Page 1 of 14 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green Hell

Red
    98 Trans Am

The Green Hell

Anyone ever race or driven the Nurmberg Ring? Im in Germany right now and when i heard you could pay for a few laps around a 12mile race course, i was definatly interested. Im stationed in Bamberg so im real close to it. Anyone ever race a Trans Am on it? I would have put this tread in Road Racing, however.... NO ONE IS IN IT. theres one thread in it.
    This would definatly give me a chance to test out the new exhaust and maybe a tune if i can get it done soon.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'm pretty sure you'd have to make reservations for it and it would probably be a few months before you could get in...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Yeah, theres a whole bunch of things going on at it right now. The Pros are using it for the most part for the seasone right now up until Sept. But there are a few days inbetween the weeks and whatnot.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Yeah, theres a whole bunch of things going on at it right now. The Pros are using it for the most part for the seasone right now up until Sept. But there are a few days inbetween the weeks and whatnot.
    i'd go and ask how long the waiting list is... it's probably goingot be expensive as hell...

Red
    98 Trans Am

actually they have somewhat low rates for a few laps. I think its about 80 dollars for like 2 or 3 laps. Its in euros so i gotta look at the rates again.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

actually they have somewhat low rates for a few laps. I think its about 80 dollars for like 2 or 3 laps. Its in euros so i gotta look at the rates again.
    i wonder if they'll let you do the full track???

Red
    98 Trans Am

I dont know yet. All i know is I REALLY want to do that last back stretch THeres a youtube video of a New ZR1 doing it and it did it in 7:26. It got up to 189 i think before it had to slow down before the last turns. That has to be kinda scary.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I dont know yet. All i know is I REALLY want to do that last back stretch THeres a youtube video of a New ZR1 doing it and it did it in 7:26. It got up to 189 i think before it had to slow down before the last turns. That has to be kinda scary.
    if you do you need to get video!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I'm sure you wouldn't be the first Trans am to run the green hell.... but you would be a member of an elite few that's for sure!

I drove the 02 WS6 around the ring on Forza 3. the game does a pretty decent job at simulating our cars. The ring was challenging but the car can certainly handle it. Give me a list of your mods and i'll set up my WS6 like that in the game. My lap times seem to run very slow on Forza vs GT4 on the Nurb. but perhaps you can get a feel for what the car may be capable of.

Just don't expect anything near 8 minutes lolol

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ill definatly try and get a video of it. Ill duck take my camera on my dash if i have to lol
    As for my mods to my car I got Long tube headers, 3" y-pipe and flowmaster muffler, Strut tower bar, LCA's, PHB, Stock coils and shocks for now, Ill be running either 245/45r17 Continental Extreme DWS or Kumhos. Its auto. Hope that gives you a bit of how it might play. And trust me. I dont plan on being anywhere near 8's for my car lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

id be very very very very careful on the ring...mind you there is a reason it has that nickname...it is very hilly/curvy and the pavement is odd. i dont know if i would feel comfortable bringing a stock suspension and brake f body there. you will be heavy on the brakes most of the time and braking on uneven surfaces ..which will lead to huge brake fade and possible caliper splitting ( a very real issue for f-body and c5 vettes that road race) and also lead to the suspension becoming unbalanced ..that is a lot to ask of a stock suspension/brake set up and for a your car...if you loose it you are screwed out of a car. what are your suspension mods ?

also just to let you know..if you do decide to run it on the ring...MAKE SURE!!!! you put in some thicker race oil..dont run it with 5w or 10w.

also a fyi i personally imho wouldnt run my car yet with my mods until i added to that a tq arm, balanced rim set up (17x11 on all corners) redue my braking system( better cailpers and larger rotors, SS lines, at least hawk pads, dot5.1 fluid or at least 4 (dont run dot5) )

just saying man be safe..the long straight is a very cool thing..but remember there wont be anyone there telling you when to brake so you need to make that decision on your own and well you get the point.

id do at least 3-4 laps ...the first 2 laps will more than likely be your slow(getting used to the track ..figuring things out( might be good to get yourself a friend to ride co-pilot so he can take notes and help you guide through ..aka turns coming up, speed/gear you should be going, braking point ) this will take likely 2-3 runs alone...then the last lap would be a all out run.

98' trans am

Torco SR-5 or Valvoline VR1 20w-50 is a good investment with oil..also make sure and add 1/2-1q of oil extra.

you will thank me later

just to give you a little bit of background. i have been wanting/planning on getting into RRing with either a new f-body(m6 of course) or a vette (m6 of course) in the future...so i have read up on some things to keep in mind.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I'm not sure I follow you on adding more oil than is called for. Overfilling oil causes the crankshaft to splash the oil in the pan and foam it up. Foamed oil is a crappy lubricant and can cause starvation quicker than being 1/2 qt low. Unless your enging is burning a TON of oil I don't see 48 miles of driving... even if that driving is hard. burning enough oil to be a big concern.

