars though.

LS1Howto.com

red
    2002 ws6

i might do this myself, how do i pick a cam liking the videos on youtube of trex cams. Very lopy sound, how do i know what the difference in durations mean? Thanks

Black
    1998 Trans Am

dont forget a tune. Big cams need good tunes.

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    for heads, cam, and install????? That's definitely not the norm. A set of heads alone will cost you $2k+. It really depends on where you have the work done on the install costs. I bought budget heads and cam set up and I was out $2300 in just parts. Top of the line heads will be $2000-2500 by themselves then factor in probably another $600 or so for a cam kit. After that it just depends on what labor you get charged. I would guess you're looking at $5-6000ish for all of it installed. That's a guess.
    I actually just sent a set of 243 heads to get done at lingenfelter, got a ms3 cam
    Lunati springs and custom pushrods and of course ls7 maf and ls7 lifters! 42lbs injectors and tune

red
    2000 trans am

Hey man, Im in champaign urbana. I would do a little research on a cam like the "t rex" that cam is going to be a DOG under 3500-4k. you need at least a 4.10 gear AT LEAST IMO. that cam needs a good tune if you want to avoid surging,bucking etc. with a proper tune i think it could have decent street manners I know a guy that daily drives his in the summer and loves it so to each his own. Not dogging big cams at all just saying make sure you know what your getting into. imo i would go with something with less duration for the street lol

red
    2000 trans am

there are some dyno graphs on ls1tech i believe of some t rex cam only cars. take a look and see where the power comes on with that cam and it will pull to 7k plus. I wouldnt want to spin my stock bottom end that high at all to get all the potential outta my cam. Just saying. good luck with your cam choice. if your drag racing the car go for it but for street fun a big cam is not a budget way of going fast imo. m6 or auto?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you need to define your needs out of the car and then start narrowing the list down from there. Are you just gonna cruise around in the car and want it to sound fast or are you gonna take it to the strip and you want it to be fast? You can get a 224 or 228 cam on a 112 lsa that will have some chop to it and it'll drive great on the street. I personally would go a little bigger than the 228 if I had it to do over again but I wouldn't get into that trex range. I would do a 233/239 or something like that. That being said though I've been pretty happy with my 228.
    Last edited by 0rion; 01-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

also, what mods do you currently have and is the car a stick or auto?

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cancam99ss View Post
    I actually just sent a set of 243 heads to get done at lingenfelter, got a ms3 cam
    Lunati springs and custom pushrods and of course ls7 maf and ls7 lifters! 42lbs injectors and tune
    Forgot 410s

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

FLP is a good shop but they are VERY expensive. Straightline Performance in New Lenox is who I use for tuning and had them put my clutch in. I've never done anything remotely close to H/C and did the install myself in my garage with basic tools. With the help of LS1howto and guys on the forums it wasn't all bad, just wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon. With budget heads/cam and all the supporting mods like oil pump, TC, UD pulley, lifters, injectors and a tune I'm probably out $3000 - $3500. I'd probably guess an extra $1000 for install and another $1000 for premium heads.

Red
    99 Z28

I would NOT do a t-rex cam unless you plan on racing it and anything less than a 4.30 gear will be a pain to drive on street.. Believe me, been there done that

Also what is your budget? unlimited? tight? (3500 max) marginal (3500 to 5k?)
    Last edited by scott5; 01-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you need to define your needs out of the car and then start narrowing the list down from there. Are you just gonna cruise around in the car and want it to sound fast or are you gonna take it to the strip and you want it to be fast?
    answer this

Thread Information