Dark Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5spd

Question Has anyone removed the side skirts from their T/A???

Do they leave screw holes/glue in the bottom panel when they come off??

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

It should just connect to the frame underneath the car with those black plastic "push rivet" things. It shouldn't leave any marks but you'll be able to see the frame. It will look awful since the front and rear of the car would sit lower than the sides.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Red
    2000 Trans Am

They are holes in the rocker panels for the skirts... Its hideous but thats how i have to run mine until i find a new skirt and fix my one rocker.

Dark Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    They are holes in the rocker panels for the skirts... Its hideous but thats how i have to run mine until i find a new skirt and fix my one rocker.
    You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you??

The reason I ask is because I was curious as to how much work would go into converting a T/A into a Formula....and if you're wondering why would I do that?? It's because I always had firebirds and formulas and I kind of prefer that look to a T/A. But why not buy a Formula?? Because they didn't make Formulas in this color (not my car):

Resale value doesn't concern me and and I wouldn't be removing anything that couldn't be put back on. In any case I love that color and I figure that would be a lot cheaper than a full repaint!

Think something like this: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_02.html

green
    98 formula

this is correct i have the skirts they are red but in great shape shoot an offer plus shipping

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You'd have to do some painting anyway cause there was no yellow Formula rear hatch or front clip. Dumb idea to alter that car imo.

Dark Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    You'd have to do some painting anyway cause there was no yellow Formula rear hatch or front clip. Dumb idea to alter that car imo.
    Why would it be a dumb idea? I already said I wouldn't be removing anything that couldn't be put back on and that I'm not concered with resale....

In any case I don't worry, I don't own one, am a few months from away from doing anything like this, and found a WS6 Formula for sale in a color I like not to far away recently anyway
    Last edited by firebird1999us; 07-25-2007 at 12:06 AM.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am convertible

How many holes are there in total?

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by John Ceta View Post
    Cant tell ya off the top of my Head.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am convertible

Cant tell ya off the top of my Head.
    Can you give me an idea of what diameter the holes are? Forgot to ask before.

I really want to take the skirts off of my car for when I lower it.

Black
    2000 T/A

When I bought my TA the side skirts had already been removed. If you do it you'll want to fill all those rivet holes and repaint. I'd pop one side off and really look at it to see if you're going to like it. In my opinion the look doesn't really flow well with the TA rear bumper,thats why I'm getting new skirts asap. You may want to look at a firebird bumper cover (kind of a sleeper look if you do that)

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by John Ceta View Post
    10 Holes total

Dark Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer76 View Post
    When I bought my TA the side skirts had already been removed. If you do it you'll want to fill all those rivet holes and repaint. I'd pop one side off and really look at it to see if you're going to like it. In my opinion the look doesn't really flow well with the TA rear bumper,thats why I'm getting new skirts asap. You may want to look at a firebird bumper cover (kind of a sleeper look if you do that)
    Yeah actually that's what I'm getting at...a v6 front and rear bumper. How large are the holes? The size of a dry-wall screw or the size of a quarter?? Am I correct in thinking that the skirts re just attatched to panels that look like the v6 rockers?

Appreciate the info!

Black
    2000 T/A

No Problem. The 8 of the 10 holes are actually about the size of a tic-tac if you laid it on its side,the other two holes closest to the front tire actually did look like screws were used (the hole is about 2/3rd's the size of a dime). To my knowledge the rockers aren't really screwed in, it looks like they are just pushed in using the "rivet things" and should pop in and out. I guess whoever had my car before me was going for the same look you want because I also have a firebird rear bumper cover, without the skirts my ride looks like a firebird, other than the bigger rear spoiler and front bumper. Let me know if this answers your questions. Good Luck.

Dark Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5spd

No Problem. The 8 of the 10 holes are actually about the size of a tic-tac if you laid it on its side,the other two holes closest to the front tire actually did look like screws were used (the hole is about 2/3rd's the size of a dime). To my knowledge the rockers aren't really screwed in, it looks like they are just pushed in using the "rivet things" and should pop in and out. I guess whoever had my car before me was going for the same look you want because I also have a firebird rear bumper cover, without the skirts my ride looks like a firebird, other than the bigger rear spoiler and front bumper. Let me know if this answers your questions. Good Luck.
    Sure does! So basically the skirts pop on and off? Are the rivets plastic or do you mea real rivets that have to be drilled?

Black
    2000 T/A

Rivets is probably a bad term. They are just those V shaped fasteners that slide into the slots and sort of spread out to hold the skirt there.

Dark Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5spd

Thumbs up

Rivets is probably a bad term. They are just those V shaped fasteners that slide into the slots and sort of spread out to hold the skirt there.
    Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Black
    2000 T/A

No problem. If you get around to popping those off and decide to sell them let me know. Like I said I'm going in the other direction with my cars look. I need the skirts and a T/A bumper cover here in the next few months.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

inner wheel well has to be removed to remove the skirts Its not just a pull the skirts off job.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

ill happily trade my firebird front, rear bumper for any T/A front or rear bumper. Also trade the hatch to. And buy the side skirts off of yall. If anyone is going for firebird look.

Thread Information