I may be wrong though. Can you elaborate on the reasoning for adding more?

I should also add that there are rules when driving on the ring on public days. It's not just a drive the balls out of your car free for all. I also believe that the start/finish line is ON that main straight. They do that just so they won't have the public going 180mph on the track. Remember you won't be running a flying lap at the nurb. You will start from a stop on that main straight and you will slow to a stop on that straight in between each lap you buy. This is not like Forza or GT where you will run 4 consecutive "hot" laps.
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 07-20-2010 at 07:43 AM.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    Can you elaborate on the reasoning for adding more?
    sure on the ls1 filling it with 7qts doesnt come up to the relief cast into the oil pan for #6 rod cap. Once you factor in the capacity of a filter and what is channeling through the motor, there is plenty of clearance.

awhile ago i was searching on tech on the subject and mitchntx posted some pictures of 5-7qs in the pan level. 6 q didn't even reach the top of the bosses where the factory windage tray bolts. so clearance is not a issue. GM engineers also recommend over filling in high G, high duration driving like hpde.

another thing to remember about the ls1s stock is that they consume a good deal of oil..in a RR setting some have reported 1q+ of consumption in 10-20 minutes.

also one of the reasons serious RRs run accusumps with 3q or more extra capacity

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

consider me enlightened!!! TY sir!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Torco SR-5 or Valvoline VR1 20w-50 is a good investment with oil..also make sure and add 1/2-1q of oil extra.

you will thank me later

just to give you a little bit of background. i have been wanting/planning on getting into RRing with either a new f-body(m6 of course) or a vette (m6 of course) in the future...so i have read up on some things to keep in mind.
    nah... just a dry sump!!!

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

DOOO IT! You only get so many chances to do awesome things in life and since youre there, it was meant to be

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    nah... just a dry sump!!!
    only a 2k investment

98' trans am

i see the OP has a 98 block also just like me ...meaning that the oil passages in the block is less than stellar ...im just letting you know ..be very careful and keep a close eye on your oil situation.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    id be very very very very careful on the ring...mind you there is a reason it has that nickname...it is very hilly/curvy and the pavement is odd. i dont know if i would feel comfortable bringing a stock suspension and brake f body there. you will be heavy on the brakes most of the time and braking on uneven surfaces ..which will lead to huge brake fade and possible caliper splitting ( a very real issue for f-body and c5 vettes that road race) and also lead to the suspension becoming unbalanced ..that is a lot to ask of a stock suspension/brake set up and for a your car...if you loose it you are screwed out of a car. what are your suspension mods ?

also just to let you know..if you do decide to run it on the ring...MAKE SURE!!!! you put in some thicker race oil..dont run it with 5w or 10w.

also a fyi i personally imho wouldnt run my car yet with my mods until i added to that a tq arm, balanced rim set up (17x11 on all corners) redue my braking system( better cailpers and larger rotors, SS lines, at least hawk pads, dot5.1 fluid or at least 4 (dont run dot5) )

just saying man be safe..the long straight is a very cool thing..but remember there wont be anyone there telling you when to brake so you need to make that decision on your own and well you get the point.

id do at least 3-4 laps ...the first 2 laps will more than likely be your slow(getting used to the track ..figuring things out( might be good to get yourself a friend to ride co-pilot so he can take notes and help you guide through ..aka turns coming up, speed/gear you should be going, braking point ) this will take likely 2-3 runs alone...then the last lap would be a all out run.
    Trust me I will be taking the first few laps very easy. As for suspension I have UMI STB, LCA, PHB, and 2 point SFC. I have 17" AT Italia Rims with 247/45ZR17 Continetals DWS on it right now. I have a set of Kumhos on standby. Those are a true summer tire.
    As for Oil, Right now i have 5W30 Penziol Platinum. Ive always put a half to 3/4 more oil of oil. Ill go with a thicker synthetic and a better Braking Fluid. Right now, i dont even know what i have in there. A mix of stock and replacment S&S stuff. Royal Purple in the Auto Trans.
    I wonder if you can load a TOMTOM with driving instructions for it lol Technicaly Nurmbergring is on public roads, at least some of it. Im gonna get new brakes anywho. I have Hawks Pads and Drilled and Slotted fronts right now. But im gonna get D&S rotors all around and get new Brake pads too soon.

Page 1 of 14 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information