Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

The Green Hell

This is a discussion on The Green Hell within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by c5z28 As soon as you play with caster or camber the toe is affected. Just what I ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    As soon as you play with caster or camber the toe is affected. Just what I have been told by my teacher, and what I have seen doing alignments.
    well that will be fixed when I do an alignment but the main thing messed with are caster and camber. im still gonna do the tie rods again though.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Now just waiting on Swaybars, PCM, MAF, stall, tranny cooler, trans gauge, and UMI trans mount.

ALso a how-to has been posted on K member and A arms in Suspention section.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 03-05-2011 at 01:22 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you have some old tires to drive to the shop on that would be best. Once a tire has been feathered it never goes away unless they cut it. I'm being anal but having seen some people's tires I can't help it.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well im back for a little bit, might have to go back but i got a few things in the mail. Got the new 85mm GM MAF, some new brake pins, tires (still gotta pick them up) and (GASP) my new Frost tuned PCM

Now i had a question, ive got everything installed on my car EXCEPTED the stall that the PCM is tuned for, will this affect drivablity much or will it be ok until I get the stall installed? I know i gotta disccont the battery and install everything anyway which will force the car to relearn everything.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Track time

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    id be very very very very careful on the ring...mind you there is a reason it has that nickname...it is very hilly/curvy and the pavement is odd. i dont know if i would feel comfortable bringing a stock suspension and brake f body there. you will be heavy on the brakes most of the time and braking on uneven surfaces ..which will lead to huge brake fade and possible caliper splitting ( a very real issue for f-body and c5 vettes that road race) and also lead to the suspension becoming unbalanced ..that is a lot to ask of a stock suspension/brake set up and for a your car...if you loose it you are screwed out of a car. what are your suspension mods ?

also just to let you know..if you do decide to run it on the ring...MAKE SURE!!!! you put in some thicker race oil..dont run it with 5w or 10w.

also a fyi i personally imho wouldnt run my car yet with my mods until i added to that a tq arm, balanced rim set up (17x11 on all corners) redue my braking system( better cailpers and larger rotors, SS lines, at least hawk pads, dot5.1 fluid or at least 4 (dont run dot5) )

just saying man be safe..the long straight is a very cool thing..but remember there wont be anyone there telling you when to brake so you need to make that decision on your own and well you get the point.

id do at least 3-4 laps ...the first 2 laps will more than likely be your slow(getting used to the track ..figuring things out( might be good to get yourself a friend to ride co-pilot so he can take notes and help you guide through ..aka turns coming up, speed/gear you should be going, braking point ) this will take likely 2-3 runs alone...then the last lap would be a all out run.
    Why more oil and thicker well I assume because of the heat so should we chage oil for the 1/4 mile track. I ve been asked to go at Shubenacadie Track down in NS 1.6m only 11 turns so It makes me wonder why the changes

Thanks

Red
    98 Trans Am

So i plugged in the new MAF and tuned computer. Cars bucking like an untamed bronco but its learning. Not trying to push it too hard until i get the new stall in and the car learns to drive itself again... oh and an alignment lol

Oh and for you guys that are looking into aftermarket MAFs... DONT.

I closly examined the 85mm MAF and the Delphi GM 85mm (escalade) MAF and it took me a good second to find the difference.... THEM SOB's from SLP use stock GM truck MAFs, solder a resistor inbetween two of the sensor tubes, and slap an SLP stickers over the Delphi logo. So all in all, if you payed for an SLP MAF (i didnt by the way lol) all your paying for is a resistor soldered (poorly mind you) to some of the tube.

SO if any of you guys were like me and were wondering why people tell you to save your money on better bought stuff listen to them. Now i never bought mine, it was given to me so i didnt bite the bullet on $200s for it, but I now am glad that i never did buy it.
    Your paying for a sticker and a resistor to trick your computer into leaning out your car for $200... DONT DO IT!

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

I am so jealous but I am happy someonje can do it

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    LOL im gonna do it. I gonna order my 8lap ticket for some time in September.

