Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harley or ws6

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Question harley or ws6

hey guys i was wondering what you would rather have? i have a 03 harley its on the vehicles for trade if you wanna see what it looks like. i ride mostly with my dad and his friends (i'm 16 turning 17 in nov there all 40) what would you rather do trade the bike for a ws6 and than buy a bike down the road (that's what dad did 7 years ago) or keep the bike and wait 2 years for the car? also i paid for the bike so it's all my choice not dad's we won't buy it for me just borrow the money than pay him back(no interest)
    Last edited by brendan.9; 10-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Black
    00 WS6

I'd get the WS6 and by another bike later.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I would get the car first because they are becoming more and more rare. Where as they make harleys everyday.

On another note, unless your hearts already set on it, I wouldn't get a Harley. Over priced, not cheap to fix and don't last as long as many of the competitors.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I would get the car first because they are becoming more and more rare. Where as they make harleys everyday.

On another note, unless your hearts already set on it, I wouldn't get a Harley. Over priced, not cheap to fix and don't last as long as many of the competitors.
    Have you ever owned a Harley?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

First of all you should buy whatever you want. Harley's hold their value far better than most domestic cars in fact they usually appreciate rather than depreciate. There's usually a waiting list for a "new" Harley meaning the new bikes are heavily sought after. Harleys' use needle bearings for connecting rod mains(crank can actually be taken apart), so the "they do'nt last as long as their competitors" does'nt hold much water. Also owning a Harley is not about just jumping on it and heading down the road. Most Bikers know they will have to work on their Harleys @ some point. That's kinda what owning a Harley is all about. If they are so bad why do their competion always try to copy their "V-twin" design? (Which is a patended design I might add) true v-twin motors are Harleys. Alot of Harley dealers have "used" Harleys in their show rooms.. People just think they are new cause they do'nt know what they are looking @..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-21-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

i already own a 100 annivsary low rider i have the bike drove it this year but wanted some opinions on what is more fun? i'm tuning 17 in nov. and last year of school. i would trade on a ws6. but want some opinions on what is better. and like i said i only ride with my rents

White
    02 WS6

I have both...well...I ride a Victory, not a harley...but still fits the bill. Since both are not really an option...I would go with the car. I'm not a fair weather rider by any means...as long as it's safe...I'll ride as long as it's above 35-40 degrees....I see you're in Canada....'nuff said for me...LOL. Good luck w/ w/e you choose.

dale

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Have you ever owned a Harley?
    Been through 2 of them and know lots of people who have owned and many who still do.

My 1983 Honda has out lasted them both, maitenance costs wise. I have only had to replace choke cable and speedo cable on the honda since I've owned it, not one Harely owner (that has a bike that old with milage to match) I have ever met can say that. To even see a Harley on the road that is that old around here is an extreme rarity. (and I'm not saying the don't exsist)

I agree, they hold their value better than most bikes, but that shouldn't be the reason you buy one.

I was only expressing my opinion on them. Your experience obviously differs from mine. I was just pointing out there are alternatives, that are cheaper with similar characteristics of a Harley.

Black
    1999 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Been through 2 of them and know lots of people who have owned and many who still do.

My 1983 Honda has out lasted them both, maitenance costs wise. I have only had to replace choke cable and speedo cable on the honda since I've owned it, not one Harely owner (that has a bike that old with milage to match) I have ever met can say that. To even see a Harley on the road that is that old around here is an extreme rarity. (and I'm not saying the don't exsist)

I agree, they hold their value better than most bikes, but that shouldn't be the reason you buy one.

I was only expressing my opinion on them. Your experience obviously differs from mine. I was just pointing out there are alternatives, that are cheaper with similar characteristics of a Harley.
    That was the best rebuttal to an attempted attack ever.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

get the ws6....chicks wont ride the harley in the rain.

NBM
    2002 pontiac Trans Am Ws6

dude get the ws6...i have a 2002 ws6 trans am and i raced a harley bike and beat it lol..plus the ws6 is way better looking than a harley

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by MistrCreazil View Post
    That was the best rebuttal to an attempted attack ever.
    Trust me no real attemp was made.. Stating facts is'nt an attack..
    He answered my question and nothing more really. Did'nt explain why (if they are so bad) the bikes are highly saught after, have a waiting list for new ones, hold their value, and why their engines are often copied but never duplicated.. You have a nice day now..

White
    2002 ws6, 70 Road Runner

I got both and don't really know which one i would really give up..I have a 2002 Dyna Wide Glide that i ride the hell out of since i bought it new...but it is nice to pop the t-tops out of my 02 ws6 and cruise on nice days...Girls love both..so i guess i am no help at all sorry.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

The fact that you posted the question on ls1.com and not a bike forum you have already made your choice

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Trust me no real attemp was made.. Stating facts is'nt an attack..
    He answered my question and nothing more really. Did'nt explain why (if they are so bad) the bikes are highly saught after, have a waiting list for new ones, hold their value, and why their engines are often copied but never duplicated.. You have a nice day now..
    Missing my point, again, the maintenance is expensive. Look up prices on any random part and compare.

