Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

got my magnaflow put on

This is a discussion on got my magnaflow put on within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Can the kooks true duals hook up to tsp headers? Ive heard so many conflicting statements on what they will ...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Can the kooks true duals hook up to tsp headers? Ive heard so many conflicting statements on what they will connect to with no issues. The 2500 came from if I had to do a full kooks system headers back. And 1500 plus miscellaneous stuff still adds up fast when I can start with the a basic system and have it fully customized for less then a grand.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Can the kooks true duals hook up to tsp headers? Ive heard so many conflicting statements on what they will connect to with no issues. The 2500 came from if I had to do a full kooks system headers back. And 1500 plus miscellaneous stuff still adds up fast when I can start with the a basic system and have it fully customized for less then a grand.
    I don't know if it can, what type of connection do TSP headers have at the collector? Is it a slip fit or a flange style? If it is slip fit it is likely they will fit since that is what Kooks are.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-21-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

white
    2000 trans am

since where talking exhaust my friend had taken off his cats and also did a y pipe the car already had flow masters on it now with the extra exhaust flow it blew out something in the mufflers making it sound very raspey sound.people are telling him its a common problem.idk

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by jodmari View Post
    since where talking exhaust my friend had taken off his cats and also did a y pipe the car already had flow masters on it now with the extra exhaust flow it blew out something in the mufflers making it sound very raspey sound.people are telling him its a common problem.idk
    Sounds like the baffles in the muffler broke. Also taking the cats off of certain systems will make it sound much more raspy which is another possibility as well.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-21-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Flowmaster mufflers utilize a series of internal baffles. Magnaflow mufflers have a perforated pipe core and a glass mat packing.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jefff82 View Post
    i got my muffler installed on Monday ad I have to say im a lil disappointed. it does sound better but sounds like a lot of stock ss and trans am's on the internet. Found a smoking deal on a lm2 system. how much louder than my magnaflow muffler would it be. the muffler sounds good just a lil quiet for me.
    My WS6 came with a Magnaflow when I bought it. I actually thought it was the stock muffler until I got it on a lift and examined it closer. Don't get me wrong, it did sound good for what it was, but it was just extremely to quite for my taste.

I eventually ended up ditching it and running a straight pipe set-up(basically a LM system, but with no resonater at all, and a piece of pipe where the muffler originally was)in its place, while still retaining dual exit outlets with my original dual/dual tips. I love it!

The sound difference is night and day. It's noticeably louder both at idle and of course WOT, even with stock manifolds and my stock y with cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Badass WS6 View Post
    I eventually ended up ditching it and running a straight pipe set-up(basically a LM system, but with no resonater at all, and a piece of pipe where the muffler originally was)in its place, while still retaining dual exit outlets with my original dual/dual tips. I love it!

The sound difference is night and day. It's noticeably louder both at idle and of course WOT, even with stock manifolds and my stock y with cats.
    Ha, the only way you get away with that is the fact that you still have your stock manifolds and stock Y with converters in place.

If you would have went the other direction and installed headers and off road Y and left the magnaflow in place, you may have been very pleased with the sound, and pick up some HP to boot.

If you removed the cats now, you'd be looking for a muffler to put back on that thing pretty quick Or the noise police would be following you around.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I have a Magnaflow catback on my Formula, and I get wood every time I start it up.

Yes, it's not loud at idle, but when it sounds amazing when you get on it IMO.

It's exactly what I wanted in terms of sound. It sounds mean when I want it to, but I can be quiet when rolling by cops and I can have a conversation in the car while doing 80 on the highway.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on it too.

Just add a cutout to it for when you want to be obnoxious.

Oh, and I bought mine used (with e-cutout installed) so I can't speak to it getting louder over time.
    pajeff02 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information