Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Handling

This is a discussion on Handling within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; what are you guys running on your car and how do you like the set up?...

what are you guys running on your car and how do you like the set up?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    I wouldn't say it is that hard to be corrected, you just have to really know your car.

Disclaimer - I do not know my car that well yet.. but I am anxious to get this bad boy sideways in a parking lot, just so i can learn to control the fishtail, without the tires grabbing and throwing me the other way.

But yeah if you wanted an Autocross car, you probably should have gotten a STI, EVO, miata, MR2 Spyder, something like that.

If you wanted RWD monster. You have picked the perfect car.
    I agree you have to know your car or rwd for that matter. I tried to do a 180 on the highway from a 5 roll and i overcorrected twice. I kept it on the road but there was a lot of jerking. I do this a lot cuz pavement is so much different then screwing around on gravel or even in the rain. i let my cousin do it and it was so freakin smooth when he did it. He never even drove my car before. He's only 20 but he says he's had a lot of practice. I can get sideways in the rain and stuff but on dry pavement....it's usually not pretty. I can always keep it on the road, but it's always very jerky.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by transamterror View Post
    I would kinda worry about the bag popping. I would feel better with coilovers or coil springs.
    the bags are very strong no worries they are basically just smaller versions of the ones on big trucks I would love to try a set............ now I just need a volunteer from the crowd to give them to me

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

not so sure about the bags, but I'm running a Sub Frame connector right now. It made a big difference when I turn quickly and keeps the swap minimal. Next is some sub frame connectors. check here in the sponsors forum, and also ebay cause it has some cheap stuff if you can catch it. My T/A has the WS6 package, which is just suspension, and traction control. I turn it off if I'm going to drive nuts. but the suspension is really good in my opinion. I'm sure there is much better aftermarket though.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    not so sure about the bags, but I'm running a Sub Frame connector right now. It made a big difference when I turn quickly and keeps the swap minimal. Next is some sub frame connectors.
    You lost me.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    You lost me.
    me 2 ??

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Your talking about SFC and then you next get some SFCs lol.

Give him a break hes only trying to help. Lets forget about what he said. He probably ment something else.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

rwd is awesome on a road course, and its exactly like any other car, you have to prep the suspension to handle cornering and to keep the car planted coming out of the turn. all of this rwd isnt for autox is crap in my opinion. look at scca racing. the field is swarmed with trans ams and camaros, not to mention numerous other rwd cars. all the handling issues of an f body are remedied just like any other car. thicker sway bars, double adjustable shocks and springs, lower control arms, blah blah blah.

sure awd has a bit of advantage but if you were to autox or road course an f body you would already have a good bit more power than most of your peers. with a good setup your ability to kick out the rear end and compensate will actually yield faster lap times.

the weight is an issue but the f bodies arent grossly nose heavy. hell the ls1 is all aluminum. i think for being primarily set up for drag and having a live axle my camaro handles pretty well at the limit. you just have to know when and how much gas to give it and when to oversteer to correct it.

wheres SOW at on this subject????

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    rwd is awesome on a road course, and its exactly like any other car, you have to prep the suspension to handle cornering and to keep the car planted coming out of the turn. all of this rwd isnt for autox is crap in my opinion. look at scca racing. the field is swarmed with trans ams and camaros, not to mention numerous other rwd cars. all the handling issues of an f body are remedied just like any other car. thicker sway bars, double adjustable shocks and springs, lower control arms, blah blah blah.

sure awd has a bit of advantage but if you were to autox or road course an f body you would already have a good bit more power than most of your peers. with a good setup your ability to kick out the rear end and compensate will actually yield faster lap times.

the weight is an issue but the f bodies arent grossly nose heavy. hell the ls1 is all aluminum. i think for being primarily set up for drag and having a live axle my camaro handles pretty well at the limit. you just have to know when and how much gas to give it and when to oversteer to correct it.

wheres SOW at on this subject????
    Honestly I would love to go out for a full day and have someone really teach me how to control this beast in an autocross. I think it would be benifical in emergency situations, and make parking lots, and left and right turns a lot more fun.