And to "answer" your questions, being saught after if opinionitive. I have 3 Harley dealerships near by and I can drive away on any model that day. Just because they are low in stock on certain models in your area, is because they don't produce a ton of them. So it's your opinion they are highly saught after, not a fact.

Waiting lists doesn't necessarily mean there is a high demand, it can mean there are limited number of models made. This doesn't mean your wrong, but it certainly proves you aren't right.

If holding their value means people charge nearly as much for them used as when they are orginally purchased, and buyers actually pay that price. Then I agree with you, there are people who do that.

Having the best v-twin is also opinionitive (if even a v-twin is the best motorcycle motor), I understand you think it's the best, but that doesn't make it true. That's up to the OP to decide what he thinks is best.

Anyways, to restate my opinion alittle more focused on the actual subject: I would find your self a WS6 first, as everyone else has stated. Look this over before you buy one. Harley's are all over, they aren't a dying breed, and obviously they prices aren't going anywhere, so you can pick yourself one up later one.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

lets drop the whole flame war thing we're tryin to start here... some like harleys, some don't. This here's LS1.com.... and I, for one, think a T/A is better than any bike. Why? Road head. You're a young kid too and I know my deal with the rents is no bike til i'm 30 but right now I have a WS6 that's stalled, tuned and a helluva lot of fun. Nothing like wasting time with mods. Bikes are a lot of fun too I'm sure but with a WS6 you get more options, more stuff to screw with. It's also a lot less likely to spill your guts all over the road somewhere, more fun at the drag strip, and very likely faster - especially with a few mods.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The reason i never wanted a harley came after all the problems my dad and friends and uncles had with theres. Yet everytime i buy a bike they still try to convince me to get a harley. When i ask them why i should get a harley if they cost more to own and purchase they usually say yeah but its all about heritage. Im all for heritage if the heritage is truely the best buy out there.When my dad had his last harley back in the late 90s he had a 80 somethign kawisaki 750 cruiser as a second beater bike, we ddint change the oil for a good 8 years(about 15kmiles) until right before he sold it and it still started and ran liek a top.

To the OP you asking for people opinions on a ls1 site. Its gonna be ls1 biased just like if you asked the same question on a harley site i would expect the response to be mostly harley positive. IMO i got into bikes because i sold my fast cars for some reasons, now that im almost out of debt i cant wait to sell my CBR and get another ls1 car.

Question to the OP, have you ever driven a f-body? If you havent that would be a good way to know if you would even like it. try and auto and a manual
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-23-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

ya i test drove one once it was an auto i loved the feel even though it was rain and i was talking it easy. my harley one thing o love about it going down the main drag of town with my loud pipes and hammer it. it's such a hard decision whether to trade it off on a ws6.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    ya i test drove one once it was an auto i loved the feel even though it was rain and i was talking it easy. my harley one thing o love about it going down the main drag of town with my loud pipes and hammer it. it's such a hard decision whether to trade it off on a ws6.

Well this trade is all opinioned based, in your opinion which oen will you like more and have more fun with, the only person to answer that question is you.

IMO harleys sound like crap and i cant stand when they fly around at the highest rpm or like my bald ass neighbor does at 3 am on his way home from the bar waking my sick daughter. He said he wouldnt do it again when i told him to stop that shit but that doesnt take back the 3 hours of lost sleep because she wouldnt go back to sleep. A v8 sounds much better than a loud ass v-twin IMO

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The reason i never wanted a harley came after all the problems my dad and friends and uncles had with theres. Yet everytime i buy a bike they still try to convince me to get a harley. When i ask them why i should get a harley if they cost more to own and purchase they usually say yeah but its all about heritage. Im all for heritage if the heritage is truely the best buy out there.When my dad had his last harley back in the late 90s he had a 80 somethign kawisaki 750 cruiser as a second beater bike, we ddint change the oil for a good 8 years(about 15kmiles) until right before he sold it and it still started and ran liek a top.

To the OP you asking for people opinions on a ls1 site. Its gonna be ls1 biased just like if you asked the same question on a harley site i would expect the response to be mostly harley positive. IMO i got into bikes because i sold my fast cars for some reasons, now that im almost out of debt i cant wait to sell my CBR and get another ls1 car.

Question to the OP, have you ever driven a f-body? If you havent that would be a good way to know if you would even like it. try and auto and a manual
    Off topic from the OP...so my bad...but I did already give my opinion...so I wanted to get on this one. My wife rides a Harley, and I ride a Victory. I love Harleys....seriously, but HERITAGE IS WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER! There are better bikes w/ better warranties for the money. However, you can't touch the history, clubs, paraphernalia, etc. that's what they have to offer...which is EXACTLY why my baby bought one.

Once again, good luck w/ your decision,
    dale

Thread Information