Im looking at getting the CTS-V brake up grade and some UMI swaybars. Since ill need bigger rims anyhow, for the bigger calipers and rotors, it will give me an excuse for new rims. Ive been wanting some ZO6 Rims for my car for awhile and that will give me some better traction for wider rear tires. And whileim under there, might as well put some swaybars in there huh lol And shocks and spings to boot. I need some new shocks anywho. The originals are starting to die on me. the rears mostly.
    So hows this sound for a combo

CTS-V 04-07 / ZO6 Brembo front break upgrade
    Stainless Steel lines (got to anyway for the upgrade)
    Z06 18" Rims
    Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs
    KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks
    UMI Front and Rear Swaybars
    UMI TA with Tunnel brace and DS loop

(KONI and Strano, I KNOW! but those eat up so much money) I DD my car so I need it AFTER i have fun
    Your car will be a bomb after good for you now I can't wait to see the video and chat on this subject

Red
    98 Trans Am

lol thanks, my list of mods has deviated SEVERLY since then though lol But i still intend to get CTS-V 4Piston calipers one day. I got ahold of some other 17" rims so i went that route for now. I compromised and got some used Konis work great still compared to my completely usless old decarbon shocks lol
    ls6 intake manifold
    LS6 Valley cover w/vent
    Ls6 steam tubes and blocks
    New style KS harness
    LS Knock sensors
    EGR/AIR block off?
    vision motorworks 80mm throttle body
    SLP lid and smoothe Bellows
    3pin to 5pin MAF harness
    GM LS 85mm MAF

Tuned PCM from frost
    Spare PCM for tuning
    145 amp truck ALT mod
    MSD plug wires
    NGK tr6ix

UMI RR K-member
    UMI 2pt Subframe connector
    UMI tunnel brace with loop
    UMI Trans Relo Mount
    UMI Upper A arms Poly
    UMI Lower A arms poly/roto
    UMI Adj PH rod
    UMI Panhard relocation bar
    UMI Adj Torque Arm
    UMI Torque arm bolts
    F/P LCA Relocation braket
    new upperball joints
    Prothane Poly motor mount bushings
    BMR hollow sway bars 35/22
    Vogtland 1.2" lowering springs
    Koni sa 4/4 shocks f/R (used)

ls1 to C5 brake bracket
    C5 D/S Front Rotors
    Hawks HPS Pads f&r
    Russel steelbraided brake lines
    New wheel hubs
    Kumho 295/35ZR17 XS
    Kumho 275/40ZR17 SPT

revmax 3200 TC Stage 5
    B&M Trans cooler kit
    Shiftglo trans temp gauge
    speedinc Gauge adaptor
    SFI Flexplate
    ARP flexplate bolt
    ARP torque convert bolts
    WIX Trans filter

OBX LT headers
    LLP Ypipe with HF cats
    80series Flowmaster

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

hmmm pretty light on the power mods and a TON of supporting hardware... I like it!!!!!

I wish I had the time and money to do all this. I started and have 2 seasons of mods behind me but so much of this stuff is on my wish list it's crazy

I've only done.

UMI 3 point SFC's
    UMI adjustable LCA's with rotojoints at the axle and poly at the chassis
    Strano Springs
    KYB AGX's
    energy suspension poly end links
    Drag Bags in the rear springs
    Monster stage 3 clutch and 28lb billet flywheel
    Tick adjustable MC and remote speed bleed line
    UMI strut tower bar
    SLP lid
    Fernco coupling in place of a smooth bellows (only 6 bucks lol)
    Spohn Solid engine mounts
    poly trans mount.

I think that's the list for now. I'd love to finish off the suspension and drivetrain like yours. only instead of the PHB i'm more interested in a Watts link. When you study the geometry of the two methods you see the inherent advantage enjoyed by the watts design. It's pricier but people who have em swear by em

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    hmmm pretty light on the power mods and a TON of supporting hardware... I like it!!!!!

I wish I had the time and money to do all this. I started and have 2 seasons of mods behind me but so much of this stuff is on my wish list it's crazy

I've only done.

UMI 3 point SFC's
    UMI adjustable LCA's with rotojoints at the axle and poly at the chassis
    Strano Springs
    KYB AGX's
    energy suspension poly end links
    Drag Bags in the rear springs
    Monster stage 3 clutch and 28lb billet flywheel
    Tick adjustable MC and remote speed bleed line
    UMI strut tower bar
    SLP lid
    Fernco coupling in place of a smooth bellows (only 6 bucks lol)
    Spohn Solid engine mounts
    poly trans mount.