RWD is definately for Autocross - if you have a great handling car. If not you need to build one.

I mean some of the old Caddys are RWD but that doesn't make them good for the road course or autocross

For the Fbody - you need to build a great handling car. Other cars previously mentioned are already Awesome handlers.. I.E -- EVO, sti, Miata (don't laugh) and the MR2 Spyder. Sure there are several more. but you get the point.

The Fbody could beat these, if the other cars were stock, and the Fbody was heavily moddified -- but I thought we were comparing cars stock/ vs stock.

PS it's okay if the Fbody isn't the best out of the box at everything guys,, let's don't pretend we have the have the ultimate car in all aspects straight from the factory.

green
    98 formula

Honestly I would love to go out for a full day and have someone really teach me how to control this beast in an autocross. I think it would be benifical in emergency situations, and make parking lots, and left and right turns a lot more fun.

RWD is definately for Autocross - if you have a great handling car. If not you need to build one.

I mean some of the old Caddys are RWD but that doesn't make them good for the road course or autocross

For the Fbody - you need to build a great handling car. Other cars previously mentioned are already Awesome handlers.. I.E -- EVO, sti, Miata (don't laugh) and the MR2 Spyder. Sure there are several more. but you get the point.

The Fbody could beat these, if the other cars were stock, and the Fbody was heavily moddified -- but I thought we were comparing cars stock/ vs stock.

PS it's okay if the Fbody isn't the best out of the box at everything guys,, let's don't pretend we have the have the ultimate car in all aspects straight from the factory.
    I think I will keep pretending now bow to the great f-body god

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

C'mon... dude... we aren't all dunder heads... I mean... we ALL know that the F-Body is no good on them ROCK CLIMING events... LOL

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    C'mon... dude... we aren't all dunder heads... I mean... we ALL know that the F-Body is no good on them ROCK CLIMING events... LOL
    lol

Pewter
    2000 z28

this is all fine and good but i said in my post many times that you have to do the same things to an f body you would have to do to any other car to make them a contender on a road course. i dont pretend. my camaro isnt all things to all people. i had a 1990 eclipse gsx that could take a turn easily at 70 mph with virtually no body roll. it would definetely out handle my z.

however i can almost guarantee if i concentrated on suspension as in camber and pinion angles and lca's and torque arms and so on that my z could hold its own on a road course.

just because f bodies have a history in drag racing doesnt mean they cant be prepped to race and contend in other events. look at an sti for example. they handle very well and run pretty respectable lap times. do the right things and they could contend at the drag strip. it all depends on your goals.

the way i figure it is:
    an sti is all wheel drive and handles very well. it has a decently sized turbo that puts a decent amount of power to the wheels, nothing special. it has a 6 speed gear box with gearing for low end, which it lacks being a 4 cylinder. the gears keep it in its powerband pretty well, but again it doesnt have a whole lot of torque. its brakes are good and its steering is pretty neutral (a good thing).

an f body that is setup for road course could easily come out of the turn alittle slower but easily put lengths on the straight away against the sti because of all the power down low. you stay in a lower gear through the turns as it is, and the ls1 is a monster down low and up top.

this is all just an opinion. take it how you will.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

After doing a bunch of mods to my suspension with good tires I can pull over 1 G in turns. I think that should do good on a cone course. The F-body can be set up to handle corners very well. I think the factory was more set on making it a comfortable ride than a corner carver. It's not that hard to fix the problem.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Your talking about SFC and then you next get some SFCs lol.
    STRUT TOWER BRACE! Typing while drinking = BAD!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    STRUT TOWER BRACE! Typing while drinking = BAD!
    now...that makes more sense...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Strut tower brace did nothing for my car.

Black

Really? I don't even know what kind mine is, I think it's BMR, it's just the simple bar with 2 bolt sides.

Pewter
    2000 z28

those strut tower braces are a waste of gd money. it may make a tiny bit of difference but personally i think theyre a crock of shit. ive been down that road and i consider it lost money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information