Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

grinding 3rd gear?

When I shift at lower RPMs, right around 1500 to 1900 RPMs, i grind going into 3rd gear and only 3rd gear. I dont really know why because when I shift at higher RPMs it shifts just fine with no grinding. Right now for a quick fix I just make sure to shift over 2000 RPM into 3rd. Any info on what this could be would be helpful. I do have a Pro 5.0 shifter if that makes a difference.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

very likely syncros...very commen problem as ive read on here..my 99z28 used to do it all the time in 3rd and 5th and somtimes 6th.....i got used to skipping 3rd and 5th unless i was racing .....can either get it fixed or just try not to let it bother u

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

yeah man i had that problem except mine was grinding in 3rd and 4th. It was my syncros, and as soon as i got it fixed it, there was no more grinding! But I also went ahead and replaced my clutch kit.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

how much money are we talkin when replacing the syncros? and will it hurt anything if i just let it go

Replacing your syncros can be very expensive! The money it would take to have your trans torn down for just one part could allow for a new manual swap!

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

sounds like i just need to try to live with it

Black
    1998 Ws6 Trans Am M6

Interesting, my car seems to be developing the same problem.

Black
    1998 Ws6 Trans Am M6

Only seems to do it when I shift fast, if I shift a bit slower it doesnt seem to do it.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I would recommend just living with it. Might as well drive it till it breaks.

I would like to point out that our transmissions 2nd and 3rd gear are not designed to be used unless during hard acceleration. If you read your manual it actually states this.

I only use 2nd and 3rd when I'm on it. 1st-4th-5/6th all the time. Of course sometimes there is no way around putting it in 2nd around a corner or something,

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I would recommend just living with it. Might as well drive it till it breaks.

I would like to point out that our transmissions 2nd and 3rd gear are not designed to be used unless during hard acceleration. If you read your manual it actually states this.

I only use 2nd and 3rd when I'm on it. 1st-4th-5/6th all the time. Of course sometimes there is no way around putting it in 2nd around a corner or something,
    And its ridiculous. Why make a MANUAL TRANSMISSION when it is built to use like an auto? I dont know if they half-assed the 2nd and 3rd gears because of gas saving lovers, but if they did, what a couple of bums....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

gnomee; site your source? that sounds retarded. Skip shift is only there for emissions purposes.

The t56 in 98-2000 models is made with weaker, carbon synchronizers. The 01+ models have brass synchs. [I found this out from tremec, the transmission manufacturer]. it should cost roughly 1500 to rebuild with better shift forks and brass synchs.

Also, the 98-00's have shitty clutch/hydrolic systems. I bet your slave cylinder isn't doing it's job therefor your getting the grind. I suggest replacing the slave when you get a new clutch.

yes, if you granny-shift 3rd @ such low rpms, yer gonna grind, the mating and timing is all out of wack and the synch's just can't do their job; hence the reason it feels more solid at 2k and above. You might benefit from a fluid flush and fill in your tranny.

Good luck.
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 12-28-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Black
    1998 Ws6 Trans Am M6

Thanks for the tips.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    gnomee; site your source? that sounds retarded. Skip shift is only there for emissions purposes.

The t56 in 98-2000 models is made with weaker, carbon synchronizers. The 01+ models have brass synchs. [I found this out from tremec, the transmission manufacturer]. it should cost roughly 1500 to rebuild with better shift forks and brass synchs.

Also, the 98-00's have shitty clutch/hydrolic systems. I bet your slave cylinder isn't doing it's job therefor your getting the grind. I suggest replacing the slave when you get a new clutch.

yes, if you granny-shift 3rd @ such low rpms, yer gonna grind, the mating and timing is all out of wack and the synch's just can't do their job; hence the reason it feels more solid at 2k and above. You might benefit from a fluid flush and fill in your tranny.

Good luck.
    thnx for the info. My slave cylinder was replaced by the car dealership right before i bought the car 5,000 miles ago because someone had test drove it and messed it up so i think it should be fine for awhile. I dont drop the clutch much at all. The only time i would cause any real wear would be the last two races ive been in and thats it. I dont do any burnouts anymore I got that out of my system with 93 A4 formula.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

then i suggest not granny shifting anymore, melba toast

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Ive been having to granny shift for the last couple of weeks because apperently im public enemy #1 in my lil town. Somethin about how i drive What makes me mad is the fact that the cops are NOT catching me its this stupid crime stoppers thing in my town where people call the cops to "stop crime" and get "rewards". Im in the city's police computer several times for ''noise'' complaints and "speeding" complaints even tho Ive NEVER been pulled over by a city police officer. How shitty is my town to pay people to do the cops jobs? AND I dont speed in the downtown area, its on the outskirts of the city limits that connect to the county roads which have a speed limit of 55. Small towns are a joke, we need some real crime I guess.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Downshifting or upshifting?

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

upshifting

Black
    1998 Ws6 Trans Am M6

Yeah, upshifting.

God fifth is being such a bitch.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post

I did site my source. The Manual. Page 2-38 to be exact. I also said nothing about skip shift.

There is no reason to bash me and call my statment retarded. Especially when you are wrong. You could have maturely disagreed.

Your statement about the weaker carbon synchros is exactly what not designed for means. They made them weaker and only intended you to use them when racing and to stick with 1st - 4th for daily driving since they engineered it around having skip shift make you shift that way.

I agree that they should have spent the extra change and made it a beefy tranny.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think they tried to save a buck and put in shotty materials; like sarge says "bean counters" make the decisions. i didn't see that you had sited it. sorry man. good arguement in all honesty

Thread Information