I think that's the list for now. I'd love to finish off the suspension and drivetrain like yours. only instead of the PHB i'm more interested in a Watts link. When you study the geometry of the two methods you see the inherent advantage enjoyed by the watts design. It's pricier but people who have em swear by em
    Ive actually been looking into the Watts link, but i had already purchased the Panhard and support befor hand so Ill hold off on that until i do a rear end eventually. One day Ill pony up for a watts link. I also want to do a Carbonfiber Drive shaft if i can find one.

I do recommend you reconsider looking into Konis, even if used. I went this route getting used Koni 4/4s and spent about $600 for all 4 shocks with less then 5000 miles on them. Car handles 100x better then the stock decarbons. If your gonna stricly go drag setup, Id still go with at least Bilsteins as a contender. I havnt run AGX's but i havnt heard as many good reviews as ive herad not good reviews lol. I perfer AutoX and Road Racing to Drag but even then if your car sees more then 100 miles a month with lots of Daily driving then I would get shocks that at least are comfortable. Konis are adjustable and handle lowering springs WAY better. I have Vogtlands, simular to Stranos and it was night and day difference between stock and Konis with the springs. The stock shocks couldnt even begin to manage the lowring springs. Then the Konis went in and I got back some ride heighth after that which i liked cause the stock fronts were saggin baddly.
    So needless to say, go Konis or at LEAST bilsteins for better ride quality.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Ride height is determined by springs not shocks. Was just tested on this today

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Ride height is determined by springs not shocks. Was just tested on this today
    not entirely correct..shocks can adjust height...on the konis you have a top perch location and a lower perch setting that will drop the ride height by .5 of an inch

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    not entirely correct..shocks can adjust height...on the konis you have a top perch location and a lower perch setting that will drop the ride height by .5 of an inch
    That was in the back of my head posting that, that's what I get for not using the disclaimer

Red
    98 Trans Am

That was in the back of my head posting that, that's what I get for not using the disclaimer
    lol sorry thats kinda my fault too. I didnt input that info with the Koni Shocks. THe Top Perch setting actually gave me alittle more clearance compared to the stock Decarbos by about an 1" with the Vogtland springs installed. Its still lowered but it isnt as "slammed" as before which made me happy after installing the Konis.

But for SCHOOL purposes yes, ride height is mostly determined by Springs.
    ON a rare occasion the Shocks, Spindals, Lower A-arms, And even swaybars can effect ride height as well but overall, springs do most of the work.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 03-23-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

looking at the Schedule and so far im looking at around the last week of april/first week of may time frame for a Ring Run. So far the schedule is pretty empty for it and hopfully the weather stays like it has been clear and sunny.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I wonder if there are any 4th gen ring times out there.... i've never tried to find one. running all out on decent tires i'd say low 8's is quite doable....

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Subbed. Cant way to see this thing on the 'ring.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Maybe this will get the blood going..lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o&feature=more_related[/ame]

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well i got word from my wife that a big long box came in the mail, so im guessing that my swaybars have FINALLY made it. Its only been since Jan 31st since i ordered them and should have been in by the 24th of FEB... and now its april... kinda pissed. fortunatly ive been too busy to worry about it but still. I managed to order, wait, recieve, AND install my UMI RR K-member before i got these and I ordered the Kmember mid feb.

Oh and im back to looking around for a rearmount turbo system might have fuond one for a REALLY good deal. Might need an intercooler system for it but other than that its complete. Its not an STS so its already better lol and its running a T70.
    Im getting stuff together slowy for it. Id REALLY love to get one of those oilless comp turbos. Thats the bees neezs right there. If those are as reliable as they say, im all over that like a fat kid on hoohoos and sprinkles
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 04-02-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well the swaybars are in, the frontend has been aligned, and the reartires are on the way. Gotta say im pretty happy with everything. Still gotta do the stall to complete the transformation, but already i can tell this thing handles AMAZING. the stock ways were tiny compared to the new BMR 35/25 set up pics will follow soon. still busy with work so i gotta get in where i fit in for installs. this weekend im thinking of doing the stall, cooler, gauge, and mount. hopefully. would really like to step on the gas with out the stock stall hamstringing the car. the tune is set up for a 3200 stall and the car really doesnt want the stock stall in there anymore lol

OH and i piced up some 18" rims form some guy with tires for really cheap. pics wil follow. gotta get pics of the rims i just finished, and then the rims that i just got yesterday and then see what they look like. Now that i have 18" rims i can look into CTS-V or Z06 calipers and rotors
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 04-14-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information