Got a Firehawk Question

Hey everyone Got an RPO question. I looked up the Stickies and I know what the codes for the WS6 are but couldn't find anyting on the firehawk. Found one for sale and the guys says it has the WU6 RPO code which is the code for the Firehawk, can any one confirm that?
    Doc

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Doc View Post
    can any one confirm that?
    I will. If you checked the 'WU6' option in the dealership back in the day you were indeed buying a Firehawk.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

SS = WU8 RPO Code

WS6 = WS6 (crafty huh) RPO Code

Firehawk = WU6 RPO Code

RPO code list can be found on the inside of the DRIVERS side door where it latches. IF you dont have an above code you dont have a real SS/WS6/Firehawk. SS/Firehawks with SLP options will have the options list code on the Passenger inside door pannel. If you dont have that list it means you just have a regular SS/Firehawk w/o SLP options.

SLP made the SS until " " when GM started building them inhouse. ASC did all the WS6 conversions and SLP did all the Firehawks.

Differences from WS6 and 'Hawk

Looks and OPTIONS yes, gears no. All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. All that were ordered as 6-speeds (m6's) came w/3:42's. WS6's, Firehawks, and regular birds wheather T/A or Formula share identical drivetrains an LS1 350 coupled to a M6 or A4 tranny. As far as looks goes? That's in the eye of the beholder. The Firehawks have a little more than looks over the WS6's which is mainly options and rarity. Firehawks came stock w/3" intermediate exhaust w/dual-dual tips. WS6's on the other hand came w/2.5" intermediate exhaust w/single-single exhaust with the exception of the '98 WS6 which had single left side exhaust. Firehawks also came with a slightly different designed 5-spoke wheel which you could order in 2 different finishes: Stock flat aluminum gray, or Option triple-chrome plated (real chrome) not a high polished aluminum like WS6's. Now to the hoods. Firhawk hoods are functional Ram-Airs as well as the heat-extractors (located on top corners of the hood) just a different design. Hawk hoods are more of a composite 1-piece that is designed specifically to fit with the front facia of the Hawk. WS6 hoods are a composite 2-piece hood which is just a regular Firebird hood with 2 air inlets molded to the top, thus giving that 4 nostril look. This hood can be bolted to any regular Formula or T/A bird without any fitting problems. Unlike the Hawk hoods which must be fitted with the slightly different designed front facia of the Hawk. Now, everything I just mentioned to you was standard equipment for Hawks. What really separated the two were the extra SLP options that were available for Hawks which were:

-Firehawk embroidered floor mats
    -Bilstein Suspension '99-'02 or 1LE '01-'02
    -Specific triple-chrome plated Firehawk wheels
    -Lower rear-deck SLP spoiler which were standard on Anniv. Hawks

Thanks for the info Guys really appriciate it. I was kinda wary of this one cause the car is priced pretty low in the 13K range with only 33k miles on it. Well heres hoping that it is still around when I get back into the states in a couple of weeks but I doubt it.
    Doc

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I thought WU6 was for the Camaro SS ?

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I thought WU6 was for the Camaro SS ?
    close, SSs are WU8. it can be confusing.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

[QUOTE=

Looks and OPTIONS yes, gears no. All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. All that were ordered as 6-speeds (m6's) came w/3:42's.[/QUOTE]

mine has the code for 2.73 gears it is a 98 TA Auto.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    mine has the code for 2.73 gears it is a 98 TA Auto.
    base auto trans ams came with GU2 2.73s, some auto base models (like mine) and all auto WS6s came with GU5 3.23s

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by WS6SP33D View Post

SLP made the SS until " " when GM started building them inhouse. ASC did all the WS6 conversions and SLP did all the Firehawks.

Differences from WS6 and 'Hawk

Looks and OPTIONS yes, gears no. All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. All that were ordered as 6-speeds (m6's) came w/3:42's.
    SLP made the conversions for all of the Firehawks, and the SS and WS6s in 96 & '97. In '98, GM started installing the basic suspension & exhaust upgrades and wheels for SS and WS6s in the St. Therese factory, then shipped the SSs to SLP and the WS6s to ASC for hood, and decal installation. WS6s also had their raised airbox installed at ASC. If the SS was slated for additional "SLP Y2Y options", SLP installed those while the car was there before shipping it back to St. Therese for final prep and shipment to the dealership. '99+ Firehawks were processed pretty much like the SSs.

And as was stated, the standard rear gear in an V8-A4 f-bod was 2.73 and 3.23 was and extra cost option. SS, Hawks and WS6s w/ the A4 required the 3.23 option to be installed (which resulted in A4 SS/WS6/Hawks to cost more than an equivalently equipped M6 car).

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by WS6SP33D
    What really separated the two were the extra SLP options that were available for Hawks which were: -Firehawk embroidered floor mats
    -Bilstein Suspension '99-'02 or 1LE '01-'02
    -Specific triple-chrome plated Firehawk wheels
    -Lower rear-deck SLP spoiler which were standard on Anniv. Hawks
    you forgot the useless $900 Auburn diff.

Thread Information