Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

GTO vs. WS6

This is a discussion on GTO vs. WS6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; 06 GTO 6.0 Is this an option as well?...

maple red
    2000 trans am

06 GTO 6.0
    Is this an option as well?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by wanna_lS1 View Post
    I really think the gto will look bad ass once I put the 05-06 hood on it cuz it looks plain on the outside but in person is a nice car..so what's the difference build wise in a gto and a ws6?? Suspension rear end etc??
    The GTO has independent rear suspension, and a better transmission than the F body cars. Some people hate IRS mainly for drag racing reasons, and the GTO does have a lot of wheel hop but it can be corrected. I thought my GTO looked badass with the 18" factory wheels. Doesnt hold a candle to the WS6 looks wise, but I liked the fact that no one knew what it was.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ive gotta say a gto done right looks pretty bad ass imo especially debadged and dewinged. But if I were you a 6.0 gto with decent miles under 90k can be had for 13k about and since the gto is heavy the ls2 brings it up to par more with an fbody for power....plus u get a better platform to build off of.

T/A=LOTS of Vagina =X

Dark Blue
    98 Trans Am =]

Yea i can't do a 06 ls2 costs me waaay too much for insurance haha it's sucks but I gotta settle with a ls1

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by wanna_lS1 View Post
    Yea i can't do a 06 ls2 costs me waaay too much for insurance haha it's sucks but I gotta settle with a ls1
    LS1=346 CI
    LS2=364 CI

18 CI is not that big of a deal, you are not settling too much. The LS1 and LS2 have plenty of potential. I have both and am a happy man!

Scott

T/A=LOTS of Vagina =X

Dark Blue
    98 Trans Am =]

Haha yea but my insurance is screwin me in the ass right now!!!! Grrr ls2 is like sooo much more expensive hahaha

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    LS1=346 CI
    LS2=364 CI

18 CI is not that big of a deal, you are not settling too much. The LS1 and LS2 have plenty of potential. I have both and am a happy man!

Scott
    the 06's are quite a bit nicer than the 04's though....just little things. Brakes are better, rims are nicer, split exhaust, nicer looking tail lights, and a couple other minor things. Major thing......the LS2's can use the L92 heads. If you have the finanacial means then jump all over the LS2.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the 06's are quite a bit nicer than the 04's though....just little things. Brakes are better, rims are nicer, split exhaust, nicer looking tail lights, and a couple other minor things. Major thing......the LS2's can use the L92 heads. If you have the finanacial means then jump all over the LS2.
    Not to mention a ls2 can be stroked to a 402/408 and a ls1 can only go 383 right?

Ray Charles blue

Its not JUST the seats in the GTO. Its not having that HUGE bump in the floors, the cheaper feeling doors, dash, console, and overall fit and finish of the interior. The doors shut and dont make clattering noises, and the layout is nicer and more upscale looking. The F-body interior is ok but its not near as nice as the GTO and its not just the seats.

06 has a few things. NON functional hood scoops, different tail lights (ricer looking black ones), the doulbe exit rear (both have duel exhausts 04s just exit out one side), the 06 has a door lock button, and the LS2. The brakes on the LS2 cars are pretty much just C5 brake rotors and pads....but they will bolt over to the LS1 cars.

The 18s I think were an option in 05 and 06. Oh and just to say, the 18s dont lay down as fat a contact patch as the 17s.

QUite a bit nicer? Dont think so........very few differences. One thing is the LS2 is drive by wire and LS1s are not. Some prefer one over the other.

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Well take it from an old man.

Stay outta debt if at all possible.
    x2 from this old man. If you can find a way to be happy with your '98, just keep it. For the price of a new car, you can do a lot of sprucing up of the '98. Plus the '02 will feel basically like the same car. I never understood the GTOs, so I can't comment on them.

Jim

1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

I'd go GTO in a heartbeat.. you already have an f-body so why not broaden your horizons and get something different. It's nice to have a few different cars and have a different driving experience in each one.
    1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS
    2007 Cobalt SS- daily driver
    1986 Z28 383 stroker 4.56's
    1989 Crx-Si
    2001 F-150 4x4- winter DD

black with silver
    2001 pontiac trans am ws6

go with the ws6. 1 reason more rare to see around, and 2nd reason gto's are too common and just look like a grand prix with a body kit.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I have Dart Stage 3 heads for my GTO, the 243 will probably end up on the T/A.

Scott

2001 T/A Firehawk

I say build on what you have. Option two would be to buy the ws6. Btw, trans am seats are not like the Camaros (which is my only complaint about the maros), they are actually very comfy, even for long trips. I am assuming it's not the seats but rather the general layout and over all fit and finish of the GTO's interior that you like so much. Over all the GTO is more comfy, but frankly-a little boring on the outside imo.

2001 T/A Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by samuraidonkey View Post
    I'd go GTO in a heartbeat.. you already have an f-body so why not broaden your horizons and get something different. It's nice to have a few different cars and have a different driving experience in each one.
    This makes sense too, since the op is fairly young. I didn't consider that really. Personally my first fbody was a 95 T/A M6, never looked back lol.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by hutcher04 View Post
    go with the ws6. 1 reason more rare to see around, and 2nd reason gto's are too common and just look like a grand prix with a body kit.
    There were only something like 35000 GTOs produced, WS6's were around 8,000 a year after 98-99. GTO's are a little more rare because they were only around for 3 years. They realy arent that common.

2001 T/A Firehawk

Yeah I don't see them much up here really. But maybe that's because they don't stand out like a WS6 does? I find many people think my hawk is brand new? I am often asked what it is by younger and older folk alike. C5 s are a dime a dozen on the other hand 'round here. Gotta love the vettes though
    Last edited by Oddwraith; 03-03-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: speeling :P

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Oddwraith View Post
    Yeah I don't see them much up here really. But maybe that's because they don't stand out like a WS6 does? I find many people think my hawk is brand new? I am often asked what it is by younger and older folk alike. C5 s are a dime a dozen on the other hand 'round here. Gotta love the vettes though
    Yeah my next car is gonna be a C5 or C6 Z06.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by hutcher04 View Post
    Body kit? If you look the GTO has ZERO bolt on "body kit" parts. The only thing is the wing on the back. Show me a newer 2-door grand prix that they look like? lol They are far from common as well. I think there were roughly 40k of them made over 3 years.

Depends on what the OP wants though. If I was building a drag car....WS6, if it was a car to modify and use as a daily driver I would take the GTO. Both cars are great.

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Yeah my next car is gonna be a C5 or C6 Z06.
    I wouldnt even mind a C6 Z51! But the C5Z is amazing as well. The C5Z is still a hell of a deal now.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Oddwraith View Post
    Over all the GTO is more comfy, but frankly-a little boring on the outside imo.
    yep and it looks like a Grand Prix . and they're heavy.
    I vote WS6

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information